[GDT] Around the NHL [November 2023]

Coconuts

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

For sure we shouldn’t boo Bo. We should cheer that his desire for a fat wallet got us Hronek! 
Thanks Bo! 🥃

Does anyone care after the start this team has had?

I guess there could be some folks upset but they are probably more upset with Allvin.

• ThereItIs 1

Bo never wanted to be traded, he wanted to stay in Vancouver, so I hope the crowd appreciates what he did as a Canuck. Not like Luongo and Kesler, who wanted out. 

Sure, he opened his big mouth in front of the Islander fans, but that was fueled by hurt feelings and he was only trying and appease them so they like him. I'll guess he regrets saying that.

Just beat the Islanders tomorrow. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Alflives said:

Yup. We dumped the elephant in the room and won the trade in doing so. 

The reality is, outside of the weird bubble playoffs, Bo led this team through one of the most forgettable periods in team history. Not his fault but I can't see anyone being too worked up.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

The reality is, outside of the weird bubble playoffs, Bo led this team through one of the most forgettable periods in team history. Not his fault but I can't see anyone being too worked up.

Yup. Allvin was able to trade our 3C and turn the assets into a 25 year old, elite, right shot D. Fans should be friggin’ celebrating Bo’s desire for a fat wallet. 

• Haha 1

Bo was one of the few bright spots during a period of largely mediocre Canucks teams, he gave it his best as a Canuck and amounted to more than a lot of folks thought he'd be. Don't blame Bo for not being able to put the team on his back, blame management and ownership for being so inept that they couldn't even rebuild properly. Ever year management would try and prop up a mediocre roster as one that should try and make the playoffs and a lot of folks ate it right up. 

Bo likely wanted to stay, management likely didn't want to pay. It didn't work out, doesn't mean folks have to be butthurt about it; fans can be fickle though. Bo was a very solid Canuck, we got a 2C out of a 9OA pick, he would have been a 1C on some teams. 

He'll be passed and bumped down the list, but as of right now he's still 10th all-time for points as a Canuck, 8th in goals, 19th in assists, and 13th in games played. That's not nothing, it's a shame some folks speak as if it is. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Chickenspear said:

Half court, 10 min 3-on-3 should be enough to decide the game. Shootouts would be rare.

I think shootouts being more rare going forward is probably the goal, I mean.. aside from stopping teams from continually looping back until they get a look they like. The point of 3v3 was to end games quickly imo, letting one team dominate possession by playing keep-away goes against the spirit of what I think they were trying to implement. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think shootouts being more rare going forward is probably the goal, I mean.. aside from stopping teams from continually looping back until they get a look they like. The point of 3v3 was to end games quickly imo, letting one team dominate possession by playing keep-away goes against the spirit of what I think they were trying to implement. 

I wonder how they'd implement it... Whistle and D-zone faceoff with no line change allowed for the offending team, or treat it as a delay of game penalty for a 4-on-3? 

2 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

I wonder how they'd implement it... Whistle and D-zone faceoff with no line change allowed for the offending team, or treat it as a delay of game penalty for a 4-on-3? 

I'm assuming they'd just blow the play down but I'm also talking out of my ass

Mind you, penalizing a team in OT would be a great deterrent and it'd have the further impact of hastening the ending of many games 

Could see players willing to risk a play being blown down but less inclined to intentionally take a penalty in OT

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1