[Rumour] Are we Doing a Thing? Zadorov Wants Out Edition

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yes

Kessel could be had for dirt cheap as a UFA, he's quick, he's durable, he can play a middle six complimentary scoring role, and he put up 14 goals and 22 assists in 82 games last season. I don't see why he couldn't slot in and produce here too. Season before he put up 8 goals and 44 assists in 82 games, the skill is still there. 

He's a three-time cup champ, he's a very likeable guy, and he'd be an easy addition. He'd also likely be great for the room, he's that kind of guy. 

I can see him being an option for mgmt. Fits their lone criteria.

And rumour is he’s waiting on two teams to create cap space. I bet we’re one of them. 

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I can see him being an option for mgmt. Fits their lone criteria.

And rumour is he’s waiting on two teams to create cap space. I bet we’re one of them. 

He ticks three boxes

Rutherford

Tochett

Being a former Penguin 

• ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yes

Kessel could be had for dirt cheap as a UFA, he's quick, he's durable, he can play a middle six complimentary scoring role, and he put up 14 goals and 22 assists in 82 games last season. I don't see why he couldn't slot in and produce here too. Season before he put up 8 goals and 44 assists in 82 games, the skill is still there. 

He's a three-time cup champ, he's a very likeable guy, and he'd be an easy addition. He'd also likely be great for the room, he's that kind of guy. 

Can't say I'm a big fan of Kessel's game, but this would be a fun signing, if nothing else. The guy can ffnn snipe and is just such a likeable character. That said, with how tough Tochett is on Kuz when he doesn't play both sides of the ice, Kessel may as well build a comfy dog house if he signs here. Lol. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Can't say I'm a big fan of Kessel's game, but this would be a fun signing, if nothing else. The guy can ffnn snipe and is just such a likeable character. That said, with how tough Tochett is on Kuz when he doesn't play both sides of the ice, Kessel may as well build a comfy dog house if he signs here. Lol. 

Tochett and Kessel already have history together though, I don't see why this would be an issue 

6 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

But isn't he kinda unfit and overweight???

He's supposedly been waiting for a team or two to clear space, I'd imagine he's been working out 

Seems to me the best thing to do for now is chill and let the success ride.  We have some players to resign and our cap situation is somewhat precarious going forward.  If we can ship our Myers or Garland for positive assets that would be one thing, but I doubt that is an option so I dont see any reason to tinker too hard at this point.

• Cheers 1

Has this one been mentioned? It would give us the extra $1M in cap space that has been rumored as an Allvin want.

- Conor Garland
(3 years at $4.95M)

- Anthony Beauvilier
(1 year at $4.15M)

- Christian Wolanin
(2 years at $0.775M)

TO VANCOUVER

- Colton Parayko (15% Cap Hit)
(7 years at $5.25M)

- Jakub Vrana
(1 year at $2.625M)

- 2nd Round Selection Toronto 2024

4 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

That is way too much to give up and no, it doesn't guarantee us being a contender. 

Hard PASS. 

feel like people have a very short memory on players that are one year removed from career years and still producing solid numbers on a dumpster fire of a team then the assets it costs to remove the dead weight from our current team, not saying guarantee contender cuz that’s what leaf fans think after any move but to add another 30+ goal scorer and a top pair rhd calibre to the team would def make Canucks a lot better of a team never mind unloading Myers and the Alf 

Edited by Captain insano

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

Exactly.  We're not winning the cup this year, and Myers is playing fine as a 3rd pair RHD.  Just ride it out and use that money on Hronek next year onwards.

EP’s contract extension says hello.

2 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

I like Dhaliwal, but Eklund is useless.

I’ve come around a bit with Dhali as he’s been a bit more on the ball with respect to some Nux news recently. 

Eklund is a farce and a hack. 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Has this one been mentioned? It would give us the extra $1M in cap space that has been rumored as an Allvin want.

- Conor Garland
(3 years at $4.95M)

- Anthony Beauvilier
(1 year at $4.15M)

- Christian Wolanin
(2 years at $0.775M)

TO VANCOUVER

- Colton Parayko (15% Cap Hit)
(7 years at $5.25M)

- Jakub Vrana
(1 year at $2.625M)

- 2nd Round Selection Toronto 2024

someone posted it in the Garland thread. Here’s some thoughts I had on it:

23 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

first off,  ‘a trade proposal emerges’ could be referring to a proposal made here on CFF. Doesn’t sound like this has been offered or discussed, unless I’m missing something.

To answer your question, it does address some of our needs / plans. And the more I think about it, the less I hate it.

It frees up about $1.3M cap space immediately, which has been reported as one of our objectives in a trade. Possibly to sign Bear (love it or hate it).

It also gets us off Garlands contract, even though that cap is reallocated to a D. So in a sense, we’re clearing cap for the next two years, but spending it immediately on Parayko. Returning a D was also a reported objective of any Garland trade.

Parayko fits our plan to make the playoffs this year, and be competitive in 2-3 years. He should at least be a legit top 4D (3/4) for the next 3-4 years. 

At 30 he doesn’t fit our core age, but Miller at 30 doesn’t either. May not hurt to add another vet / champion. PA said they wouldn’t trade a 1st for a 30 year old player, but he may consider this.

It avoids retention, we clear two contracts at once. Parayko is a (mitigated) risk at $5.25, that adds size/shutdown ability to our top 4. The greatest risk will be the last few years of his contract (same as JT), at which point, the cap will rise.

If Vrana doesn’t work out, he can play in Abby to free another $1.15M this season, and/or maybe traded at the deadline for a pick.

Just some thoughts. Not sold on it. Shades of the OEL deal, except Parayko seems to compliment our group better, with a couple smaller, puck moving lefties. 

• Cheers 1

Aside from Garland, who is speculated to have asked for a trade, There is no one currently in the top 12 i want to lose! haha

So, just Myers and Garland on my 'can spare em' list. 

I wonder what/if we can get back from a package of those guys for a Dman? Must be something available out there....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Huggy Bear said:

I’d be down to make the black skate our main jersey. 

The team is changing identity/culture. Might be the right time to change the brand at the same time. Players prefer them…and something fits with Tocchet being a Philly guy (black and orange).

Penguin as the shoulder patch.

my favourite games are the ones they play in the halloween colours. Makes us look meaner too, as an aside. 

• Cheers 1