[Article] The Vancouver Canucks should be worried about Pius Suter

RWJC

8 hours ago, RWJC said:

Very true, but he is also supposed to be counted on for some scoring and no points in 8 games will become a legit concern if it continues. When we hit dry spells which we will, hopefully by then he‘ll be able to provide some production. Good teams have scoring support all through the lineup, we’ll need it at some point.

I am personally more concerned about Beaus prodution and general play. If he doesn't score or create he doesn't really help the team much. 
Suter hasn't scored yet, but he has been in the thick of the action, and generated grade A chances... surely the bubble will burst soon. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, RWJC said:

It is definitely wayyy too early for someone to write an article/opinion piece like this but I posted it for the sake of discussion as to what are our potential options should we lack some tertiary scoring.

If he’s not moved, Garland on 3rd line is a strong viability. Lafferty appears to be able to provide some pts. Maybe Hogs and Blueger too? But if you take a solid look at the 3/4 they’re definitely built more to defend, which I like. Question is, longterm, who is going to provide some pts?

Suter is seeing a regression from his initial season in point totals:

IMG_9127.thumb.png.e09f46faaace7386781ab4d2b2823704.png

I guess what I’m asking after the post is what does everyone think his pts ceiling/expectation is for this season?

I’m not sure if he’ll eclipse 20pts, but that’s fine if he’s continuing to play great defensively. 

Thanks for posting these articles amigo. 
A lot of us would see them, unless they are being posted by your good self, so cheers to that 👍

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Thanks for posting these articles amigo. 
A lot of us would see them, unless they are being posted by your good self, so cheers to that 👍

Thanks Spook, much appreciated!

Yeah, articles like this one are a bit annoying in that it seems nitpicky, and I hesitate to post opinions intent on just trashing the club, but I think this one presents a bigger point which is IF the players we’re counting on to produce some O in their 3rd and 4th line roles don’t, and because traditionally they aren’t known for producing strong O numbers, should the top 6 get in a funk where is our depth offense going to come from?  

It’s not worth freaking out about right now…it’s so early in the season and for all the reasons listed by posters above, there’s still lost of time for things to gel and points to come. 
But I would hazard a guess it’s already a subject of slight concern in the back of PA’s and Tocchet’s minds. 

As fans who’ve been through some lean years, we may be quite overtly pleased with the current play and work ethic of the club. But I bet you mgmt isn’t just yet, and based on their own experience and pedigree I would dare to safely assume that the current  O production stats of the 3/4 lines  present a bit of priority for mgmt to as to how to potentially eventually address. 

7 players

11pts combined

51gp total 

That’s not quite encouraging just yet. 
Yes as many have posted, it’s fine if the underlying defensive metrics are solid, which they are. Going back to last season, although we didn’t have the personnel for it, I was a proponent of playing a top 6 O focus and and an evenly balanced bottom 6 F who’s sole purpose of those two lines was to play a strong defensive shut down game with minimal focus on O. Because of how we were playing a run and gun style, I though it might be beneficial to run it that way. Appears with the influx of defensive minded players, Tocchet and mgmt are on the same page with each other as to what they need and how to balance this team’s evolving strengths.

It’s working for sure and I’m really enjoying watching this team right now. 

At the same, I think it’s important that as fans we don’t become complacent with a little success. By all means be excited and enjoy it, but It’s proactive to also provide a little focus (and discussion) on where the team can still improve. It’s not being negative, it’s also not taking for granted what we’re seeing happen…I think it’s due diligence that becomes the hallmark of a competitive club that also has a higher expectation of itself. The insatiable aspect or ability to constantly refine is what drives the best clubs forward.

VGK and all the others are constantly looking to improve. They don’t rest on their laurels…they are always upgrading or planning for it. I think it’s a good mentality to keep and one to adopt and in our case, given our asset pool and redundancies, it’s healthy to dissect where and what we need going forward. 

Just my two cents without complaining about some of the crap we generally read about this club from a variety of pundits. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RWJC said:

Thanks Spook, much appreciated!

