[Article] Eyes on the Isles claiming the Isles are the Winners of the trade for Bo Horvat

Shekky

14 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Good for you. I'm a little more optimistic. 

By all means, I hope you’re right. I just have trouble seeing it. I’d expect a future top six guy to be clipping at more than .5 ppg in the ahl.

that being said, development isn’t linear, and I haven’t taken a real close look at what other guys who went on to be top six centres were doing in the AHL at 20y/o. 

optimism is nice though….

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

By all means, I hope you’re right. I just have trouble seeing it. I’d expect a future top six guy to be clipping at more than .5 ppg in the ahl.

that being said, development isn’t linear, and I haven’t taken a real close look at what other guys who went on to be top six centres were doing in the AHL at 20y/o. 

optimism is nice though….

I don't know for certain, either. 

But he is showing a lot of promise, and based on his scouting report: 

A play-driving offensive center who plays a solid 200-foot game. A dual-threat because he can make plays and finish them. Great skating ability combined with high-end puck-skills makes him a threat all over the ice. Needs to work on his consistency and discipline. Projects to become a very good top-six center.

More than likely, especially with the coaching he's getting in Abby, he should live up to that potential. 

Time will tell.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

ok then the trade is still a wash and slightly lean towards islanders we traded 3 months of horvat for a 17th raty and a cap dump. sure beau can play but who's going to take a chance at 4mil and see which beau shows up? 

islanders only goal was to make the playoff.. they were not in a playoff spot when the trade happen.. and shortly after they lost barzal and pageau.. everyone here is laughing coz they were expecting a lottery pick at the draft or a lottery pick the following season.. they made the playoff.. so no lottery pick there.. everyone was also laughing at islanders in re-signing bo coz they were guaranteed to regress and be a lottery team again this year.. they are 11th overall in point % 4 points back of the division lead with a game in hand.. it's early in the season of coz anything can happen same thing to be said about the canucks but both teams are playing well enough.

if bo signing have nothing to do with the canucks.. the hronek trade for the pick have nothing to do with the islanders?

The trade for Hronek would be part of it because the 1st was part of the trade. What I'm saying is anything Bo does now is irrelevant because what Bo does in the 2023-24 season was not part of the trade.

Also Beau was not a cap dump. Yes scoring wise he has had a rough start to the season, but last season he was slightly above Horvat in scoring after the trade, so only looking at the 8 games this season is kind of cherry picking. 

I see the canucks winning this trade by a mile.

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

The trade for Hronek would be part of it because the 1st was part of the trade. What I'm saying is anything Bo does now is irrelevant because what Bo does in the 2023-24 season was not part of the trade.

Also Beau was not a cap dump. Yes scoring wise he has had a rough start to the season, but last season he was slightly above Horvat in scoring after the trade, so only looking at the 8 games this season is kind of cherry picking. 

I see the canucks winning this trade by a mile.

have you seen beau stats since he was removed from the top line in march? it's not just "8 games" and you are cherry picking yourself since horvat went to islander and had to play the role of 1c and shutdown c at the same time because barzal and pageau and whoever else is injured. not sure how canucks is winning this trade by a mile when islanders have absolutely nothing to do with hronek. what bo does is irrelevant in 23-24 just like what the canucks does with the pick is irrelevant coz it's no longer part of the islanders.

As others have pointed out, using that 1st as the principal asset to pull Hronek makes this a win-win if the isles are happy with Bo.  

We don’t need Bo to suck to consider this trade a win.  Hronek’s play plus Petey and Miller stepping up settles it for me.  Raty is just icing on the cake - and he looked great in pre season.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

It’s really hard to rate Hronek. Friggin Noah Juulsen looked decent alongside Hughes.

But it’s fair to say the trade worked great for both sides. Even if Hronek is a slam dunk, that’s not really a win over the Isles, it's a win over Yzerman & the Wings.

15 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

have you seen beau stats since he was removed from the top line in march? it's not just "8 games" and you are cherry picking yourself since horvat went to islander and had to play the role of 1c and shutdown c at the same time because barzal and pageau and whoever else is injured. not sure how canucks is winning this trade by a mile when islanders have absolutely nothing to do with hronek. what bo does is irrelevant in 23-24 just like what the canucks does with the pick is irrelevant coz it's no longer part of the islanders.

I'm thinking we're not seeing eye to eye on this....

But what is irrefutable is that Bo didn't have a contract past last season, so Islanders had no guarantee of Bo signing with them, and no guarantee he would sign with us...

So when we traded Bo, we were trading only 3 more months of his play, for the value left on his contract.

For that Canucks receive Beau, a 1st, and Raty.

How can you argue that 3 months of Bo is better than that? Would you rather have kept Bo for the rest of the season and then nothing or would you rather have Hronek, Raty and Beau ?

The likelihood that Beauvillier or Raty ever achieve the level of success that Horvat had as a Canuck is extremeley small. Flipping the 1st to aquire Hronek is (thus far) the only thing that redeemed the mediocre return for Horvat.

Nothing wrong with filling a position of need by trading a valuable yet redundant asset, but the initial return for Horvat was underwhelming and required the subsequent deal with Detroit to balance it out.

Don't know if Isles won or not, but we got a RHD that can play with Hughes, and that is far more important to us than a good 3C...

Even if Raty doesn't work out, a top pairing RHD or even a top 4 RHD, is more valuable to us than Bo. So maybe it turns out to be one of these trades that is good for both sides....

On 10/31/2023 at 7:24 PM, Lewlowned said:

Even just comparing Hronek, let alone Raty and Beauvillier, it feels pretty even, especially for our team needs.

Horvat: 8GP 4G 3A 7P 2PPP, 34SOG, +0, 6HIT, 5 BLK

Hronek: 8GP 0G 7A 7P 1PPP, 16SOG, +8, 7HIT, 11 BLK

Bo is getting significantly more PP time, and he's on the top unit. I know +/- isn't a perfect stat, but Hronek's is significantly better, as Hronek is much better at playing in the defensive end.

Plus, Hronek is three years younger, so the contract he signs will have him in his prime longer.

To be fair this is a one per one deal.  We can't expect the Islanders to consider what we did with their pick to be anything like they'd do with it (well of course not they got Horvat ... not as a rental either). 

If you look at the trade straight up at the time it happend..it's pretty even a slight edge to the Isles. Hard to judge early on as who he would have played last year was mostly hurt.

It seems to be working out at the moment for both teams. Beau is bringing that veteran presence while Raty looking nice down in Abby (Has 5 pts in 9 gmes) and that 1st turned into a hopefully permanent partner for hughes. 

NYI have a legit offensive player to play with Barzal who has never really had that main guy to play with but i do think that contract will hurt in a few seasons.

Lou only righted a wrong in his own mind. Back in Jersey, they had ZERO succession plan for Brodeur. So he dealt the pick, that was Bo, for a ready made plan in Schneider. Then he went to Toronto. Ends up withering the Islanders, gets Schneider at the end of his career. Then trades for Bo, the one that tried to get away. So righted a wrong......