When can the 2023 team be considered legit?

DANJR

On 10/31/2023 at 11:07 PM, coolboarder said:

You got the point there however, these teams we faced were a playoffs team and a tough schedule to start the season with tough back to back games at home.    Things will settle down but still tough schedule in middle of November with 7 games in 11 days stretch around US Thanksgiving week.  True test will always be divisional games.  I see two key parts in the season, Novembver/January with more road games than home and March home schedule type that will make or break the season.  

Call these teams playoff teams based on last year and using that as a basis opens the arguement that those teams saw the canucks as bottome feeders and did prepare properly, once again devaluing the wins

the important thing that Im seeing is their ability to claw back and be able yo close out games for wins

On 10/31/2023 at 3:06 PM, DANJR said:

It is really early in the season still.  We haven't passed the 10 game mark.
Indicators are all over the place though.  The talk of Hughes and Hronek, the quality of Petey, our goaltending tandem and Miller talk.
There have been a lot of articles early this season on the Canucks.  Many years in the last few decades, you could go months without seeing any positive story on the Canucks.  When the NHL site starts posting articles it puts the rest of the league on notice (not concerning only canucks) about players and teams trending.

We do have a lot of positive elements to this team, and they are playing a decent game.  Though the sample size is small at this point.  When can the team actually be considered a legit playoff bound team.  Do we have to hit the 21 game quarter season mark?  Halfway through the season or only when we clinch a spot?  

Getting through November will put us at 23 games.  It is a pretty nice schedule at first glance, some very weak teams, some struggling teams, middle of the road teams and a few against top tier.  Three back to backs is kind of concerning, but none are against back to back top tier teams.  If we go through half the games and have a similar winning percentage, will we be considered legit at that point?  That will be about 1/6 of the schedule.

Were we to win the next two games and sit at .750 things look pretty awesome.  Even one win out of the next two is a fantastic rate of .650.  Those winning percents are guarantee's to get into the playoffs.  Two losses will throw all that hard work into the bin and we are at about what everyone thought our real potential was.

So what are your takes on when can you consider this team legit, after a certain game, amount of points or just how well they meet the top tier teams in match-ups?

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts.

Legit? We're a legit 10-15th team, with a season under our belts and best case scenario we make it in the post, a tweak or 2 and then 2024-2025 when we have legit depth with some experience so we can cover injuries ok, then we're truly legit but that's up to JR and how well Colliton develops our young guys, lots of variables though but we're moving forward at least, all of that 2012 team is in the rear view mirror and I couldn't be happier. 

Mik and Kuz sure helped a lot out of nowhere, that was perfect timing for a change, same with Laffy and Blue, pretty much every player whose new. 

I'm surprised actually, normally the stars never align anything remotely like this, should be a fun season to watch.. fingers crossed! 

GCG! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, flat land fish said:

Teams off to a hot start just a matter of being consistent all year.  The legit teams are the ones like the Bruins where they lose some guys and just keep rolling on without skipping a beat.  We'll know this team is legit when they encounter and overcome some adversity.

We don't have the depth for that, YET! Close? Uh huh... Another season or 2 and that should change, we hope.....

6 hours ago, iceman1964 said:

We don't have the depth for that, YET! Close? Uh huh... Another season or 2 and that should change, we hope.....

We won't know if we have the depth until we get to that point.   Even Vegas couldn't survive half their team been injured, then went and won a cup.   Only Dallas (and rightly so, CAR was much better than Florida but they lost anyways) gave them a run for their money really.    

Contenders today are not that easy to identify either.  NYI made the final four twice in a row - nobody was calling them a contender.    Suspect we'd have to do that at least once and then maybe we'd get that honour. 

St. Louis basically made the playoffs since their inception ... was considered a contender twice (early 90's and around 2000 with a 30 min a night duo of Al Mac and Pronger sure why not?) and came out of nowhere and won a cup and that blurred the lines even further.   Not a contender and then won a cup.    Giving the mushy middle (12-20th ranked teams a feeling like "hey maybe we can win too!".. everyone is a contender lol. 

Regular season records matter to a degree, but you have to also look at how teams do after that.   Right now that's Boston for sure.  CAR for sure.  TB if Vasilevsky is back and ok maybe.   Then a tier that includes NJ, NYR and TO.  

