[UPDATE] Man arrested under suspicion of manslaughter (RIP - Adam Johnson passes away following horrific skate injury)

Miss Korea

4 hours ago, Rrodja said:

https://www.sheffieldtalkingtherapies.nhs.uk/wellbeing-support-ice-hockey-fans

Steelers played there first game back tonight at Manchester Storm. The Storm made it clear before the game that all rivalries we're off and they looked forward to welcoming their hockey fan brethren. 

Steelers play again tomorrow at home for the first time - and have made sure mental health support is present and visible throughout the arena. Over 7000 tickets have already been sold.

Just play hockey. A freak accident that happens once in a century. More babies died from Fentanyl in BC in the last day. Priorities 

After watching a video several times, it looks like he intentionally raised his leg to kick Adam Johnson.

Did he mean to kill him? Probably not, but when you raise sharp blade towards someone body, you run a risk of injuring or even killing that person. Kind of like throwing one punch, if the person dies as a result, you get charged with involuntary manslaughter. I hope he gets charged for his reckless act, and extradited to the U.S. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 5forFighting said:

Just play hockey. A freak accident that happens once in a century. More babies died from Fentanyl in BC in the last day. Priorities 

Ummm... Apologies I'm not sure what you find wrong with the talking therapy article. They are going to play hockey. Which is great.

But any fan who feels overwhelmed going back to the rink once they are there can find help.

• Upvote 1

https://www.bbc.com/sport/ice-hockey/67399251

The Steelers twitter (X) feed has a bunch interviews and bits of tape on the stick taps and memorial video. The coach Fox chat is pretty good at briefly showing the teams state. And that Panthers must be a level higher. 

Warning though there was a show of support for MP on 22nd min mark. The local community including a majority of Panthers fans have stood in support of MP. In part I think that's to do with how people are processing their grief.

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

I hope this was done because of a diligent investigation; and not to placate the masses.

As it stands it's an arrest on suspicion of manslaughter (which is very wide ranging). This means the police have enough evidence for an arrest but still need to do more to charge and send on to the CPS who can then determine if there is enough evidence to prosecute. It is due process and diligence BUT it is also a sign that there investigations are gathering enough evidence to arrest

• Thanks 2

• Miss Korea changed the title to [UPDATE] Man arrested under suspicion of manslaughter (RIP - Adam Johnson passes away following horrific skate injury)

NEW: Hockey player Matt Petgrave is given a standing ovation by his team's fans after he slashed the throat of Adam Johnson who later died As the match began, a photo of Petgrave, who was not present, appeared on the screen which prompted the standing ovation. Johnson's family is livid with the death, as they put the blame on Petgrave for the fatal kick. "It was very reckless. I just want them [police] to get it right. We are looking for justice for Adam," said the aunt, Kari Johnson after the incident. "You don't take your leg and kick somebody and cut their throat. I'm sorry." "He took our boy. There are a few of us in the family that think it was a totally unnecessary, very, very bad action to take." Kari Johnson also spoke out about how Johnson's parents are dealing with the incident. "As far as his dad, my brother, he's just been a mess. Along with Adam's grandma and Adam's brother and myself." "I would have to say his mother has probably been the strongest of us. But I don't know deep down inside if she's in shock or crying when she's alone. She's just been very strong."

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Thanks God.  That kick was so blatant.  Any normal person would be able to see it as intentional.  At the very minimum, it is involuntary manslaughter...

There is a small possibility that Petgrave is not the one who was arrested.  It could be someone else, like whoever was in charge of health and safety of the rink.  

Likely that it's Petgrave.  Just not a certainty. 

Bear in mind that the UK Police only need to make arrests on reasonable suspicion and not probable cause.  It takes less to make the arrest and no charges have been filed yet.

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why are these clowns in England giving Matt Petgrave a standing ovation?  Are these people sick?

I did a bit of digging and it seems like the vast majority of English hockey fans (including Nottingham) believe this was a freak accident and not a homicide.  In particular, they are supporting Petgrave because of the horrendous racial abuse he has received ever since.

So yes, from a certain point of view, Matt Petgrave is also the victim of this incident.  At least that seems to be the position taken by EIHL fans.

tumblr_ca0380d1b29125461cb48171444762b0_e23149d3_540.gif.7fce845e8648cf0722e9cf2b90c2a471.gif

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I did a bit of digging and it seems like the vast majority of English hockey fans (including Nottingham) believe this was a freak accident and not a homicide.  In particular, they are supporting Petgrave because of the horrendous racial abuse he has received ever since.

