[Article] The Vancouver Canucks should be worried about Pius Suter

RWJC

Suter isn't a 'line driver' type of player.  Even Pete would struggle to put up numbers on that line.

Hopefully PA will find a way to and another W who can help with the offense.  

Fortunately, it hasn't been an issue for the team.  Suter is great on faceoffs, has a terrific 5 on 5

defensive game and is huge addition to the PK.

• Cheers 1

It's very early - I would like to remind everyone of that. The sample size is so small, and he is trying to find his way on a new team. We cannot afford to keep moving guys due to low performance - at least for this year until the cap rises. While I haven't seen him do much, that includes being a defensive liability, which means he's at least holding his own on that side of the equation. Honestly, if your top six can't shoulder the bulk of the scoring, there's a problem. Luckily, we've been just fine in that regard.

• Cheers 1

Pius Suter is great defensively and on the PK. He is also getting some chances to score but a bit snake bitten and hasn't capitalize on them. I think part of this is that he hasn't develop chemistry with Beauvillier or Garland. I actually like Garland on that 3rd line with Suter and if that line of Garlnd-Suter-Beauvillier got some chemistry going, they can be a bit of a scoring threat as all 3 players are capable of scoring around 15 goals in an 82 game schedule.

• Cheers 1

I agree, its a little too early to be concerned but we are going to need one of the bottom lines contributing if we want to compete in the playoffs. 

However, I did notice that Bluegar was pushing play and developing chances in the preseason. I would like to see him on the 3rd line and get Suter to anchor the 4th line, We shall see.

• Like 1

Suter (or his agent?) made some comments early on about coming in with a PK / defensive focus. 

Scoring will come with time.  As it stands, I’ve noticed the 4th line in a good way lately - and with a pair of PPG+ players driving the top 6 - as long as everyone playing a 200 foot game I like our chances.  

• Cheers 1

I like his defensive IQ a lot.  He has been doing really well in the face off dot too. I think it’s a matter of finding the right chemistry in the bottom 6. Canucks have too many bodies so a Garland trade would help imo, and of course I want to see Aman/Bluegar reunited.  Personally:

Hoagie Sutr Lafferty

Aman Bluegar Joshua/Studnicka

Yeah as most are saying, I like Suter. Not too worried right now about his lack of production. He does a lot fairly well and costs very little. Better linemates and combinations should help with points. 

If they had a better big winger for that line I think a Suter/Hoglander/Big Winger could be something that works. Unfortunately Joshua hasn't really found a scoring touch so far. 

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I wouldn't be worried about him, he wasn't brought in to score points. He always makes some nice defensive plays and looks alright on the PK. We're still in the bottom half of the PK but far better than last season. 

Blueger coming back will really help Suter but I wouldn't fuss about him. He costs us under 2M and does a job.

Meanwhile Garland costs us 5M and does what? Beauvillier costs us over 4M and does what? That's 9M in cap space essentially wasted and what could easily be replaced by AHLers or 1M-type players. 

Don't focus on Suter...look at our other big issues and that's really his useless wingers. Suter hasn't been excellent but he hasn't been bad and certainly not when you consider his role and what he costs us.

Although I agree we shouldn't be terribly worried right now, he was brought in for his defensive prowess and his ability to score 15 goals a year. So far, he's been good defensively but not offensively. To go far in this league, we need his 15 goals to goal with his defence. 

This is a “ We need to write something negative about the team, who’s pointless?”column that our never happy media have to find something to bitch about the team. Honestly if we are complaining about a bottom six that’s really just there to help keep goal differential down and makes 1.6 million a year, who the hell pissed in Jonathan Bailey‘s cereal? He’s a stop gap 3C stop trying to find anything to be salty about and enjoy the good start.

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Like 1

Looking forward to seeing what the bottom six looks like with Blueger back playing.  

Hoping the 3rd line can become an advantage for the Canucks at 5 on 5 and think it can with Garland on it. 

Suter  Garland
Blueger  Hoglander    

Who else would best fit the 3rd and 4th lines?   Likely needs some size.  

Suter strikes me as a player that could mesh well with Petey in the event of an injury to Kuzmenko or Micheyev.