[GDT] Around the NHL [November 2023]

Coconuts

20 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

LA up 2-0 on Vegas.

LA's never struck me as a true contender yet they just keep winning, and here they are winning again (against a great team). Gotta re-consider apparently.

Bizzaro season. Anaheim and LA seem to be on a collision course.

Of course giving Vegas a losing streak is just fine with me.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

LA up 2-0 on Vegas.

LA's never struck me as a true contender yet they just keep winning, and here they are winning again (against a great team). Gotta re-consider apparently.

Folks have been sleeping on LA the last couple years. Adding Dubois and Gavrikov was big, few teams can match their center depth tbh. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Reaves is useless

And for three long years. The mind boggles at whatever Brad Treliving was drinking/smoking/snorting when he decided that Reaves was going to make a difference playing under eight minutes a game. On a great team, Reaves provides comic relief, on a good team he's an anchor. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Silent Man said:

I would appreciate your opinion about Vegas and LA

I fell asleep after the 1st period haha 

They both play great disciplined hockey.  Drew Doughty looks like he's lost a step, then again he's being played 26 minutes a night so maybe he was just pacing himself. 

27 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Reaves can't even skate anymore.  What a waste of oxygen...

Meh, they've started benching him.  Toronto has already been outscored 7-0 with him on the ice (might be an old stat).

But do you know who they're still not benching?  This guy:

image.png.504c452bd677672b1effba0e0a7224e2.png

seinfeld-gas.gif.78764969991607e01bbc65a11eae4512.gif

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I don't think Treliving is going to last very long as GM of Toronto. But with Linden's statement that Benning didn't want to draft Petey. I think that hurts his already remote odds of getting another GM gig.

I don't think he cares/wants one.

He's got his fitness business going and he also has been pretty clear about wanting to be there with his young son. 

• Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I don't think he cares/wants one.

He's got his fitness business going and he also has been pretty clear about wanting to be there with his young son. 

Sorry should have been clearer. I meant Benning getting another GM gig. Linden is happy where he is. Hanging out with Roman.

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I don't think Treliving is going to last very long as GM of Toronto. But with Linden's statement that Benning didn't want to draft Petey. I think that hurts his already remote odds of getting another GM gig.

No one has jim on their radar. 

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

And it’s a lot more than we needed Trevor to step in to allow for our scouts to be heard in the Petey draft. Trevor mentioned he didn’t like the process in the meetings (to create our draft list) in the OJ draft the year previous, which was Bracket’s first year as director of scouting. Trevor even mentioned we all saw “how that draft worked out”. 
So Benning dictated who to draft (with our top picks) instead of giving the scouts a voice. 
And our owner actually supported Benning so Trevor and Bracket both left. 

3 hours ago, Silent Man said:

He is 36 and counting. 74 points last season. Unreal

One of the modern greats, pretty much everything one could want in a #1 center

Getzlaf fought more but Kopitar won Selkes and could win another one this season

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Getzlaf fought more but Kopitar won Selkes and could win another one this season

On the subject of the Kings... How is their team speed?  Are they constructed with speed being one of their focal traits or more puck support, dump in, puck retrieval board battle focused?

Edited by Hogs and Podz

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

He's definitely a 1st ballot Hall of Famer. He's also got 2 Lady Byng's to go with his Selke's. Like Bergeron he seems to be ageless. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

On the subject of the Kings... How is their team speed?  Are they constructed with speed being one of their focal traits or more puck support, dump in, puck retrieval board battle focused?

They've got some good speed combined with some top end talent, they're not like the cup winning Kings of old as they're not that rugged, physical, defensive shell of a team though. As for how they handle the puck, I'm not gonna pretend I have in depth answers to that. 

As of right now they're second in goals but that's likely inflated by a high team shooting percentage, which also sits at second. Tenth in shots on goal, powerplay is middle of the road at fourteenth. 

They're sixth in goals allowed and seventh in shots on goal allowed, their PK is also ninth. They're pretty disciplined too, sitting at 11th as far as penalty minutes go. 

Some of it is Talbot, giving them stable tending thus far, some of it is the Kings playing some really good all-around hockey to begin the season. They haven't been amazing in the dot, sitting at 19th, but Kopitar, Dubois, and Danault is an enviable top three centers. They've been getting some pretty balanced scoring throughout the lineup. 

I think there's a good chance they grab a divisional spot again if they can stay healthy, at this rate it's looking like it'll be Vegas, LA, and us. I'm not as sold on Anaheim, I've been impressed by their youth but I'm not convinced they can sustain their level of play all season. Calgary and Edmonton haven't had encouraging starts but Calgary has been creeping closer to .500 and it's too early to count out McDavid and Draisaitl. If either team can string together a couple win streaks they should be right back in the mix for at least a wildcard. 

But yeah, I've been impressed by LA the past couple seasons. I think the big question of what happens post-Kopitar is still there, and Doughty is getting older too, but as of right now they're still key contributors and the Kings look good. I think this question is why they went out and grabbed Dubois, although Byfield looks to be putting it together and that's gotta be a really encouraging sign for Kings fans. 11 points in 12 games thus far. 

17 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

He's definitely a 1st ballot Hall of Famer. He's also got 2 Lady Byng's to go with his Selke's. Like Bergeron he seems to be ageless. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Two cups, two Selke's, two Lady Byng's, Leadership award, all-star, regularly in the mix for a Selke, 400 goals and 750+ assists in just over 1300 games. 

He's signed for another two seasons after this one, could very well finish his career with 1300+ points. 

6'3", 225, #1 center who's good in the dot. He's basically a better version of Ryan Getzlaf, without the international accolades. But hey, can't hold that against him considering Getzlaf was born in Canada whereas Kopitar is Slovenian. 

I think very highly of Kopitar, wish he'd had that kind of career as a Canuck. 

• Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They've got some good speed combined with some top end talent, they're not like the cup winning Kings of old as they're not that rugged, physical, defensive shell of a team though. As for how they handle the puck, I'm not gonna pretend I have in depth answers to that. 

My whole point of asking is whether we can beat them with our speed.  I known they have size on us.  They're heavier for sure.  I was looking at them kinda built like the blueprint of the Blues a couple seasons ago.  

If I'm correct in my assessment, we won't beat them on the boards, or the dot.... But getting behind their defence might be possible.  Most nights, we'll have an advantage in net as well.

Ultimately, I'm wondering if we could match up well against them in a seven game series.  

I think we're close.  Looking forward to the games we have against then in season.... I don't think we play them until Feb 29th (leap year game!).