So yes, from a certain point of view, Matt Petgrave is also the victim of this incident.  At least that seems to be the position taken by EIHL fans.

tumblr_ca0380d1b29125461cb48171444762b0_e23149d3_540.gif.7fce845e8648cf0722e9cf2b90c2a471.gif

So, if he gets charged with murder is he still considered a "victim"?

4 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Maybe.  It would depend on a bunch of things.

But you're jumping ahead here.  No way this turns into a murder charge.

Involuntary manslaughter is going to be the minimum charge here.  And there is no way in hell he would be considered a victim if this happens.  If the UK media tries to do that, they will get roasted and humiliated...

38 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why are these clowns in England giving Matt Petgrave a standing ovation?  Are these people sick?

I'm on your side with respect to the manslaughter charge, but I also have sympathy for Petgrave. It was not a hockey play, plain and simple; Petgrave positioned his leg to impede Johnson. But at the same time, Petgrave could not have wanted to go for Johnson's neck and kill him. There's no world where Petgrave intentionally killed Johnson. It's just not the reality of the situation. He was crying on the ice.

It was a reckless and dangerous play, and I agree that it appears to be some variation of manslaughter from what I've read of English criminal law, but I do feel awful for Petgrave. What he thought he was doing is far removed from what ended up happening.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

This is ridiculous. There is no way he purposefully was trying to kick the guy in the neck. Every hockey player knows what a skate to the neck can do. This was a pure accident. Not manslaughter.

If you had to charge him with anything, it should be a lessor charge such as criminal negligence causing death. Where he ought to have known better and was reckless in his actions. 

This was not manslaughter. Not even close. There was no intent to cause harm. 

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

This is ridiculous. There is no way he purposefully was trying to kick the guy in the neck. Every hockey player knows what a skate to the neck can do. This was a pure accident. Not manslaughter.

If you had to charge him with anything, it should be a lessor charge such as criminal negligence causing death. Where he ought to have known better and was reckless in his actions. 

This was not manslaughter. Not even close. There was no intent to cause harm. 

There's such a thing as accidental (involuntary) manslaughter. Negligence causing death is manslaughter in some jurisdictions; in the UK there's "gross negligence manslaughter," for example.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Involuntary manslaughter is going to be the minimum charge here.  And there is no way in hell he would be considered a victim if this happens.  If the UK media tries to do that, they will get roasted and humiliated...

The UK media has done nothing but vilify him and the amount of abuse he has received on social media is disgusting.  A reckless move doesn't make you a "coon" or a "n****r" and yet that’s what people online are calling him.

As it stands the police have arrested him on suspicion of manslaughter but charging is the next step if they feel it is enough evidence to convict. That will take a day or two to confirm. But I think the direction of travel is clear.

It is slightly complicated by the fact it was in a sporting arena and for it to be a chargeable offence they need to demonstrate a gross deviation from the agreed rules. It has to be clear and obvious.

That's why the police have had experts to discuss this with and I think they now are pretty much on with deciding this is a none hockey play and have arrested him.

I'm not taking sides. I'm trying to show the process.

With regard to Steelers Fans just think how difficult it was for some to go back to the rink. Even the Panthers player's are in support of MP. I put this down to partly needing it to be an accident to cope better. But also because of the gate Matt got.

But again the word accident is loaded. It is an accident because he never meant to cut his throat. But that doesn't mean it couldn't qualify as manslaughter.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The UK media has done nothing but vilify him and the amount of abuse he has received on social media is disgusting.  A reckless move doesn't make you a "coon" or a "n****r" and yet that’s what people online are calling him.

That is a select bunch. And very narrow. I live in the U.K. and it's no worse than anywhere else I'm afraid.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, if he gets charged with murder is he still considered a "victim"?

For this to be murder he'd have had to have planned his move and had some motive for doing so in advance of the game.

The problem is the term manslaughter covers a multitude of offences at that's the case here in the U.K. It can be just one tiny step up from a freak accident. 

The ridiculous accounts from far right groups in the U.K. and North America from a very small group of people are utterly horrible and Yes MP has been a victim of hate.

• Cheers 1