[Speculation] Flames Have Paused Contract Talks With Pending UFAs

RWJC

13 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Your obsession for defensive defencemen is comical.  Like a girl that got away and now there's a hole in your heart...

image.png.96a9bd74ae2b171443f96fa335891e83.png

Those numbers look good if you know how to read them and what his usage is.

It looks like exactly what we need.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

No one is signing in that hellhole of a city to play for an AHL team without a huge overpayment.

Calgary's actually a very nice city.

From when I was there, I didn't see any evidence of a massive hellhole like the detritus filled area that is the Downtown Eastside. 

Glass houses, buddy

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

From when I was there, I didn't see any evidence of a massive hellhole like the detritus filled area that is the Downtown Eastside. 

Glass houses, buddy

Calgary has a lot of homeless problems as well, Phil. 2,800+ in the last count there. 

Yes we have more here, but we also have to deal with asshat provinces that hand out one way bus tickets to make it our problem. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Calgary has a lot of homeless problems as well, Phil. 2,800+ in the last count there. 

Most cities do. I never stated that Calgary was some mecca for the downtrodden to find a home.

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yes we have more here, but we also have to deal with asshat provinces that hand out one way bus tickets to make it our problem. 

Make it our problem? The issue with the DTES is because of Vancouver and the Liberals deciding to shut down Riverview. That's not the fault of the provinces that supposedly give the homeless bus tickets. This issue is on the province and the city.

21 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Most cities do. I never stated that Calgary was some mecca for the downtrodden to find a home.

Make it our problem? The issue with the DTES is because of Vancouver and the Liberals deciding to shut down Riverview. That's not the fault of the provinces that supposedly give the homeless bus tickets. This issue is on the province and the city.

thats part of it, but we do get a lot of other provinces problems. AB and SK used to do it a lot. 

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-homeless-national-crisis-epicentre

Edited by Bob Long

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And he shouldn't cost TONNES of cap either. +/- $4.5x4 or 5...?

It should be in the $4-5 million range, depends on if he wants to chase the money or be on a decent team.  There will be several teams after him for sure.

The term is most important, I don’t know how long you want to make a deal for.  He will be 30 by the first playoffs you would have him under a new contract for.  Big guys more often suddenly fall off a cliff in terms of play as they age.

He is a complementary player and not a core guy, we should have learned not to blow our brains out on those types of players.  You pick a price/term and if he gets a better offer then you shake hands and say goodbye.  One of Benning’s (many) failures was to get tunnel vision and bid against himself for players he wanted.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Those numbers look good if you know how to read them and what his usage is.

It looks like exactly what we need.

100 percent. He is exactly what this team needs. I bet he wouldn't break the bank to re-sign. We have a good team and some fellow countrymen. I bet he would lick his chops at playing for the Canucks against the Flames and all the wanna be tough players on that team. Zads is a competitor.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The weather in Canada is also a factor. You're far less likely to freeze to death on the streets during the winter in Vancouver than any other big city in Canada. 

4 minutes ago, Audio Dave said:

The weather in Canada is also a factor. You're far less likely to freeze to death on the streets during the winter in Vancouver than any other big city in Canada. 

Yeah. What does that have to do with Vancouver allowing the DTES to become an absolute vile hellhole?

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

thats part of it, but we do get a lot of other provinces problems. AB and SK used to do it a lot. 

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-homeless-national-crisis-epicentre

People moving here from other places has happened since forever. It adds to the issue, but is in no way a root cause of the problem. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Moeknows said:

Yeah except he let Markstrom walk for nothing in return..that's some high incompetence level..

There was absolutely ZERO chance that we were going to trade our MVP of that season right before the playoffs. 

ZERO 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yeah. What does that have to do with Vancouver allowing the DTES to become an absolute vile hellhole?

They will say that homeless people from all over the country come here... 

DTES is a nightmare. I live 10 minutes away and work there (2 minutes away). 

It has been one of the factors of driving me away from my younger self that was in support of decriminalizing drugs, 

The thing is, it's not just downtown Eastside anymore. 

Setting up a tent and doing drugs out in the open has been normalized everywhere in lower mainland now. 

Our city is still attractive to rich athletes but less so then 5-10 years ago I'd say. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Glass houses, buddy

come ride the c-train. dtes on rails. 

• Haha 1

Every team around the league must be watching their situation closely, especially teams who are lower than they'd expected this season (Ottawa, Buffalo) - even though they don't need defencemen, Calgary have a lot of nice pieces. Mang and Lindholm are interesting guys especially. Not sure why anyone in their mid to late 20s, in a contract year, would want to sign long-term and stay on that team, and no idea why the team would want to dish out more long-term contracts after being burned by so many already.

Bridge deals make sense for Calgary but if you're Hanifin, Zadorov, Mang or Lindholm, you'll want to get paid and surely they could anywhere.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Every team around the league must be watching their situation closely, especially teams who are lower than they'd expected this season (Ottawa, Buffalo) - even though they don't need defencemen, Calgary have a lot of nice pieces. Mang and Lindholm are interesting guys especially. Not sure why anyone in their mid to late 20s, in a contract year, would want to sign long-term and stay on that team, and no idea why the team would want to dish out more long-term contracts after being burned by so many already.

Bridge deals make sense for Calgary but if you're Hanifin, Zadorov, Mang or Lindholm, you'll want to get paid and surely they could anywhere.

It could be tough in Calgary by the end of November if they haven't improved. Calgary could move pieces and do a quicker rebuild than if they hang on to the current crew. Is Huberdeau ever going to regain his ppg that he had in Florida? I doubt it. I didn't like him there and he hasn't got any better in Calgary. Barkov was carrying him IMHO. 

No to Tanev. The TOI he would take has to go to younger players. Chris is a bottom pairing guy now.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

It could be tough in Calgary by the end of November if they haven't improved. Calgary could move pieces and do a quicker rebuild than if they hang on to the current crew. Is Huberdeau ever going to regain his ppg that he had in Florida? I doubt it. I didn't like him there and he hasn't got any better in Calgary. Barkov was carrying him IMHO. 

No to Tanev. The TOI he would take has to go to younger players. Chris is a bottom pairing guy now.  

Yeah I'm out on Tanev too, he's looking pretty slow out there and I don't feel like paying a 2nd and a 3rd round pick for him, or whatever it will take. 

Calgary does have three good young forwards in Zary, Pelletier, and Coronato. They also have one of the best young goalies in Dustin Wolf. 

• Cheers 1