[Rumour] Are we Doing a Thing? Zadorov Wants Out Edition

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He'll likely be expensive to acquire from the Flames whether he's requested a trade or not, I can tell you that for free. 😉 

Leafs or Oilers should be all over this though.

It wasn't directed at anyone in particular, I just think it's waaaaaay too early too be talking about "all-in" and "contention". We're not even halfway through November, we haven't made the playoffs in back to back years in ages and I'm not a homer so I'm not expecting us to waltz into the playoffs and walk straight to a final. 

Management should do their due diligence, absolutely, but people can be excited about the start while recognizing the context of it and being pragmatic. It's a long season. We're a Hughes, Demko, or Pettersson injury away from potentially looking verrrry different. 

For sure.  

I agree management probably shouldn’t be all in on the season this early.  That’s silly.

Especially trading for rentals or anything like that.  

I’d love to see them stay aggressive in acquiring long term pieces, though.  They look fully committed to building around this core and no reason to stop now.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

IMO, Brzustewicz should be on the No-Trade list, along with Willander, Lekkerimaki, Alriksson, D-Petey, and Raty (because they need a high-end C developing).

You can put all our decent prospects on a no-trade list, but that means you also won't be acquiring anyone actually decent. You have to give to get and if we aren't we're stuck acquiring the Mark Friedman's of the world.

I don't necessarily think we should be buying based on one month of good play, but if we are we should pay the cost to actually fix the holes and not just hope the duct tape holds.

A zadorov move is not an all in move.. it’s a move that benefits now and the future.. he’s an upgrade on the top 4 and any move for zadorov will prolly come with an extension shortly with whichever team that acquires him. I don’t see zadorov reaching ufa if he’s traded. No team is going to pay a high price if they ain’t intent on re-signing the guy

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

A zadorov move is not an all in move.. it’s a move that benefits now and the future.. he’s an upgrade on the top 4 and any move for zadorov will prolly come with an extension shortly with whichever team that acquires him. I don’t see zadorov reaching ufa if he’s traded. No team is going to pay a high price if they ain’t intent on re-signing the guy

If management likes Zadorov as a good 4LD then I’ll be excited - they’ve been bang on so far.

Agree it’s not an all in move - and shouldn’t cost “all in” assets.  Cole can always play his off side - would be a punishing pair. 

Still need to find a #3 to drive that pairing IMO but that’s not a move you can force.

11 hours ago, Provost said:

A 2nd and a mid tier prospect plus one of Garland or Beauvillier

Any more than that and it is too steep for Zadorov.

Toronto is in way worse shape and will probably want to offer more 

I think we dont even have to offer a 2nd or a prospect, just a Beauvillier or a Garlund. Calgary is desperate for offense.

So Zadorov is a LD. I know he's a big, skilled talent that any team would covet, but aren't we looking for a RD of this caliber? I would assume acquiring the likes of Zadorov is a move to keep Hronek on Huggy's right side, yes? No doubt Zadorov would move the needle for sure. We'd still need to get a RD of significance to really make a swing towards SC contention.  

The aforementioned Tanev is certainly been talked about. If he can be acquired then that certainly gives us different pairing options with him and Zadorov. I know Zadorov meets out age requirement, but Tanev is not young anymore. However he is younger than Ian Cole, whom we may not have after this season.

Seriously at the end of it all, I don't see any of this happening until we clear some cap. At this point I don't see the need to pull off trades of this magnitude just yet. Next off season after we have a better idea what's required at the conclusion of our 2023-2024 campaign.

3 hours ago, Sativika said:

So Zadorov is a LD. I know he's a big, skilled talent that any team would covet, but aren't we looking for a RD of this caliber? I would assume acquiring the likes of Zadorov is a move to keep Hronek on Huggy's right side, yes? No doubt Zadorov would move the needle for sure. We'd still need to get a RD of significance to really make a swing towards SC contention.  

The aforementioned Tanev is certainly been talked about. If he can be acquired then that certainly gives us different pairing options with him and Zadorov. I know Zadorov meets out age requirement, but Tanev is not young anymore. However he is younger than Ian Cole, whom we may not have after this season.

Seriously at the end of it all, I don't see any of this happening until we clear some cap. At this point I don't see the need to pull off trades of this magnitude just yet. Next off season after we have a better idea what's required at the conclusion of our 2023-2024 campaign.

We already gotten a rd in hronek. Now we need a right or left D in the top 4. Soucy is not the answer. Cole can play either side Myers will be gone after the year or at TDL our LD is just as bad as RD outside of hronek and Hughes 

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

He's an upgrade on Friedman and that's it......which does need to happen, but probably in the off season ufa market.  I wouldn't be giving up pucks or prospects for NZ

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

He's an upgrade on Friedman and that's it......which does need to happen, but probably in the off season ufa market.  I wouldn't be giving up pucks or prospects for NZ

He’s an upgrade over soucy.. in every way shape and form. You guys don’t want to give up prospect for anything.. no to players no to cap dump.. let’s just hold on and wait for them in 3-5 years when miller is 34-35.it’s not like we are giving up first rounders or top tier prospect. We still haven’t had prospect outside of 1st round that made an impact anyways. If it’s just for rental no if they re-sign him I have no issue 

• Cheers 1

To be honest I'd rather have someone a bit better defensively as our 2LD going forward like Hanifin or try and take someone at free agency like Skeij. Forsling is a pending UFA which is interesting but doesn't fit our needs.

