[UPDATE] Man arrested under suspicion of manslaughter (RIP - Adam Johnson passes away following horrific skate injury)

Miss Korea

I'm originally from Nottingham, and while i've lived in Vancouver now for over 20 years - i grew up watching the Panthers which formed my love of hockey as well as following the local football team Nottingham Forest who followers of the EPL will know were promoted back to the top flight of English football last year for the first time in 23 years.

At today's EPL game where Forest played midlands rivals Aston Villa the club held a tribute to Adam Johnson where the fans waiving his number in the crowds : 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/video/nottingham-forest-fans-honour-former-nhl-er-adam-johnson-in-47th-minute-of-epl-match/

Forest smashed their old Brummie rivals in the game with the second goal coming from Orel Johnson Mangala  - some shit is just weird man. RIP #47.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I'm originally from Nottingham, and while i've lived in Vancouver now for over 20 years - i grew up watching the Panthers which formed my love of hockey as well as following the local football team Nottingham Forest who followers of the EPL will know were promoted back to the top flight of English football last year for the first time in 23 years.

At today's EPL game where Forest played midlands rivals Aston Villa the club held a tribute to Adam Johnson where the fans waiving his number in the crowds : 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/video/nottingham-forest-fans-honour-former-nhl-er-adam-johnson-in-47th-minute-of-epl-match/

Forest smashed their old Brummie rivals in the game with the second goal coming from Orel Johnson Mangala  - some shit is just weird man. RIP #47.

Hey Eddie, I live in Sheffield and have done for the past 21 years. Not far from Blades - and we've all seen how bad they are in the prem this year.

Wednesday and Rotherham also held a tribute to AJ. I think that is telling as to how it's affected the local community. You know just how much Panthers and Steelers are traditionally fiercest of rivals. But everyone is pulling together to deal with the grief.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Even Wayne Gretzky, the greatest player of them all, doesn't believe it was an accident...

Wayne Gretzky: "It's also a sad story for the other player that sorta committed the "so called accident"...

It's hard because there's quite a bit of ambiguity in terms thrown out there. Journalist jump on anything to push the extreme.

'intent' - intent for what? Slashing a throat? Impeding a player? Chest? Kicking out?

'accident' - because he never intended to make contact with his throat but intended to impede? Or they stumbled into each other?

It certainly looks bad but I don't think we're all (generic royal we) square on the terms and there seems to be a lot of arguments going on where people are saying the same thing but in different words.

This weekend though has been one of a lot of tributes, thoughts, and love for AJ as well as moving through the grief for the fans and players who were there.

There's another week to come and more revelations to follow I'm sure.

37 minutes ago, Eddie said:

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 10/31/2023 at 12:23 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

The part that makes me even more upset is that Petgrave was the only player on the ice who did not skate towards Johnson to see what had happened and to help.  He literally skated away from him and all of the other players.  Even Petgrave's teammates skated towards Johnson to try and help, one guy skated to the trainer to help him get to Johnson quickly.  Petgrave was literally on the other side of the ice just staring at Johnson while he was bleeding to death.  This is quite disturbing to me as a human being...

The guy was in shock... You have zero idea how anyone's going to react when something this intense is going down. Going into traumatic shock is a self defense mechanism that you have zero control over and some of the symptoms are disassociation and confusion.

Saying how a person reacts when they are in shock is "disturbing" is ridiculous to me. I've personally witnessed the process of shock and it's pretty surreal how people will react to incredibly tragic events when the mind is essentially shutting down to protect their brain.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Rrodja said:

Hey Eddie, I live in Sheffield and have done for the past 21 years. Not far from Blades - and we've all seen how bad they are in the prem this year.

Wednesday and Rotherham also held a tribute to AJ. I think that is telling as to how it's affected the local community. You know just how much Panthers and Steelers are traditionally fiercest of rivals. But everyone is pulling together to deal with the grief.

Hey pal !  Nice representing the wonders of Yorkshire. I worked in Sheffield for about 5 years in the 90's. My mom still lives just outside Rotherham.  

Panthers and Steelers used to have a huge rivalry back in the day. Similar to Blades and Forest. Yeah not looking great for the Blades thus far, but anything can happen, with maybe a large points deduction from Everton, and Luton, Bournemouth being stapled down there too - could be one place up for grabs. Worst case it hopefully puts the financial problems behind them and they can come back stronger again.

Huge sporting tragedy what happened to A.J but great to see the outpouring of support from around the global sporting world. 

• Cheers 1

When I first saw the incident, I thought it was an accident for sure. The more I watch it, it appears he was trying to connect with AJ47. I do not believe there is any chance he was trying to kill the guy but maybe he interfered knowing he was going to go down and lose both guys in the process. Whatever the case, it is scary and sad. 

• Cheers 1

On 11/6/2023 at 7:48 PM, Eddie said:

Hey pal !  Nice representing the wonders of Yorkshire. I worked in Sheffield for about 5 years in the 90's. My mom still lives just outside Rotherham.  

Panthers and Steelers used to have a huge rivalry back in the day. Similar to Blades and Forest. Yeah not looking great for the Blades thus far, but anything can happen, with maybe a large points deduction from Everton, and Luton, Bournemouth being stapled down there too - could be one place up for grabs. Worst case it hopefully puts the financial problems behind them and they can come back stronger again.

Huge sporting tragedy what happened to A.J but great to see the outpouring of support from around the global sporting world. 

https://www.nottinghamforest.news/2023/11/06/nottingham-panthers-send-touching-message-over-adam-johnson-to-nottingham-forest-after-orel-mangalas-goal-on-sunday/

Should imagine this hit your usual channels. But if not - nice to see the sports in general standing together. Noted Notts County too.

Panthers are not playing this weekend. But Steelers seem to be. Manchester Storm have issued a statement on their feeds that although they appreciate games are a local rivalry, the tragedy of Adam's death will have affected their opponents fans who may find it hard to come back to the rink..... and they look forward to welcoming them making them feel safe.

https://www.sheffieldtalkingtherapies.nhs.uk/wellbeing-support-ice-hockey-fans

Steelers played there first game back tonight at Manchester Storm. The Storm made it clear before the game that all rivalries we're off and they looked forward to welcoming their hockey fan brethren. 

Steelers play again tomorrow at home for the first time - and have made sure mental health support is present and visible throughout the arena. Over 7000 tickets have already been sold.

• Upvote 1