Yeah, articles like this one are a bit annoying in that it seems nitpicky, and I hesitate to post opinions intent on just trashing the club, but I think this one presents a bigger point which is IF the players we’re counting on to produce some O in their 3rd and 4th line roles don’t, and because traditionally they aren’t known for producing strong O numbers, should the top 6 get in a funk where is our depth offense going to come from?  

It’s not worth freaking out about right now…it’s so early in the season and for all the reasons listed by posters above, there’s still lost of time for things to gel and points to come. 
But I would hazard a guess it’s already a subject of slight concern in the back of PA’s and Tocchet’s minds. 

As fans who’ve been through some lean years, we may be quite overtly pleased with the current play and work ethic of the club. But I bet you mgmt isn’t just yet, and based on their own experience and pedigree I would dare to safely assume that the current  O production stats of the 3/4 lines  present a bit of priority for mgmt to as to how to potentially eventually address. 

7 players

11pts combined

51gp total 

That’s not quite encouraging just yet. 
Yes as many have posted, it’s fine if the underlying defensive metrics are solid, which they are. Going back to last season, although we didn’t have the personnel for it, I was a proponent of playing a top 6 O focus and and an evenly balanced bottom 6 F who’s sole purpose of those two lines was to play a strong defensive shut down game with minimal focus on O. Because of how we were playing a run and gun style, I though it might be beneficial to run it that way. Appears with the influx of defensive minded players, Tocchet and mgmt are on the same page with each other as to what they need and how to balance this team’s evolving strengths.

It’s working for sure and I’m really enjoying watching this team right now. 

At the same, I think it’s important that as fans we don’t become complacent with a little success. By all means be excited and enjoy it, but It’s proactive to also provide a little focus (and discussion) on where the team can still improve. It’s not being negative, it’s also not taking for granted what we’re seeing happen…I think it’s due diligence that becomes the hallmark of a competitive club that also has a higher expectation of itself. The insatiable aspect or ability to constantly refine is what drives the best clubs forward.

VGK and all the others are constantly looking to improve. They don’t rest on their laurels…they are always upgrading or planning for it. I think it’s a good mentality to keep and one to adopt and in our case, given our asset pool and redundancies, it’s healthy to dissect where and what we need going forward. 

Just my two cents without complaining about some of the crap we generally read about this club from a variety of pundits. 

Well that was a very good post amigo. 

And I'm happy you and others a posting these articles on here... me may or may not agree with the articles, but we should never stop listening to others points of view.... If you do, you go backwards ( a bit like Benning). 
There's zero doubt, that the concerns raised are being discussed behind the closed doors. I would be foolish to believe mangement just sat back, and enjoyed a few drinks in the present environment. 
We do have to have secondary scoring, and it remains to be seen if we get that from the bottom 6, however I think the discussion won't really surface until around game 20-25...

Joshua scored a good few last season, and Hoggy looks to have found an extra gear. 
suter has had grade A chances, which surely is going to materialize into goals at some stage. Maybe Podz will get a look at some stage as well. 
Mean time I think its very important to remember, that while they haven't been finishing their chances yet, they have stemmed the flow of goals against, and that was the first priority leading up to this season. 
We definitely look like another animal defensively now. 
And the D has begun to chip in as well, which was also sorely needed. 

Finally, wonder if the could find a local retiring player, who fancies to play a season or two on a low cost contract, for a team that could go far in the play offs.... A Benn type of player on the 3rd line? Now that would change the dynamics. 
Some of the contenders seems able to find a few of these.... why not us...

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, boziffous said:

4 games later......

Suter on pace for career high in goals

20 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

3 goals and a 59% face off percentage in his last 3 games.... sooooooooo worried!

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

lol this aged nicely

Suter must’ve read the article!

• Haha 3

On 10/30/2023 at 8:57 AM, Rekker said:

Really? This needs to be an article. Suter hasn't put up points but he's been reliable and good defensively, which this team had struggled with. Glad I didn't waste anytime reading it. Nothing to see here.

Didn’t read it either sounds like a stupid article

• Cheers 1