Beauvillier + whatever prospect or mid pick Calgary want for Zadorov is fair if we think there's no way we can get Hanifin or Skeij to come over in the off-season.

His value must be decent but surely after requesting a trade and being a pending UFA will drive that cost down. I doubt Beau straight up gets it done but maybe we can flip them one of our many recent defensive prospect draftees who aren't scoring over a PPG right now.

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

To be honest I'd rather have someone a bit better defensively as our 2LD going forward like Hanifin or try and take someone at free agency like Skeij. Forsling is a pending UFA which is interesting but doesn't fit our needs.

Beauvillier + whatever prospect or mid pick Calgary want for Zadorov is fair if we think there's no way we can get Hanifin or Skeij to come over in the off-season.

His value must be decent but surely after requesting a trade and being a pending UFA will drive that cost down. I doubt Beau straight up gets it done but maybe we can flip them one of our many recent defensive prospect draftees who aren't scoring over a PPG right now.

How do the Canucks afford Hanifin though (with QH and Hronek)? Projected salary is in the $6.6M range. IMHO, theh need to find value in the $3.5M - $4.5m range for 3/4 D. To me that is most likely via trade or signing a player like Z and fitting him into the system to kill time until young D mature.

4 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

How do the Canucks afford Hanifin though (with QH and Hronek)? Projected salary is in the $6.6M range. IMHO, theh need to find value in the $3.5M - $4.5m range for 3/4 D. To me that is most likely via trade or signing a player like Z and fitting him into the system to kill time until young D mature.

There is a way we can make it work, even if Hanifin and Hronek get 7M and Petey gets 11-12M. That's 14M extra than what we currently have, plus OEL's buyout goes up a couple of mil.

We lose Beauvillier and Myers, that's 10M. Re-sign Cole to 1M cheaper, that's 11M. We need around 5M in cap space then. Sell Garland, sorted.

On 11/11/2023 at 2:33 PM, stawns said:

If you think he's "just an upgrade on Friedman and that's it", then either you think Friedman's a really good defenseman or you clearly haven't watched Zadorov's game. He's been arguably one of Calgary's best defensemen and has steadily improved year after year after year. The guy's a steal at his cap hit.

Think of him as almost another Tanev. No one talks about Tanev usually because usually dmen who are talked about not putting up points are in the negative limelight. Zadorov's another one of those who doesn't get talked about often because he's doing the right things. You could be forgiven if you don't know his game well as a result, but don't discount him just because you're paranoid of losing picks and prospects or just want to yell at clouds like an old man. 😉

Edited by The Lock
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

There is a way we can make it work, even if Hanifin and Hronek get 7M and Petey gets 11-12M. That's 14M extra than what we currently have, plus OEL's buyout goes up a couple of mil.

We lose Beauvillier and Myers, that's 10M. Re-sign Cole to 1M cheaper, that's 11M. We need around 5M in cap space then. Sell Garland, sorted.

Just don't see how that is sustainable given the large increases for EP and then Hughes in three years. Team will be lucky to get EP at 12M but expect it to be higher.

IMHO team needs to pick their core, 2 dmen, 2 centres, a winger and a goalie. Any other players outside that group need to be ELC/RFA types or below $6M (well below in most cases).

Edited by NoCupSyndrome

5 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Just don't see how that is sustainable given the large increases for EP and then Hughes in three years. Team will be lucky to get EP at 12M but expect it to be higher.

IMHO team needs to pick their core, 2 dmen, 2 centres, a winger and a goalie. Any other players outside that group need to be ELC/RFA types or below $6M (well below in most cases).

I get that, but contenders go out and nab other team's best players. I remember when Boston had such a solid core, was already a contender and then they go out and get Lindholm to give them to top defencemen.

We could get by with Zadorov fine but very rarely does an opportunity come along that a solid two way 26 year old defender becomes available like this, and we've got a chance to grow that solid young core.

I remember Chicago did it as well, they already had such a solid core and only go out and get Hossa when they didn't really need to. Put them over the top.

Obviously I doubt I'd ever happen and Zadorov makes more sense realistically but if we want to be considered contenders now, a big time play for another top player is what contenders do usually at the TDL.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

We don't know where Zad's head is. I like his size and age. I like what Foote and Gonchar have done with the back end. No NHL defenseman wouldn't/shouldn't be excited about joining Vancouver. I just cannot see Calgary dealing with us.   

They may have to depending on how uncomfortable it gets in the room and if we have the best offer. But I expect him to go east, just not with the leafs.

• Like 1