[Proposal] Vancouver - Montreal

Canucks make a trade to add some size to the forward group in a trade with Montreal

Vancouver sends:

Garland 4.95m x 3yrs - I know... small guy going to a team with Caufield and Gallagher. Like Anderson off to a poor start with 1g 1a in 8gp so far this year. Not signed by this GM also

Montreal sends:

Anderson 5.5m x 3yrs - Brings size and physicality and could compliment a scoring line and chip in some goals. Can also be 2nd PP unit net front presence guy.

Kuzmenko Pettersson Andersson

DiGusieppe Miller Boeser

Hoglander Suter Mikheyev

Joshua Blueger Lafferty

• Cheers 1

As a Montreal fan I'd MUCH rather keep Anderson.  Hughes has publicly said he loves what Anderson brings to .the team and there have been credible reports that he turned down an offer that included a 1st round pick.  

Montreal already.  has a younger, cheaper version of Garland in Rapheal Harvey-Pinard.  I can't see Montreal having any interest at all in this proposal. 

• ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

As a Montreal fan I'd MUCH rather keep Anderson.  Hughes has publicly said he loves what Anderson brings to .the team and there have been credible reports that he turned down an offer that included a 1st round pick.  

Montreal already.  has a younger, cheaper version of Garland in Rapheal Harvey-Pinard.  I can't see Montreal having any interest at all in this proposal. 

Thanks for your input, I figured it wouldn't actually happen but trying to find a player who can fit with Kuz and EP that has some size

On 10/31/2023 at 4:21 AM, Viking said:

Thanks for your input, I figured it wouldn't actually happen but trying to find a player who can fit with Kuz and EP that has some size

Garland for Anderson would be a really good deal for Vancouver (for the reasons you mentioned) but I can't see Montreal wanting to do this.  The Canucks would likely have to add something here (prospect or a pick?) to make it worthwhile for Montreal.  

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

On 10/30/2023 at 12:56 PM, Viking said:

Canucks make a trade to add some size to the forward group in a trade with Montreal

Vancouver sends:

Garland 4.95m x 3yrs - I know... small guy going to a team with Caufield and Gallagher. Like Anderson off to a poor start with 1g 1a in 8gp so far this year. Not signed by this GM also

Montreal sends:

Anderson 5.5m x 3yrs - Brings size and physicality and could compliment a scoring line and chip in some goals. Can also be 2nd PP unit net front presence guy.

DiGusieppe Miller Boeser

Hoglander Suter Mikheyev

Joshua Blueger Lafferty

I'd probably be good with this, but the only way a trade involving Vancouver and bringing in other players works is where more salary is going out than coming in, or that it's a dollar for dollar trade. Canucks don't have wiggle room, we're sitting at $162,500 of LTIR room. Would need Montreal to retain at least the difference in salaries and they would ask for something extra to do that. Anderson is currently under performing, maybe we could convince them to take Garland and retain 1 million on Anderson?

With the LTIR space that Montreal has, I really feel like they are a solid trade partner for us as we can likely move someone with less retained if the deal is right, but it comes down to asset needs as well.

We are rolling pretty well right now, but we still have deficiencies as a team, I think we could use a little more physical edge to the team and we have too many middle six guys. As strong as our offense has been, #1 in the league right now for goals scored, our production is top heavy for the most part. We haven't been getting that balanced production from our bottom 6 which I think comes down to mix. Neither Garland or Beauvillier are great fits in bottom six positions, they need to be playing further up the lineup to really be effective. I'd love to move both of those guys to a team that needs middle - top six guys in exchange for a little more sandpaper on the 3rd line and defense.

I'd love to reshuffle our right side defense a little more, I think Friedman has been pretty solid since we picked him up from Pittsburgh, but I'm not convinced that he can maintain current usage over the whole season. He's the lowest minutes per game of all the D so far this year, playing under 15 minutes per night. Would like to see another guy capable of eating up at least 17 min a night.

I'm pretty sure that Zadorov is done in Calgary after this season, I don't see him re-signing there in their current state. I hate helping Calgary, but I wonder if they would consider Myers with 2.25 retained plus a 2023 4th round pick for Zadorov (assuming his personal issues don't run too long, they might be that he's stuck in Calgary). This would still leave them with a big D who could get them to the trade deadline and then move him for another pick.

23 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'd probably be good with this, but the only way a trade involving Vancouver and bringing in other players works is where more salary is going out than coming in, or that it's a dollar for dollar trade. Canucks don't have wiggle room, we're sitting at $162,500 of LTIR room. Would need Montreal to retain at least the difference in salaries and they would ask for something extra to do that. Anderson is currently under performing, maybe we could convince them to take Garland and retain 1 million on Anderson?

With the LTIR space that Montreal has, I really feel like they are a solid trade partner for us as we can likely move someone with less retained if the deal is right, but it comes down to asset needs as well.

