[GDT] Around the NHL [November 2023]

Coconuts

11 hours ago, Iron Man said:

I just realized that maybe we shouldn't hope that Edmonton does as badly as we want. We wouldn't want them getting Mack Celebrini. That franchise should not be rewarded anymore for their incompetence.

No, I want them to surge at the end of the year and finish 10th 

• ThereItIs 1

10 hours ago, RookieFan said:

I am not sure where you have examples or ideas that Edmonton fans are entitled. On the contrary they been one of the worst teams in NHL for a decade and haven't gotten a taste of playoff hockey and finally have something to be happy in with Drai and McDavid.

Why put down Edmoton fans who I don't recall ever trashing Canucks in these forums.

OK, stop. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

image.png.b2d314325e615eb587d717deb5f3a724.png

I thought coach Q would be the ideal candidate to replace Woody, but since there has been a second allegation of sexual assault from back in the Blackhawks Cup era, I think he's probably kryptonite still....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/blackhawks/2023/11/06/blackhawks-sued-by-second-former-player-over-sexual-abuse-claims/71473447007/

1 hour ago, RookieFan said:

Thank you for that response that was helpful actually. 

From that update the only remaining question I have is about the "sense of entitlement" that another user mentioned Oiler fans have. Where is the evidence of entitlement all I see are Oiler fans disappointed or mad not entitled.

It's been a long time since I've been to Edmonton, but back when I was a traveling musician (in the 80's, mostly) I was there almost every weekend, either gigging, or passing through to a gig.

In those days, they had big "Welcome to Edmonton, the city of champions!" signs on the highway as you reached the city limits. They had them at all points of the compass, but the biggest one was on highway #2 as you came in from the South.....

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

I thought coach Q would be the ideal candidate to replace Woody, but since there has been a second allegation of sexual assault from back in the Blackhawks Cup era, I think he's probably kryptonite still....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/blackhawks/2023/11/06/blackhawks-sued-by-second-former-player-over-sexual-abuse-claims/71473447007/

It's been a long time since I've been to Edmonton, but back when I was a traveling musician (in the 80's, mostly) I was there almost every weekend, either gigging, or passing through to a gig.

In those days, they had big "Welcome to Edmonton, the city of champions!" signs on the highway as you reached the city limits. They had them at all points of the compass, but the biggest one was on highway #2 as you came in from the South.....

They deserved that sign back then. 

I have no issues with Edmonton fans, they're A-OK in my books. I'd rather see Edmonton win then Calgary, Minny, or Colorado. Those three have insufferable fans IMO. 

6 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Well Rookie...

It starts way back in 2010 and carries on for 5 years.  Where the Oilers pick 1st overall four of those five years. 

Much animosity was created due to the unfairness within the lottery system.  So much so, the lottery rules were changed due to Edmonton's dumb luck over those five years. 

Three years in a row getting first overall 2010, 2011 and 2012.  A year break then the cherry on top 2015 first overall to select Connor McDavid. 

Salt on the wound for all the other franchises in the NHL.... ESPECIALLY the franchise's within the division.  

Even when not drafting 1st oa, the other 1st rounders include, Draisaitl, Nurse and Bouchard.

It comes down to animosity... The NHL lottery system stinks.  Look at this year for instance... So you think fans of any other team in the league will be rooting for the Blackhawks?!!!... Maybe you, but I digress.

So why would any fan of another franchise root or feel bad for the Oilers?...

Even if it isn't the fault of the Oilers that they kept in winning the lottery, fans will still take their frustration out on the benefactor.... It's just human nature.

Canuck fans had that animosity toward the Oil going way back to the 80's, when they got there butts kick almost a full decade. (which I'm sure you were not yet a fan of the team as you were probably not born or too young to care).  

Now the biggest reason why the renewed animosity right now.... Almost all the prognosticators... So called experts, crowned the Oil stanely cup finalists this year.... That's enough to warrant this response within itself.

So pardon any canuck fan that takes joy in the Oilers and their fans misery.... It's not just canuck fans either.

... Like it or not, our fans of all the other franchises are relishing this. 

You might as well get used to it... Because as long as the Oil continue sucking, as will these fan bases dump on them. 

You're yelling at clouds Rookie.

I really like this post.

You did a great job capturing the issues over the years with the Oilers, the draft, the relationship between the Canucks and Oilers. There a lot of history there and laughing at the Oilers for their terrible start just feels right after all the gifts they've been given.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RookieFan said:

The greatest testament to your status as a "fan" of this game, of this team and of this era is your ability to read into the teams on a daily running basis. That means being aware of daily if not hourly league wide news, keeping up on all injuries, watching all stats and player metrics league wide, following various Twitter accounts for small updates that can sway results etc. The local forum contest of Predicting the Score takes all those elements above into account, so only a truly knowledgeable fan of both the Canucks and the NHL would have a chance to win a contest like predicting the score which requires massive research and insight.

Who's #1? That's what I thought.

GET A JOB HIPPIE!200.gif

• Haha 2

Halfway through the game the Washington Grandfathers are beating the home town NJ Devils. The Devils have a whopping 5 shots on goal. 

Cautionery tale for fans who expect their team 100% of their games and play great 100% of the time. Sometimes your team is going to lay an egg. The hockey gods will it. 

• Upvote 1

Rules question, regarding the new way they handle offsides.

In the Flames/Leafs game, Tanev shot the puck out of his zone, and  Leaf brought the puck in while there was still another Leaf offside. I get that it isn't offside until the puck is touched, but in this case the player who brought the puck in (without touching it in the Calgary zone) was completely over the blue line before the offside player got back to the line.

Isn't that still offside, and it was a missed call?

32 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I try not to cheer for injuries.  But, maybe a suspension or two instead? Sold!

Injuries don't need to be serious.  Just enough to keep them off their game. 

4-4 in the third.   Leafs  can't defend. 

As long Nux don't try to play a track meet with them.  Beatable team. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1