[UPDATE] Man arrested under suspicion of manslaughter (RIP - Adam Johnson passes away following horrific skate injury)

Miss Korea

22 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Avery said the kick was intentional but murder was not on the 31-year-old Sheffield Steelers’ player’s mind.

Avery responded: “That’s a pretty dangerous word to be throwing around. I’ve watched it, it’s terrible, it’s tough to watch. Did this kid make a move that was very unorthodox? Do I think he was trying to make contact of some sort? Absolutely.”

“I saw the hit … I saw the leg move. It shouldn’t have been where it was. It’s terrible. I can’t even watch the video back,” Avery said.

Even Sean Avery admits the kick was intentional. Petgrave may not have been looking to murder Johnson, however he WAS looking to kick him with his skate and possibly hurt him. That is at the very MINIMUM involuntary manslaughter. 

I hope the cops do their due diligence and arrest this guy. Let him go through the court process like McSorley had to. And I hope Johnson’s family sues everyone involved into oblivion. 

Intentional to impede and attempting to kill are two entirely different things. Anyone throwing out Murder accusations is a clown imo. 

• Thanks 2

If the NHL and Hockey Canada really cared, they would have made it mandatory for neck guards after Malarchuk nearly died.

I will be shocked if neck guards are added to required equipment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weird how the league has to ask the players union, my boss had control of what I wore.

Uniform, gloves, steel toed boots, traffic vests and clean shaven, so as to get a proper seal on the SCBAs

Maybe Work Safe should step in, and make it mandatory to wear guards in B.C. and all the other safety agencies can do the same in their jurisdiction.

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Intentional to impede and attempting to kill are two entirely different things. Anyone throwing out Murder accusations is a clown imo. 

Concisely put. And what I think Avery was saying when you remove the journalism from it. Could be wrong... I frequently am.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Gurn said:

If the NHL and Hockey Canada really cared, they would have made it mandatory for neck guards after Malarchuk nearly died.

I will be shocked if neck guards are added to required equipment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weird how the league has to ask the players union, my boss had control of what I wore.

Uniform, gloves, steel toed boots, traffic vests and clean shaven, so as to get a proper seal on the SCBAs

Maybe Work Safe should step in, and make it mandatory to wear guards in B.C. and all the other safety agencies can do the same in their jurisdiction.

Interesting point. In the England in particular and largely across the U.K. we have the Health and Safety Executive or HSE. They have a lot of powers to prosecute if there is a death or serious injury within the workplace. They won't just be looking at if the safety rules were applied and correct equipment was used. They will be looking at whether within reason the death was avoidable through the reasonable application of hazard awareness and risk assessment. In other words could more have been done that would have prevented injury or death and if so how onerous would those measures have been. If the balance slide towards an easy, inexpensive fix they can prosecute the league and teams for corporate manslaughter which is a prison sentence for the CEOs and Health and Safety officers. They can stop short of that and still level hefty and crippling fines.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dankmemes187 said:

Unfortunately it usually takes someone to die, before a change is made in safety. NHL should have professional safety managers going over ways to make the game more safe, maybe they do

If I were the NHL I'd just make them mandatory, period. Same goes for the AHL. Players would adapt the same way many had to adapt to mandatory visors. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Lou has his clean shaven rule which hasn't been fought by the NHLPA, I'm sure a team could implement a neck guard rule.

Was already touched on on 32 Thoughts Podcast, the league and teams cannot mandate equipment without agreement from the NHLPA. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 2

https://theathletic.com/5020477/2023/11/01/adam-johnson-death-matt-petgrave-investigation/?amp=1

Summary of pretty much everything said in here. But the bit about ambulances is bull give the ambulance station is pretty much next door to the Arena. Plus there are a ton of emergency first responders and first aiders on staff as well as doctors and physios. Plus the amazing trauma nurses who ran out of the stands to help.

What is right though is that the HSE will review the emergency plan and see if it was fit for purpose. It is pretty clear with their involvement that the investigation is very wide ranging.

The arena regularly holds big events including band tours so is well connected and well stocked. Other teams around the EIHL where the fan base is smaller won't be.

• Cheers 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-67297775

For reference again this is quite normal if some one dies suddenly in the work place.  An inquest is not something that looks specifically at individual responsibility. It will look at culture and how easily things could be different even if something extraordinary happens. I think this will go deep into hockey culture and why player safety is not taken as seriously as it should be.

https://twitter.com/steelershockey/status/1720051407598821750?t=tBOg3ZHlMFLMUKUT5JwIQg&s=19

Link to Steeldogs (Steelers unofficial 'B' team of ex vets and youngsters) with ref to how AJ will be honoured. IceSheffield is a two olympic standard ice rinks adjacent to the Arena and is Steelers practice facility. It's expected by the games end the planned vigil will be starting.