We are rolling pretty well right now, but we still have deficiencies as a team, I think we could use a little more physical edge to the team and we have too many middle six guys. As strong as our offense has been, #1 in the league right now for goals scored, our production is top heavy for the most part. We haven't been getting that balanced production from our bottom 6 which I think comes down to mix. Neither Garland or Beauvillier are great fits in bottom six positions, they need to be playing further up the lineup to really be effective. I'd love to move both of those guys to a team that needs middle - top six guys in exchange for a little more sandpaper on the 3rd line and defense.

I'd love to reshuffle our right side defense a little more, I think Friedman has been pretty solid since we picked him up from Pittsburgh, but I'm not convinced that he can maintain current usage over the whole season. He's the lowest minutes per game of all the D so far this year, playing under 15 minutes per night. Would like to see another guy capable of eating up at least 17 min a night.

I'm pretty sure that Zadorov is done in Calgary after this season, I don't see him re-signing there in their current state. I hate helping Calgary, but I wonder if they would consider Myers with 2.25 retained plus a 2023 4th round pick for Zadorov (assuming his personal issues don't run too long, they might be that he's stuck in Calgary). This would still leave them with a big D who could get them to the trade deadline and then move him for another pick.

Ive said  it before, i'll say it again. Montreal (more specifically Hughes and Martin St Louis) like what Anderson can bring to the table.  He offers something to the team  that Garland can't. Garland is an expensive redundant oprion to guys like RHP (yes I know he's hurt) and Ylonen. They also have Joshua Roy tearing up the AHL

I highly doubt Montréal would have any interest in this trade, let alone using thier LAST retention slot for multiple years. 

Edited by qwijjibo

7 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Ive said  it before, i'll say it again. Montreal (more specifically Hughes and Martin St Louis) like what Anderson can bring to the table.  He offers something to the team  that Garland can't. Garland is an expensive redundant oprion to guys like RHP (yes I know he's hurt) and Ylonen. They also have Joshua Roy tearing up the AHL

I highly doubt Montréal would have any interest in this trade, let alone using thier LAST retention slot for multiple years. 

I do not disagree with you!!! 🙂

• Upvote 1

Garland is pretty small, doesn't take up that much space....couldn't someone just store him somewhere for a couple of seasons until his contract expires or becomes tradeable? 

Anyone here who would agree to make sure he's fed and watered for a couple of years???

😉

NO, I'm not seriously endorsing kidnapping....at least I'm reasonably sure that I'm not... like 60% sure at least...

.....maybe 55%

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2023 at 3:56 PM, Viking said:

Vancouver sends:

Montreal sends:

DiGusieppe Miller Boeser

Hoglander Suter Mikheyev

Joshua Blueger Lafferty

I'm wondering if this could be a possibility given Anderson's struggle's this season?  

14 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I'm wondering if this could be a possibility given Anderson's struggle's this season?  

Hughes seems to favour larger players. He inherited a bunch of small skilled guys but chose Slafkovskey over Wright abd Reinbacher over Michkov.  I can't see Garland having any appeal when they already have their share of small forwards.  

Also, Anderson has had terrible puck luck.  He's playing well and moneypuck has him with an expected goals of around 9.  He'll turn it around.

Finally, despite the fact that he didn't sign Anderson Hughes is clearly a fan of the player.  He's reportedly turned down substantial offers for Anderson.  I don't see him selling  low on him now 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

Hughes seems to favour larger players. He inherited a bunch of small skilled guys but chose Slafkovskey over Wright abd Reinbacher over Michkov.  I can't see Garland having any appeal when they already have their share of small forwards.  

Also, Anderson has had terrible puck luck.  He's playing well and moneypuck has him with an expected goals of around 9.  He'll turn it around.

Finally, despite the fact that he didn't sign Anderson Hughes is clearly a fan of the player.  He's reportedly turned down substantial offers for Anderson.  I don't see him selling  low on him now 

Maybe Kuzmenko for Anderson?  Kuzmenko isn't huge, but he is 5'11.  

If Kuz regains his form from last season, him and Caulfield could definitely work some magic.  

15 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Maybe Kuzmenko for Anderson?  Kuzmenko isn't huge, but he is 5'11.  

If Kuz regains his form from last season, him and Caulfield could definitely work some magic.  

Montreal has Caufield playing with Suzuki and Slafkovsky and the line is looking good.  Slafkovsky has the size to dig pucks out of the corner and be a netfront presence that the other two lack.  On the flip side he doesn't have the setup ability that Kuzmenko has so it's something they might consider. 

If Dach wasn't out for the season and Newhook out long term they could mix and match to make up for the kick of size from Caufield, Suzuki and Kuzmenko.

All in all Kuzmenko would be a more interesting target for Montreal than Garland.  

Ps, I don't believe Kuzmenko will ever repeat what he did last season.  Shooting 27% just isn't repeatable 

Edited by qwijjibo
  • Cheers 1

What about something around Mikheyev for Anderson?  Mikheyev isn't a small guy and brings speed and skill to the lineup.  Anderson brings meat and potatoes with grit.  I think we need more of what Anderson brings to Peteys line than what Mikeyev brings.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

What about something around Mikheyev for Anderson?  Mikheyev isn't a small guy and brings speed and skill to the lineup.  Anderson brings meat and potatoes with grit.  I think we need more of what Anderson brings to Peteys line than what Mikeyev brings.

