[proposal] - Vancouver Canucks - Columbus Blue Jackets (edit - Patrik Laine; the revised proposal)

Edit - Newly revised idea to an original idea:

To Columbus:  Andrei Kuzmenko + Anthony Beauvillier

To Canucks:  Patrik Laine

This post might raise a few eyebrows given that Kuzmenko has outperformed Laine since getting into the league.  

Having said that, lets consider the following:

1. Laine hasn't really had a true "elite" center to play with since his Winnipeg days and even in Winnipeg, he was bullied off the Schiefele line.  Remember what Laine's production was when he was playing with Schiefele?  

2. Laine is 25 years old and is significantly younger than Kuzmenko.  

My ultimate point being this.  IF you can bring Laine here and staple him to Pettersson, with Mikheyev being the defensive conscience on the other wing, then you might not only see a very formidable line but you'd likely see the return of peak Laine. Pettersson, a great playmaker, and a very good 200 foot player, playing with a guy that would be a clear upgrade over Kuzmenko if he gets back to his peak.  More importantly however, Laine, given his age, could possibly become a long term core player for us if he liked it here.

Laine-Pettersson-Mikheyev

PDG-Miller-Boeser

Suter-Bluegar-Garland

Joshua-Lafferty-Hoglander

Hughes-Hronek

Cole-Myers

Soucy-Bear

Demko

DeSmith

________________________________________________________________________________________

The Post below was my original post in this thread but I no longer agree with what was said below

________________________________________________________________________________________

Alright,

I myself am not sure if this trade would work out or even be beneficial, but here goes:

To Columbus:  Conor Garland, Ilya Mikheyev, [1st or Podkolzin?]

To Vancouver:  Patrik Laine

Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Laine

PDG-Miller-Boeser

Suter-Bluegar-Hoglander

Beavillier-Studnicka-Lafferty

Columbus gets more depth while the Canucks get a crack at possibly awaking a sleeping giant.  

Let's face facts - although he's been decent, Laine hasn't lived up to the hype since potting 44 goals in 2017/2018.  

A large part of this reason is that he was bullied by Scheifele and Wheeler in Winnipeg (and got demoted to a different line as a result), and also hasn't had the greatest of centres to play with in Columbus.   In Vancouver, Laine wouldn't have that problem.  His face would attached at the hip to Pettersson's crotch, and we'd get this guy his long awaited 50 goals. Laine, as good as he, has the potential to be a LOT better......like we saw in 2017/2018.  Didn't the guy score 16 goals in one month one time?  That's no ordinary feat.   

So assuming that the above trade is fair/realistic, I also think that Hoglander is ready to play higher in the line-up since the guy has clearly taken a leap this season.  So - Hogs enters the top 6.  

All 3 of the above players have contracts that expire at or around the same time.    

Would Laine be able to thrive under a tight and defensively accountable Rick Tocchet system?  I think the answer to that is "probably not" at first glance, but....c'mon....the guy would be playing with Pettersson.    

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Haha 1

Hard to say yes to this Laine was looking like he was going to be an NHL superstar based on his World Junior Performances.

Maybe it's his injuries or drive but so far he's turned out 60% of what I expected. 

Still a good player but for that package? I don't know since I can't fully Gauge what Mikheyev will bring in this season and next. But defiantly not for a 1st round pick.

Edited by iinatcc

• Jeremy Hronek changed the title to [proposal] - Vancouver Canucks - Columbus Blue Jackets (it's not what you think - Peeke can f@ck off) edit - I don't like this idea anymore
  • Jeremy Hronek changed the title to [proposal] - Vancouver Canucks - Columbus Blue Jackets (edit - Patrik Laine; the revised proposal)

This post might raise a few eyebrows given that Kuzmenko has outperformed Laine since getting into the league.  

1. Laine hasn't really had a true "elite" center to play with since his Winnipeg days and even in Winnipeg, he was bullied off the Schiefele line.  Remember what Laine's production was when he was playing with Schiefele?  

My ultimate point being this.  IF you can bring Laine here and staple him to Pettersson, with Mikheyev being the defensive conscience on the other wing, then you might not only see a very formidable line but you'd likely see the return of peak Laine. Pettersson, a great playmaker, and a very good 200 foot player, playing with a guy that would be a clear upgrade over Kuzmenko if he gets back to his peak.  More importantly however, Laine, given his age, could possibly become a long term core player for us if he liked it here.

PDG-Miller-Boeser

Suter-Bluegar-Garland

Hughes-Hronek

Cole-Myers

Soucy-Bear

Demko

DeSmith

54 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

PDG-Miller-Boeser

Suter-Bluegar-Garland

Hughes-Hronek

Cole-Myers

Soucy-Bear

Demko

DeSmith

Kuzmenko is 27yrs old.

15 minutes ago, BPA said:

Kuzmenko is 27yrs old.

