[Rumour] Are we Doing a Thing? Zadorov Wants Out Edition

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I just cannot see Calgary dealing with us.   

If Zadorov really wants to come to Vancouver and play with and for the Greatest Team on Earth, then he can force Calgary's hand, can he not?

He is a UFA at the end of this season and has no 'clauses' (NTC, NMC, etc.), so Calgary can trade him to anywhere/anyone they want (if I am reading capfriendly.com correctly).

He can just wait them out, no matter what they do, and make up his mind in UFA.

But if Calgary trades him to Vancouver, they can lever Zadorov's wishes (again, assuming he wants to be here) into getting more out of Vancouver perhaps than other teams who realize they are not going to be able to re-sign him.

Plus, to even things out, and take care of Mr. Future Considerations, and Mr. Past Considerations, and considering that we gave them Tanev and Markstrom for nothing, they should give us the New Big Z (NBZ) for free!

That is, #NBZ4FREE.

• ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

We don't know where Zad's head is. I like his size and age. I like what Foote and Gonchar have done with the back end. No NHL defenseman wouldn't/shouldn't be excited about joining Vancouver. I just cannot see Calgary dealing with us.   

Believe it or not, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for Calgary to be willing to trade with us. It's happened a few times in the past. We received Baertschi and Granlund through trades with them, both of which ended up to be good pieces for us. Zadorov wouldn't be out of the ordinary from that.

In terms of willingness on Zadorov's part, he has no trade protection, so the only factor that might play into is how we'd feel long term with him.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1

“But I love my time being a Calgary Flame. I’m enjoying it every day. I love the fans. I love the city. Like I said last summer, I would love to be a Calgary Flame for my whole life. But the business side, sometimes stuff happens, you know? My agent has to protect me at some points, for sure.”

Have to wonder about the timing with the Flames saying that they're not doing anymore contracts.  He's right at the age where his next payday is likely his best.  So perhaps he wants out so he can showcase himself better (or have better stats with a better team) for a big payday.  Hate to say it, but I'm not sure we can afford it.  Hope the Canucks don't give up assets for a guy who's overpaid or gone by the end of the year.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

“But I love my time being a Calgary Flame. I’m enjoying it every day. I love the fans. I love the city. Like I said last summer, I would love to be a Calgary Flame for my whole life. But the business side, sometimes stuff happens, you know? My agent has to protect me at some points, for sure.”

Have to wonder about the timing with the Flames saying that they're not doing anymore contracts.  He's right at the age where his next payday is likely his best.  So perhaps he wants out so he can showcase himself better (or have better stats with a better team) for a big payday.  Hate to say it, but I'm not sure we can afford it.  Hope the Canucks don't give up assets for a guy who's overpaid or gone by the end of the year.

I think Zadorov on the 4 4.5 range makes sense. I'm fine with an extra year to keep it at 4. I look at this way. The OEL buyout plus Zadorov is close, give or take, to just having OEL. Would we have traded OEL for Zadorov? Absolutely. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Of course that's why. NHL careers are short and injuries can strike at any time.

Staying in Calgary and having a "meh" year could be the difference between a 2 year $3m+ contract or a ~4 year $4m+ contract for him (either of which we can afford fwiw). Never mind the chance to compete in playoffs in said short career. It's not like he's magically going to get paid $7m+

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

We don't know where Zad's head is. I like his size and age. I like what Foote and Gonchar have done with the back end. No NHL defenseman wouldn't/shouldn't be excited about joining Vancouver. I just cannot see Calgary dealing with us.   

Yeah, same here. I just can't see Calgary dealing with a divisional rival. They'd rather deal Zadorov out of the division unless the Canucks overpay, which I can't see Allvin doing.