[Rumour] Are we Doing a Thing? Zadorov Wants Out Edition

Just now, SV. said:

Not much, if I'm being honest.  Most of the damage has already been done, so we may as well ride things out.

From my perspective, we'd be talking something unrealistic, like a conditional 7th or around that, to contemplate dumping him in year 5 or 5 of his deal.

Exactly.  We're not winning the cup this year, and Myers is playing fine as a 3rd pair RHD.  Just ride it out and use that money on Hronek next year onwards.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I worry Zadorov would be Gudbranson 2.0, but maybe I don't know his game well enough.

Tanev would be amazing, but he's almost 34 and I'm not sure he makes sense for a team unless they need more veterans on D or are making a Cup push. We have Cole on D for experience already and the rest of our D are reasonably experienced, so I don't think experience is an issue. As well as we've started, I also don't see us as a Cup contender, so I'm not sure Tanev is the best fit. If he was maybe three years younger, I'd think differently.

I dunno about Zadorov, I know there are plenty of folks around here who like his size, and I know folks point to the Russian factor too. But I dunno, I'm not any more interested in becoming a Russian boys club than I am in our becoming a Swedish boys club. 

I know some folks immediately think "big d good", but I'd need someone to sell me on his underlying numbers. 

Tanev could be a bit too old, certainly. Canucks would be in tough to try and pry a prime-aged top four RD away from a team worth it's salt though. Any team that fancies itself a playoff team probably isn't moving such a player. 

I also question the wisdom of paying big to make an addition at this point, seems shortsighted a month into the season. I don't see us as a contender either, let alone a surefire playoff team. It's early, all it'd take is a catastrophic injury or two and we could be treading water. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Reward the players? Bring Dad home. Tanev would be a massive boost to the moral of the team and the performance on the ice.

Tanev would be great in the room as well, I think he would also help Hughes (not that he needs it) but on a personal level with leadership 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

How about Myers (for the cap), 2025 protected 1st, Ratu for Hertl 1.5 mil retained?  SJS are going to suck for many years to come, so they can retain. 

Or same package for Pesce with a reasonable extension? might have to find a 3rd party to take Myers tho. 

Pesce would be a piece they'd have to wait on though, at least in the short term 

Not sure Carolina would take that package anyway, hard to say where they're actually at with Pesce, wouldn't be surprised if they moved or extended him

They could also just keep him as their own rental, though I'm inclined to believe that if he's moved it'll be to bolster their forward group

Not interested in Hertl's contract even with retention 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Pesce would be a piece they'd have to wait on though, at least in the short term 

Not sure Carolina would take that package anyway, hard to say where they're actually at with Pesce, wouldn't be surprised if they moved or extended him

They could also just keep him as their own rental, though I'm inclined to believe that if he's moved it'll be to bolster their forward group

Not interested in Hertl's contract even with retention 

yeah maybe I got too exited on Hertl. Must be all the hookers and blow talk. 

I didn't realize how injury prone he's been. I rescind that one. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I mean they’ve been working the phones hard since before the season. We all knew that. Nothing has changed in terms of needing to trade Garland and upgrade the D.

The reason being to reward the players seems like nothing more than speculation. The issue remains the same though that any trade will likely have to be a cap in cap out trade and those are hard to make.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I mean they’ve been working the phones hard since before the season. We all knew that. Nothing has changed in terms of needing to trade Garland and upgrade the D.

The reason being to reward the players seems like nothing more than speculation. The issue remains the same though that any trade will likely have to be a cap in cap out trade and those are hard to make.

Guys on 650 saying it would be great if we could get Tom Wilson. They mentioned some silly idea to get Seth Jones too. Yuk to that one. But Tom Wilson would be awesome. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yeah maybe I got too exited on Hertl. Must be all the hookers and blow talk. 

I didn't realize how injury prone he's been. I rescind that one. 

He'll also be 30 pretty quick and has another six years on his deal

I'd rather the Canucks not bring in or give significant term to anyone who isn't a core piece for the foreseeable future 

Pettersson or Hughes are the only guys I'd be throwing long term at, Hronek I'd give maybe 4-6 which would take him to roughly 32 at the longer end 

Demko's got another couple seasons after this one but I'd offer him 4-5 years as well 

Canucks should largely stick to shorter or medium length term deals, flexibility is important 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

How about Myers (for the cap), 2025 protected 1st, Ratu for Hertl 1.5 mil retained?  SJS are going to suck for many years to come, so they can retain. 

Or same package for Pesce with a reasonable extension? might have to find a 3rd party to take Myers tho. 

Feels like Eriksson for OEL trade, part 2. I'd rather just finish Myers instead of extending it again.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Guys on 650 saying it would be great if we could get Tom Wilson. They mentioned some silly idea to get Seth Jones too. Yuk to that one. But Tom Wilson would be awesome. 

Why would we spend all those assets for a winger? Makes zero sense.

If we’re making a trade for a forward it would be a third line center.

Top 4 D are the only thing they should be looking at right now though.

1 hour ago, Honkin Hronek said:

I imagine a Garland+1st for Rasmus Andersson deal is being looked at. Gets Tyler Myers out of the lineup (anlthough he’s been much better aof late) and gives us another bonafide Top 3 D to play with Cole. 

No to Kane, he’s a floater and too slow now. Maybe to Kessel. 

Kuz - Petey - Mik 

PDG - Miller - Boeser 

Joshua - Suter - Kessel 

Beau - Lafferty - Hog

Hughes - Hronek 

Cole - Andersson 

Soucey - Friedman/Myers 

Demko

Desmith

Nothing says asset management like sending over a package like that for the player chosen with the 2nd we gave Calgary

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Why would we spend all those assets for a winger? Makes zero sense.

If we’re making a trade for a forward it would be a third line center.

Top 4 D are the only thing they should be looking at right now though.

How much would Tom Wilson cost? Garland + ?

As of this year we'll have no less than 11 roster contracts in their final year of UFA or RFA status and an estimated $31 million in cap space coming up.

Doing something knee jerk just for the sake of doing something like trading mass assets out for one asset in seems stupid and exactly what we've seen done so many times over the past decade.

Could we just...not?

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How much would Tom Wilson cost? Garland + ?

Every team in the league would be lining up for Wilson if he was actually available. Very rare player in this league.

Would cost a 1st and a blue chipper like Lekkeramaki or Willander most likely.

• Thanks 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Every team in the league would be lining up for Wilson if he was actually available. Very rare player in this league.

Would cost a 1st and a blue chipper like Lekkeramaki or Willander most likely.

Oh. Yuk then. Need our young and best prospects. Allvin won’t make the Benning mistakes. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Will he work hard for Toc though?

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Phil gets a bad rap but you don't become the all-time NHL iron man and produce the way he has historically by not working. I don't see why he'd be good enough for a team that's been a contender in Vegas but not good enough for us. 

IIRC Tocc and Kessel got along very well in Pittsburgh, didn't they? Seems like an unlikely pair but I think that was the case. Didn't Kessel agree to waive his NTC in Pitt to go to Arizona because he liked Tocc?