True.  His contract will also expire when he's 28 next season.  Not old by any means but it could turn problematic if he was looking for a longer term deal.

Laine on the other hand, is 25, and would have two more seasons after this one (27).  It's only one year's difference in terms of the age their contracts will expire, but maybe that one year would give us an extra year of a player in his prime if he were to sign long term?   

Ignoring age aside, I think Laine's ceiling is much higher than Kuzmenko's.  Put Laine with an elite center and he could easily be among the best players in the NHL again........as he was when he initially started out with Winnipeg.

Laine is a floater and can't even get a regular gig on one of the worst teams in the NHL.  Kuzmenko actually works hard off the puck, which is why his production is down.  Once Kuzmenko gets that feel again he will start scoring more goals.  He will be alot cheaper to re-sign as well.  Laine at $8.7 million is severely overpaid.  We can't afford to pay any wingers $8 million.  Even Boeser is looking like trade bait next summer if he keeps scoring goals.  I doubt Allvin re-signs Boeser to an 8x8 contract.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Laine is a floater and can't even get a regular gig on one of the worst teams in the NHL.  Kuzmenko actually works hard off the puck, which is why his production is down.  Once Kuzmenko gets that feel again he will start scoring more goals.  He will be alot cheaper to re-sign as well.  Laine at $8.7 million is severely overpaid.  We can't afford to pay any wingers $8 million.  Even Boeser is looking like trade bait next summer if he keeps scoring goals.  I doubt Allvin re-signs Boeser to an 8x8 contract.

That's a really good point about Kuzmenko and something that I hadn't considered.  

Agreed with you that Boeser could be pumped and dumped if he continues his level of play (i.e. traded in the Summer + Lekkerimaki steps in and replaces BB).  

Here's my thing with Laine - yes, he's a floater but the way this guy scored goals during his first few seasons in the NHL.......that was very Ovechkin-like.  Laine had 16 goals in one month one time.  Floater or not, the guy achieved some incredible results when he was playing with a legit 1st line Center in Schiefele. Why Laine was bullied by Schiefele and Wheeler is beyond me, but Laine hasn't played with a legit elite center ever since that time.  

Can you imagine what pre 2020 Laine could do with Elias Pettersson as his center?  Anyway, it's a fantasy.  

I'm not really "sold" on this idea as I am with my Willander-Garland-Andersson idea, but it had crossed my mind. You are right however that from a cap perspective, Kuzmenko would likely be the wiser decision both short term and long term.

We just have had a LE contract for 6 years of which the 4 totally sucked. We have just bought out a $7.2M reclamation project, that didn't get better, and now folks are thinking a $8.7M contract for the next 2 years+ as a new reclamation contract is a good idea?

How many though Eriksson would be great together with the Sedins? yeah right...

No way should we ever entertain the idea of having a floater like Laine on this team. 

The entire team seems to have bought into Tocchet hockey, were everyone competes, defends and plays structured... so lets bring in Laine, who is the total opposite of, what Tocchet want from his players.... lol... not gonna happen.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

We just have had a LE contract for 6 years of which the 4 totally sucked. We have just bought out a $7.2M reclamation project, that didn't get better, and now folks are thinking a $8.7M contract for the next 2 years+ as a new reclamation contract is a good idea?

In defense of this idea, both Eriksson and OEL were at or near 30 years old when they got here and were generally seen as being past their primes.  

Laine is 25 years old and produced like an absolute beast the last time he played alongside a premium #1 center (Schiefele).  He hasn't played with a center of that calibre ever since.  Would Pettersson help Laine get back to his pre-2020 levels?   

Now having said all that, I'm not really "gung ho" on this idea.  Just killing time on a slow day.  😛

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

In defense of this idea, both Eriksson and OEL were at or near 30 years old when they got here and were generally seen as being past their primes.  

Laine is 25 years old and produced like an absolute beast the last time he played alongside a premium #1 center (Schiefele).  He hasn't played with a center of that calibre ever since.  Would Pettersson help Laine get back to his pre-2020 levels?   

True, and if could find his scoring touch, he could be our Ovi playing with Petey. However, if Laine can't find his scoring touch, he offers nothing. If that is the case we may as well kiss this window good bye. We can't afford nearly $9M in the press box. 

We need to rid ourselves of a couple of high earners, and get a better D established. 

We have decent firepower already, just need to get the D stronger and we will have a good opportunity to do damage. Over the next two years. 
The way Garland is playing is offering hope, that he could be part of a deal to bring in the D we ate looking for. Especially if he continues his rich form of play. 

If Kuz doesn't find his scoring touch ( sure he will) but he can leave and open up cap space as well. 

Brock has value again. 

There will be plenty of options to improve the team, in departments that needs improved. 

Its always hard to say godbye to loved ones, but its far harder if they play poorly...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1