It's probably something Montreal would consider.  My concern is exactly what you mentioned.  Anderson has a pretty unique co.bi action of speed, size and skill.  He's been extraordinarily unlucky with injuries and this seadon moneypuck has him as the 3rd most unlucky player in the league when it comes to scoring.  (Kuzmenko is around 15th I think).

It feels like a decent change of scenery kind of deal but Mikheyev kinda has a Joel Armia feel to me.  Can look great for a stretch then utterly disappears.  

I think it has potential  depending on how Hughes and St Louis are feeling about Anderson right now.  Despite his struggles finding the back of the bet there's been no lack of effort. He gives his all every shift. That alone could keep him in Montreal over taking on Mikheyev 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

It's probably something Montreal would consider.  My concern is exactly what you mentioned.  Anderson has a pretty unique co.bi action of speed, size and skill.  He's been extraordinarily unlucky with injuries and this seadon moneypuck has him as the 3rd most unlucky player in the league when it comes to scoring.  (Kuzmenko is around 15th I think).

It feels like a decent change of scenery kind of deal but Mikheyev kinda has a Joel Armia feel to me.  Can look great for a stretch then utterly disappears.  

I think it has potential  depending on how Hughes and St Louis are feeling about Anderson right now.  Despite his struggles finding the back of the bet there's been no lack of effort. He gives his all every shift. That alone could keep him in Montreal over taking on Mikheyev 

is Allvin a moron? There is zero chance Mik would be traded for Snderson. And we’reson has negative value. He’s a player the Haberdoodles want to dumperoo. 
Garland for Anderson + Habs’ first is fair. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

Why would Allvin do that? Mik is a great player on a good contract. Anderson is craperolla on one of the leagues’s worst contracts. Garland for Anderson is far more likely, and the Doodle Bugs add a first. 
Anderson is one of the worst contracts in the league! 

• Cheers 1

Andersson doesn’t bring enough offence. Too much money for character and meat and potatoes. Remember how bad we wanted Beauvillier out because he didn’t bring enough to compensate for the salary he makes. At least with Garland he’s very creative offensively and can chip in with decent points in a bottom 6 role. Also very capable filling in for a top 6 role and produce better. Andersson just doesn’t produce.

15 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Andersson doesn’t bring enough offence. Too much money for character and meat and potatoes. Remember how bad we wanted Beauvillier out because he didn’t bring enough to compensate for the salary he makes. At least with Garland he’s very creative offensively and can chip in with decent points in a bottom 6 role. Also very capable filling in for a top 6 role and produce better. Andersson just doesn’t produce.

Weird time to post this when Anderson has put up 4g, 3a, 7p in his last 8 games playing on the 3rd line (granted he's also on the pp1 unit) 

Weird time to post this when Anderson has put up 4g, 3a, 7p in his last 8 games playing on the 3rd line (granted he's also on the pp1 unit) 

I mean it’s a good thing he did because before his point streak he was on pace for 7 points over 82 games. Now he’s bumped his totals up to 9 points in 31 games to have him on pace for 23 points this year. Which is still quite a bit less then his usual dismal 32ish points while playing 16.5 minutes per game. This guy is a bigger Pearson! Offence dies on his stick don’t be fooled by his little outburst he’s still on pace for a bad year. Even if he does keep it up and finishes around his normal 35ish points while playing a big game he makes 5.5 mill a year for the next 3 years after this lol.

5 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I mean it’s a good thing he did because before his point streak he was on pace for 7 points over 82 games. Now he’s bumped his totals up to 9 points in 31 games to have him on pace for 23 points this year. Which is still quite a bit less then his usual dismal 32ish points while playing 16.5 minutes per game. This guy is a bigger Pearson! Offence dies on his stick don’t be fooled by his little outburst he’s still on pace for a bad year. Even if he does keep it up and finishes around his normal 35ish points while playing a big game he makes 5.5 mill a year for the next 3 years after this lol.

I watch every Montreal game.  I know what he brings and I'd much rather have a guy like him over Kuzmenko 

10 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Well the proposal is a straight swap for Garland and I’m saying careful what you wish for because Garland is better than Andersson.

Not for Montreal, who already have a few small forwards. Anderson is a better fit for them .

Not for Montreal, who already have a few small forwards. Anderson is a better fit for them .

That’s fair they have some other small players. You’re a fan of both teams so you see the value in the character. For what he brings offensively it’s just simply not enough to pay for that character we’ve made too many mistakes cap wise we don’t have that luxury. He produces similar to that of Tanner Pearson. We just gave up another pick to get rid of that player. I don’t want another Tanner Pearson in our bottom 6 only this time making 5.5 million a year for another 3.5 seasons.