[GDT] Around the NHL [November 2023]

Coconuts

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

D4CEDBB9-5EDF-4ACD-85AD-67E3237E9CDC.gif.54d3f182b7c992a5572fcb69398a369a.gif

made this many new ones (so far) and working on more. 

Alf should have been a guest star on Trailer Park Boys, as Bubbles' homeless schnee addicted cousin .. he could play with the kitties... 
Man, look at those nostrils !
"Co-co-nut-Snow!"  (big Canucks fan) 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

ahhaahah woll is literally falling apart the last 2 games 9 goals so far in his last 2 games he's been either really good or really bad.. he is not your savior laffs hahahaha

They picked Reaves and Klingberg over Lafferty and Gustafsson.  They paid more for less.

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Avs had 41 shots on goal. Is this Hill guy that good? 0.938 save % this season. Another Cup for Vegas?

Very likely, right now I would say Vegas wins another cup unless they choke in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Silent Man said:

Avs had 41 shots on goal. Is this Hill guy that good? 0.938 save % this season. Another Cup for Vegas?

Vegas beat them but that doesn't necessarily mean the Avs were bad, sometimes things just don't work out

Gave up two shorties, couldn't beat Hill, still probably wouldn't bet against them in a seven game series 

1 hour ago, Mando27 said:

Very likely, right now I would say Vegas wins another cup unless they choke in the playoffs.

Them, Colorado, or Dallas out west imo, those are the teams I've have in the top tier out west

I'd have LA right below them

These four have all been playoff regulars and LA's made itself better having added Dubois and Gavrikov, Byfield looks to be figuring things out which would be huge for them

If Edmonton wasn't awful I'd have them there too, they may still bounce back 

I'd wager those four teams make the playoffs but after that it gets a bit more interesting 

We've started strong but it's early, all it'd take is a small losing streak for other teams to gain ground 

St. Louis wants to bounce back, Winnipeg squeaked in last season, Minnesota is solid, Anaheim has surprised, Arizona and Nashville have been decent, I expect more from Seattle, Calgary is a winning streak away from .500, Edmonton has McDavid and Draisaitl so I'm reluctant to count them out just yet 

Chicago and San Jose should founder, Bedard isn't carrying Chicago to the playoffs yet

Conference is wide open and we're just past ten games into the season 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Vegas beat them but that doesn't necessarily mean the Avs were bad, sometimes things just don't work out

Gave up two shorties, couldn't beat Hill, still probably wouldn't bet against them in a seven game series 

Them, Colorado, or Dallas out west imo, those are the teams I've have in the top tier out west

I'd have LA right below them

These four have all been playoff regulars and LA's made itself better having added Dubois and Gavrikov, Byfield looks to be figuring things out which would be huge for them

If Edmonton wasn't awful I'd have them there too, they may still bounce back 

I'd wager those four teams make the playoffs but after that it gets a bit more interesting 

We've started strong but it's early, all it'd take is a small losing streak for other teams to gain ground 

St. Louis wants to bounce back, Winnipeg squeaked in last season, Minnesota is solid, Anaheim has surprised, Arizona and Nashville have been decent, I expect more from Seattle, Calgary is a winning streak away from .500, Edmonton has McDavid and Draisaitl so I'm reluctant to count them out just yet 

Chicago and San Jose should founder, Bedard isn't carrying Chicago to the playoffs yet

Conference is wide open and we're just past ten games into the season 

You have some 'they want' and 'could be' statements about other teams in our conference.  Could, should, might,.... Etc.

You put Dallas ahead of us... I say we've passed them. 

An argument could be made, that Dallas have stagnated, hit their ceiling.  Could be said that the Blues are slow and have erratic goaltending.  How many years have we seen poor goaltending, thin defence and no support scoring in Edmonton?  Maybe Calgary took a big step back, now seeing that Hubby and Kadri just don't replace Johnny and Tkachuk?

Media is saying that we are 'overachieving'.

I look at it, and I think there is some evidence to argue that we have been underachieving for a couple years now.  

So I get your cautious optimize but I think your approach is undervaluing the makeup and likely sustainability of this teams trajectory.  

Don't get me wrong, there will be some tough loses coming and some mini losing streaks.... With emphasis on mini.  Regardless, same can and will be the same for all these other teams.  

It maybe to early for you to say but I think this team has already shown us that they are at worse 3rd in this division behind only Vegas and LA.  And 4th in the conference.  

Vegas

Colorado

LA

Van

Dallas

Etc.... 

