[GDT] Around the NHL [November 2023]

Coconuts

4 hours ago, RookieFan said:

I am not sure where you have examples or ideas that Edmonton fans are entitled. On the contrary they been one of the worst teams in NHL for a decade and haven't gotten a taste of playoff hockey and finally have something to be happy in with Drai and McDavid.

Why put down Edmoton fans who I don't recall ever trashing Canucks in these forums.

How's it going up there on your high horse. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Trebreh said:

no no no.. they need to trade their futures for a goaltender.

No, they need to sign Kane or Kessel and just keep trying to outscore their problems! 

I'm almost getting as much entertainment out of the Oilers right now as I am with the Canucks!

• ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, RookieFan said:

I am not sure where you have examples or ideas that Edmonton fans are entitled. On the contrary they been one of the worst teams in NHL for a decade and haven't gotten a taste of playoff hockey and finally have something to be happy in with Drai and McDavid.

Why put down Edmoton fans who I don't recall ever trashing Canucks in these forums.

Why would oiler fans be on our Canucks’ board in the first place? Don’t they have their own?

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why would oiler fans be on our Canucks’ board in the first place? Don’t they have their own?

Oilers fans at Rogers have been obnoxious for years.

I'm enjoying this spiral this very much.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, RookieFan said:

Well Rookie...

It starts way back in 2010 and carries on for 5 years.  Where the Oilers pick 1st overall four of those five years. 

Much animosity was created due to the unfairness within the lottery system.  So much so, the lottery rules were changed due to Edmonton's dumb luck over those five years. 

Three years in a row getting first overall 2010, 2011 and 2012.  A year break then the cherry on top 2015 first overall to select Connor McDavid. 

Salt on the wound for all the other franchises in the NHL.... ESPECIALLY the franchise's within the division.  

Even when not drafting 1st oa, the other 1st rounders include, Draisaitl, Nurse and Bouchard.

It comes down to animosity... The NHL lottery system stinks.  Look at this year for instance... So you think fans of any other team in the league will be rooting for the Blackhawks?!!!... Maybe you, but I digress.

So why would any fan of another franchise root or feel bad for the Oilers?...

Even if it isn't the fault of the Oilers that they kept in winning the lottery, fans will still take their frustration out on the benefactor.... It's just human nature.

Canuck fans had that animosity toward the Oil going way back to the 80's, when they got there butts kick almost a full decade. (which I'm sure you were not yet a fan of the team as you were probably not born or too young to care).  

Now the biggest reason why the renewed animosity right now.... Almost all the prognosticators... So called experts, crowned the Oil stanely cup finalists this year.... That's enough to warrant this response within itself.

So pardon any canuck fan that takes joy in the Oilers and their fans misery.... It's not just canuck fans either.

... Like it or not, our fans of all the other franchises are relishing this. 

You might as well get used to it... Because as long as the Oil continue sucking, as will these fan bases dump on them. 

You're yelling at clouds Rookie.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Iron Man said:

I just realized that maybe we shouldn't hope that Edmonton does as badly as we want. We wouldn't want them getting Mack Celebrini. That franchise should not be rewarded anymore for their incompetence.

It has been a while since they got all those first picks, so I guess them winning number one overall is back with in the rules.----damn it.

Maybe they get so desperate to make the play offs some team can work a trade and get their first rounder as the deal?

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

It has been a while since they got all those first picks, so I guess them winning number one overall is back with in the rules.----damn it.

Maybe they get so desperate to make the play offs some team can work a trade and get their first rounder as the deal?

The lottery rule wasn't retroactive.  So they've been eligible to win 1st OA all along 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Well Rookie...

It starts way back in 2010 and carries on for 5 years.  Where the Oilers pick 1st overall four of those five years. 

Much animosity was created due to the unfairness within the lottery system.  So much so, the lottery rules were changed due to Edmonton's dumb luck over those five years. 

Three years in a row getting first overall 2010, 2011 and 2012.  A year break then the cherry on top 2015 first overall to select Connor McDavid. 

