[GDT] Around the NHL [November 2023]

Coconuts

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

LaFreniere with a goal and two assists tonight, lead the Rags to another win. This gets him up to 9 points in 13 games, is he finally taking the next step? Gotta remember, he's only 22. 

Yeah.  People need to relax on labeling these kids as busts a year or two into their careers. Most kids his age have barely seen NHL ice yet.  Not everyone finds thier game at the NHL level right away. Kotkaniemi is starting to break out this season too.  Yet some people want to label Slafkovsky a bust 40-ish games into his career.  The kid just turned 19 ffs 

Edited by qwijjibo
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

A real coach isn't going to turn anything around.  Their roster sucks.

It does, but a guy like Sutter might be able to fix McDiver and Crysaitl by telling them they either play like men and start backchecking or they can enjoy nachos in the press box.  They still won't be a real NHL team, but it's still better with McDiver being a locker room cancer.

Edited by King Heffy

12 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Yeah.  People need to relax on labeling these kids as busts a year or two into their careers. Most kids his age have barely seen NHL ice yet.  Not everyone finds thier game at the NHL level right away. Kotkaniemi is starting to break out this season too.  Yet some people want to label Slafovsky a bust 40-ish games into his career.  The kid just turned 19 ffs 

That I completely agree with. People do need to chill. Even those who are down on Podkolzin, he's really coming along nicely. 

McDavid and Draisaitl have checked out. If they were playing at their best, they could beat this Sharks team single-handedly. They are broken because they know the team is broken. There’s no way changes aren’t gonna come if they lose this game.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

That I completely agree with. People do need to chill. Even those who are down on Podkolzin, he's really coming along nicely. 

Yup.  Exactly. Byfield is almost a ppg so far this season too.   Some people were calling him a bust as well 

Edited by qwijjibo
  • Cheers 1

I just looked through the Sharks roster.  Yah know, it isn't all that bad... The forward core that is.  I mean they have Duclair, Hertl, Lebanc, Hoffman, Granlund, Zadina.  Okay... Not great by any stretch of the imagination but not historic bad as they are so far.  Obviously their defence ia horrendous.  Just doesn't seem to be as bad as their record is all.

53 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Yeah.  People need to relax on labeling these kids as busts a year or two into their careers. Most kids his age have barely seen NHL ice yet.  Not everyone finds thier game at the NHL level right away. Kotkaniemi is starting to break out this season too.  Yet some people want to label Slafkovsky a bust 40-ish games into his career.  The kid just turned 19 ffs 

Yeah, Kotkaniemi is having a very good start. Byfield is another one I've spoken to. 

I think folks sometimes forget how hard it is to step into the world's hardest league as a teenager or as someone in their early twenties and have immediate success. Even for top picks, it's not necessarily easy. I think it's easy as an observer to take that for granted sometimes. 

We as Canucks fans have been a bit spoiled by first round picks in Boeser, Hughes, and Pettersson stepping in and making an immediate impact, it's more likely that first round picks don't have that kind of impact right off the hop. I think Podz is a more realistic take on what you sometimes get, it's hard. 

I hope folks are willing to be patient with Willander too, being an 11OA pick more than likely means he'll need time to stew. The further you get from the top of the draft the more likely it is that it'll take prospects time to develop into NHL'ers. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 2