We may even surpass LA if their goaltending starts to fail.

We're fast enough, just big enough, gritty enough, structured enough, hungry enough, skilled enough, quality character and leadership and when when some of these qualities can't be counted on for periods.... We have two very good goalies to bale us out.

Sounds like a cup contending team to me.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

You have some 'they want' and 'could be' statements about other teams in our conference.  Could, should, might,.... Etc.

An argument could be made, that Dallas have stagnated, hit their ceiling.  Could be said that the Blues are slow and have erratic goaltending.  How many years have we seen poor goaltending, thin defence and no support scoring in Edmonton?  Maybe Calgary took a big step back, now seeing that Hubby and Kadri just don't replace Johnny and Tkachuk?

I look at it, and I think there is some evidence to argue that we have been underachieving for a couple years now.  

So I get your cautious optimize but I think your approach is undervaluing the makeup and likely sustainability of this teams trajectory.  

Don't get me wrong, there will be some tough loses coming and some mini losing streaks.... With emphasis on mini.  Regardless, same can and will be the same for all these other teams.  

It maybe to early for you to say but I think this team has already shown us that they are at worse 3rd in this division behind only Vegas and LA.  And 4th in the conference.  

Vegas

Colorado

LA

Van

Dallas

Etc.... 

We're fast enough, just big enough, gritty enough, structured enough, hungry enough, skilled enough, quality character and leadership and when when some of these qualities can't be counted on for periods.... We have two very good goalies to bale us out.

Lots of fans are still suffering from PTBD. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

The league needs to address this evil era from the Hawks with some serious penalties. Huge fines and loss of high draft picks. 

You already know they won’t.

They’ll respond to this by reinstating Quennville and Bowman.

1 hour ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Vegas

Colorado

LA

Van

Dallas

Etc.... 

I think you're trying to count Dallas out a little too early. Sure, they have some older vets, but all their core pieces are young. Maybe they have "stagnated" but if they have it's as a contender. Their top two offensive contributors in Robertson and Hintz are 24 and 26 (almost 27) respectively, Heiskanen is a top 10 defenseman in the league and 24, and Oettinger is arguably just as good as Demko but younger at 24 as well. Also Esa Lindell is still just 29 and Wyatt Johnston and Thomas Harley both look very promising. Yes, we beat them last night but it was a very close game. If the Canucks continue to be consistent then I would say we're now in the same tier as Dallas, but that doesn't mean we've passed them.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I think you're trying to count Dallas out a little too early. Sure, they have some older vets, but all their core pieces are young. Maybe they have "stagnated" but if they have it's as a contender. Their top two offensive contributors in Robertson and Hintz are 24 and 26 (almost 27) respectively, Heiskanen is a top 10 defenseman in the league and 24, and Oettinger is arguably just as good as Demko but younger at 24 as well. Also Esa Lindell is still just 29 and Wyatt Johnston and Thomas Harley both look very promising. Yes, we beat them last night but it was a very close game. If the Canucks continue to be consistent then I would say we're now in the same tier as Dallas, but that doesn't mean we've passed them.

Valid points... I can agree that we're on the same level or in the same tier... For now.  In my view, our #1 center is better than theirs, as is our 2nd line center.  Our #1 defenceman is either equal or slightly better than theirs.  And again I believe our #2 D is better than theirs.  Goalies are a wash.  It comes down to supporting cast. 

But all things created equal, the points I make, give us the slight edge.  

To your point, yes I can agree that they have some talented young impact players that are still developing.  So I suppose stagnating wouldn't be a valid descriptor of their trajectory.  

I just believe top to bottom we are a (all be it slight) better team now.  

Once we be back Bluegar and if in fact we do add to our defence, that will only strengthen my argument.  

All in all, this is the best we've been in years.  Going to be fun seeing how it all shakes out.  

• Cheers 1

I think something is wrong with McBaby, like a wrist or elbow problem. According to the new NHL Edge stats his shooting speed and percentage is way down compared to last year. His top shot speed is under 79 mph this year, 10 mph down from his usual top speed. He's also under league average for shooting percentage, when he's usually near the top. 

Maybe thats why EDM is so dejected, they know McBaby is dealing with something and they're hooped without him. 

Edited by Bob Long

Brady T upset that fans booed the Senators. Not a smart approach...reminds me of Canucks until this season. Until there is personal accountability from the top, team is going no where. 

Right response would be "fans should boo us until we perform", instead of "the boys are trying real hard out there 😭".