Salt on the wound for all the other franchises in the NHL.... ESPECIALLY the franchise's within the division.  

Even when not drafting 1st oa, the other 1st rounders include, Draisaitl, Nurse and Bouchard.

It comes down to animosity... The NHL lottery system stinks.  Look at this year for instance... So you think fans of any other team in the league will be rooting for the Blackhawks?!!!... Maybe you, but I digress.

Even if it isn't the fault of the Oilers that they kept in winning the lottery, fans will still take their frustration out on the benefactor.... It's just human nature.

Canuck fans had that animosity toward the Oil going way back to the 80's, when they got there butts kick almost a full decade. (which I'm sure you were not yet a fan of the team as you were probably not born or too young to care).  

Now the biggest reason why the renewed animosity right now.... Almost all the prognosticators... So called experts, crowned the Oil stanely cup finalists this year.... That's enough to warrant this response within itself.

So pardon any canuck fan that takes joy in the Oilers and their fans misery.... It's not just canuck fans either.

You might as well get used to it... Because as long as the Oil continue sucking, as will these fan bases dump on them. 

It's OK. Rookiefan is a communist. He believes all games should end in ties, all players should be paid the same amount, participation ribbons should he awarded to all athletes, and hockey fans should all hold hands at the games. Hahaha but serious though he's obviously a oiler fan in this forum snooping around. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Well Rookie...

Thank you for that response that was helpful actually. 

From that update the only remaining question I have is about the "sense of entitlement" that another user mentioned Oiler fans have. Where is the evidence of entitlement all I see are Oiler fans disappointed or mad not entitled.

17 minutes ago, Captain Hughes said:

It's OK. Rookiefan is a communist. He believes all games should end in ties, all players should be paid the same amount, participation ribbons should he awarded to all athletes, and hockey fans should all hold hands at the games. Hahaha but serious though he's obviously a oiler fan in this forum snooping around. 

The greatest testament to your status as a "fan" of this game, of this team and of this era is your ability to read into the teams on a daily running basis. That means being aware of daily if not hourly league wide news, keeping up on all injuries, watching all stats and player metrics league wide, following various Twitter accounts for small updates that can sway results etc. The local forum contest of Predicting the Score takes all those elements above into account, so only a truly knowledgeable fan of both the Canucks and the NHL would have a chance to win a contest like predicting the score which requires massive research and insight.

Who's #1? That's what I thought.

10 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

I want San Jose to get it.  They have been managed the right way and they're in a standard rebuilding phase.

Plus their diehard fans are such good sports.  The way they celebrated that goal against Vancouver was amazing.  The playoff volume at the end of tonight's game - amazing.

It feels hard to support that view, given how much I hated that team in the 90s and Noughty years, but it's a fair point. Having good fans helps ease the sting of any draft success they should have coming up.

Every time I think of Marchment, Thornton, or the BS reffing, especially in that one playoff series, I just seethe inside.

16 minutes ago, RookieFan said:

The greatest testament to your status as a "fan" of this game, of this team and of this era is your ability to read into the teams on a daily running basis. That means being aware of daily if not hourly league wide news, keeping up on all injuries, watching all stats and player metrics league wide, following various Twitter accounts for small updates that can sway results etc. The local forum contest of Predicting the Score takes all those elements above into account, so only a truly knowledgeable fan of both the Canucks and the NHL would have a chance to win a contest like predicting the score which requires massive research and insight.

Who's #1? That's what I thought.

I remember that spelling bee I won in grade three, still have the trophy in my study. Those were heady times.
Savour life’s little victories!

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Iron Man said:

I just realized that maybe we shouldn't hope that Edmonton does as badly as we want. We wouldn't want them getting Mack Celebrini. That franchise should not be rewarded anymore for their incompetence.

Honestly I don't think Celebrini or Eiserman would help them. Oilers would be much better off picking in the 5 range and drafting one of the defensemen.