In the west it's easy.   Dallas and Vegas and COL.    EDM wouldn't count them out just yet.   Wouldn't be the first team that's struggled early and then found their footing.    

Canucks need to start with playoffs. 

Edit:  As far as depth goes, last Spring, when Hronek went down and Schenn was traded ... who was playing on our D again?    QHs, Myers ? ? ? ?   So maybe our "depth" isn't so bad really.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

Nov 30th vs vegas …. If we roll through all the teams before that game and win 80% of (sea/edm/cgy/colorado) then ill know were the real deal right noe everyones buying in BUT for this team to be sucessful we need our bottom 6 to give us more than they have 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

We won't know if we have the depth until we get to that point.   Even Vegas couldn't survive half their team been injured, then went and won a cup.   Only Dallas (and rightly so, CAR was much better than Florida but they lost anyways) gave them a run for their money really.    

Contenders today are not that easy to identify either.  NYI made the final four twice in a row - nobody was calling them a contender.    Suspect we'd have to do that at least once and then maybe we'd get that honour. 

St. Louis basically made the playoffs since their inception ... was considered a contender twice (early 90's and around 2000 with a 30 min a night duo of Al Mac and Pronger sure why not?) and came out of nowhere and won a cup and that blurred the lines even further.   Not a contender and then won a cup.    Giving the mushy middle (12-20th ranked teams a feeling like "hey maybe we can win too!".. everyone is a contender lol. 

Regular season records matter to a degree, but you have to also look at how teams do after that.   Right now that's Boston for sure.  CAR for sure.  TB if Vasilevsky is back and ok maybe.   Then a tier that includes NJ, NYR and TO.  

In the west it's easy.   Dallas and Vegas and COL.    EDM wouldn't count them out just yet.   Wouldn't be the first team that's struggled early and then found their footing.    

Canucks need to start with playoffs. 

Edit:  As far as depth goes, last Spring, when Hronek went down and Schenn was traded ... who was playing on our D again?    QHs, Myers ? ? ? ?   So maybe our "depth" isn't so bad really.   

Ok maybe I should have specified, my definition of depth is depth with NHL experience, we don't have that "yet", what I was referring to is when our depth does have it but that's why I mentioned a year or 2 when they could fit in seamlessly, know the systems, their teammates play styles, etc etc . 

But ok, my bad, should have been more specific I guess. 

Personally I can hardly wait to see Willander with a year of NHL experience, D-Petey too, I had no idea he had some snarl to his game.

Makes him that much more valuable imo 

1 hour ago, footsteps said:

Win the Stanley Cup: Gods

Win the Conf. Final: Demi-gods

Win the Conf. Semis: Nephilim

Win the Conf. Quarters: Heroes of Renown

Make the playoffs: Legit

(it's Friday afternoon after a blow-out win, so I'm feeling chipper!) 😉

The heroes of renown came down from the heavens and came into the daughters of men creating the Nephilim    

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Nephilim

1 hour ago, footsteps said:

Win the Stanley Cup: Gods

Win the Conf. Final: Demi-gods

Win the Conf. Semis: Nephilim

Win the Conf. Quarters: Heroes of Renown

Make the playoffs: Legit

(it's Friday afternoon after a blow-out win, so I'm feeling chipper!) 😉

Like, if that happened now?    a race of alien beings coming down and breeding with earthly women to create another race?

I'm going to go against my earlier comments in this thread (i.e. wait until the 20-25 game mark).    

I think the Canucks could be for real right now.  

Tocchet and the coaching staff have completely changed the culture here.  

Tonight's game against Dallas sold it for me.  

Even back in 2019/2020 when the Canucks last made the playoffs, they looked uncomfortable playing with the lead during the regular season and would often "play not to lose."  They would become very passive in terms of challenging pointmen and 'closing the gap,' and would play a very passive and 'collapsed' style of hockey.  

Those days appear to be completely gone if tonight was of any indication.  The Canucks continued to play aggressively and confidently even when up tonight.  

The next "big test" for us will be to see how the Canucks play when they get some key injuries to one or more of their core players (i.e. Petey, Hughes, Miller, Hronek, Demko, Kuzmenko), but the way this coaching staff has implemented their system, I'm not even sure it would impact us nearly as much as this would have in the past.

This Canucks team is for real.   Not quite 2010-2012 levels but we're closer than one might think (maybe the 2008-2009 team might be a good comparison).

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Like 1