[GDT] Around the NHL [November 2023]

Coconuts

35 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

That was an incredibly short lived coaching bump for the Oilers. Some of the analysts still seem confident they’ll make the playoffs, but I just don’t see it. This is a bad team with a handful of great players and a bunch more that just aren’t good enough. That D core and goaltending are not NHL calibre. It’s going to be a long road back to success, and how much more difficult will it be because nobody wants to live in Edmonton?

Edm analysts are in denial.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Sabres need to move on from Dahlin as their centre piece. They trade him now and will get good return. Power is better. Then build around Benson and Power. 

Alf, no team is going to trade a 23yo former 1OA RD the season after he puts up 73 points in 78 games as a 1D, it's not gonna happen

16 points in 19 games thus far

Buffalo needs to address it's D, tending, and probably it's bottom 6, but I don't see a scenario where Dahlin isn't part of the solution going forward 

Not having Thompson available has been a big blow

He's a franchise caliber D

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Alf, no team is going to trade a 23yo former 1OA RD the season after he puts up 73 points in 78 games as a 1D, it's not gonna happen

16 points in 19 games thus far

Buffalo needs to address it's D, tending, and probably it's bottom 6, but I don't see a scenario where Dahlin isn't part of the solution going forward 

Not having Thompson available has been a big blow

He's a franchise caliber D

Dahlin sucks pucks. Overrated, overhyped puck sucker. Sabres will not make the playoffs with him as their centre piece. Trade him now and use those assets to build around Power. 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Edmonton needs to blow it up.  Tank hard for Celebrini.  Trade McDavid and Draisaitl for picks and prospects.  

They aren’t winning a cup with these guys, so they should trade them now before they lose all their value…

Totally agree. But I doubt anyone in that organization has the balls to trade away the so-often-proclaimed two best players in the world. I bet they’d enjoy playing in sunny California for a change. The haul would be huge, probably unprecedented in NHL history. 

• ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Dahlin sucks pucks. Overrated, overhyped puck sucker. Sabres will not make the playoffs with him as their centre piece. Trade him now and use those assets to build around Power. 

There's talent there - peterka, dahlin, power, tage, benson and levi look good and some decent vets in tuch and skinner. Not sure what is holding them back as they dominated the game before falling asleep. A key trade could work.

Caps look so slow, ovechkin is slower than last year and no-one was good at setting him up but then they keep winning.

10 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

There's talent there - peterka, dahlin, power, tage, benson and levi look good and some decent vets in tuch and skinner. Not sure what is holding them back as they dominated the game before falling asleep. A key trade could work.

Caps look so slow, ovechkin is slower than last year and no-one was good at setting him up but then they keep winning.

I’m surprised the Caps are winning games. They’re something like 9-1 over their last 10. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I’m surprised the Caps are winning games. They’re something like 9-1 over their last 10. 

Small surprise, the older guys usually have a slow start and gets into it...i dont think it will last for more then another month and then they will decline again...but they sure have surpassed my expectations, mainly due to the slow start they had. 

4 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Totally agree. But I doubt anyone in that organization has the balls to trade away the so-often-proclaimed two best players in the world. I bet they’d enjoy playing in sunny California for a change. The haul would be huge, probably unprecedented in NHL history. 

The problem with trading McDavid is that he has a NMC.  So, he will veto any trade to a bottom feeder.  Only a team like LA or New York or maybe Boston can do a deal with Edmonton.  With his cap hit and future cap hit it actually may be impossible to trade him.

They might have better luck with Draisaitl.  But again, his next contract will be in the $14-15 million range, so most teams will probably say no to trading for him.

I think the Oilers are screwed personally.  Like McDavid said, it's cup or bust.  And I think they are busting harder than a guy with 3 hookers on a Friday night...

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Caps have been solid defensively, they're 7th in terms of goals allowed and they're the third least penalized team in the league, they've very disciplined. 

You'd think that because of their offensive struggles that they'd be one of the teams that falls out of the race, but I'm more inclined that if they can even get closer to being an average team offensively they'll probably be just fine. 

They're 29th in goals, 27th in shots on goal, and their powerplay is the worst in the league. Their shooting percentage is also tied for 28th. They're missing a healthy Backstrom out there. But again, if they can get some of these team stats even up to say.. 15-20ish while maintaining their defensive play they could be a strong bet for a divisional or wildcard spot. 

Adding a winger who drives offense or another center would probably really help them, they could theoretically package Mantha and a 2025 2nd for help (they have three: theirs, Boston's, and Colorado's). Mantha's deal is up at the end of the season, not a longer-term issue for a team looking to sell. Oshie not producing hasn't been helping them. 

Edited by Coconuts

12 hours ago, Master Mind said:

With us being at the US Thanksgiving benchmark, that means about 77% of teams in a playoff spot make the playoffs.

Who are the 3 or 4 teams you expect to fall out?

Could see Detroit and Philly falling off out East, if the Sabres can tread water with Thompson out they could make a push 

Wouldn't count Pittsburgh or NYI out, Devils and Sens have played fewer games than the teams ahead of them and could push 

East is pretty wide open

I think the St. Louis or Seattle might drop, Calgary or Anaheim could displace them

I'm expecting Seattle to be better going forward though 

Minny could also climb but they really need to capitalize on their games in hand

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Ex-Canuck Jason Dickinson with his first hatty to propel the Hawks to a win

Good, Hawks need to win more so they're further away from the bottom, they don't deserve another top 3 pick

Dickinson is playing with only one hand? That's incredible!

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1