[Speculation] Flames Have Paused Contract Talks With Pending UFAs

RWJC

2 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

Yeah I'm out on Tanev too, he's looking pretty slow out there and I don't feel like paying a 2nd and a 3rd round pick for him, or whatever it will take. 

Calgary does have three good young forwards in Zary, Pelletier, and Coronato. They also have one of the best young goalies in Dustin Wolf. 

I don't think they'd trade their young guys in a rebuild which seems inevitable now. As much as I love Tanev, Zadarov would be a better fit here. He'd make a great partner for Willander in the future and solidify the second pair

Hughes Hronek

Zadarov Willander

Soucy Friedman

Hirose, McWard

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Our needs on the back end are:

This season:

RD upgrade on Friedman 

Next season:  2nd and 3rd pair RD

2nd pair LD (Cole)

Tanev could work as a Friedman upgrade this year and a 3rd pairing guy next year - but at his age it’s year to year.  I like Tanev if we’re high on Willander.

Zadorov could works as a long term Cole replacement on the 2nd pair. But IMO that’s an offseason move.  

Management still needs to look at what Cole has done this year and see if he’s worth bringing back on another 1 year deal.  Same goes with Myers and Friedman.

Cheap short term deals for vets could be a lot better than committing to average defenders like Zadorov and / or Peeke.

I think this offseason Management needs to find a true blue 3D to drive the 2nd pair.  Left or right.  Then keep filling the rest in with cheap vets or in house talent.

55 minutes ago, AK-19 said:

I don't think they'd trade their young guys in a rebuild which seems inevitable now. As much as I love Tanev, Zadarov would be a better fit here. He'd make a great partner for Willander in the future and solidify the second pair

Hughes Hronek

Zadarov Willander

Soucy Friedman

Hirose, McWard

Oh yeah for sure, I might've worded that wrong.  I don't think that Calgary would trade any of their young talent. 

I would also prefer Zadorov over Tanev (they are both right-handed though I believe). 

The absolute worst thing that could happen to the Flames is that they stay in the hunt past the trade deadline and don't trade out any pieces. That's exactly what I'm hoping for. 

6 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Oh yeah for sure, I might've worded that wrong.  I don't think that Calgary would trade any of their young talent. 

I would also prefer Zadorov over Tanev (they are both right-handed though I believe). 

The absolute worst thing that could happen to the Flames is that they stay in the hunt past the trade deadline and don't trade out any pieces. That's exactly what I'm hoping for. 

Zadorov is a lefty....I would still prefer him though.

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Upvote 2

A proposal by Jeff Marek this morning involved CGY potentially looking to pry Duclair out of SJS to reunite him with Huberdeau as an attempt to get him going. Wonder what they’d have to give up for that. Hopefully a nice pick just to set CGY back even further when the trade eventually fails to work out for the better.

image.gif.5ee29dec4ba4db0acfe8549185cddbfe.gif

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, RWJC said:

A proposal by Jeff Marek this morning involved CGY potentially looking to pry Duclair out of FLA to reunite him with Huberdeau as an attempt to get him going. Wonder what they’d have to give up for that. Hopefully a nice pick just to set CGY back even further when the trade eventually fails to work out for the better.

Duclair plays for SJ

12 hours ago, RWJC said:

A proposal by Jeff Marek this morning involved CGY potentially looking to pry Duclair out of FLA to reunite him with Huberdeau as an attempt to get him going. Wonder what they’d have to give up for that. Hopefully a nice pick just to set CGY back even further when the trade eventually fails to work out for the better.

Probably nothing. SJ would be cruel to keep him.

No to Tanev.

Calgary rumours have them trying to sign him before Zadorov.

I think Zadorov will hold out anyway, and may ask for a trade once / if Tanev gets signed.

With D man Petersson and Willander perhaps a year away ,  I see Zadorov as a perfect fit with this team presently and into the future.

since we're talking about homelessness, here's how to solve it:
-increase disability to $2,000+/mo and index it to inflation

-legalize all drugs, mass produce them and offer them as prescriptions for addiction, ensuring the substance-dependent have enough to keep them going every day and that the drugs are covered by their healthcare plans

Edited by 112
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 112 said:

since we're talking about homelessness, here's how to solve it:
-increase disability to $2,000+/mo and index it to inflation

-legalize all drugs, mass produce them and offer them as prescriptions for addiction, ensuring the substance-dependent have enough to keep them going every day and that the drugs are covered by their healthcare plans

@PhillipBlunt - your idea is to re-open riverview, so i'm not sure why you're laughing. they've already done that and the problem isn't fixed.

new riverview, on the same grounds:

http://www.bcmhsus.ca/our-services/provincial-integrated-mental-health-addiction-programs/red-fish-healing-centre

the problem has more to do with addiction than mental illness per se. what's wrong with free drugs? keep them doped up, safe and happy, and you'll stop seeing the storefronts smashed in and people getting slashed with machetes.

30 minutes ago, 112 said:

@PhillipBlunt - your idea is to re-open riverview, so i'm not sure why you're laughing. they've already done that and the problem isn't fixed.

new riverview, on the same grounds:

http://www.bcmhsus.ca/our-services/provincial-integrated-mental-health-addiction-programs/red-fish-healing-centre

the problem has more to do with addiction than mental illness per se. what's wrong with free drugs? keep them doped up, safe and happy, and you'll stop seeing the storefronts smashed in and people getting slashed with machetes.

Riverview isn’t opened to the same capacity that it once had. Not even close. At its height, it housed thousands of patients on 90 acres. Most of the buildings on the land are in various stages of disrepair or decay. 
Was there yesterday and can vouch for it being a ghost town. 

Free drugs isn’t a solution. Will alcoholics get free wine? Folks who like weed get free gummies or joints? Of course not. 

Get people off of drugs and then address their mental situation in a safe clinical environment rather than a disease ridden, shit stained area of town. 

32 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Riverview isn’t opened to the same capacity that it once had. Not even close. At its height, it housed thousands of patients on 90 acres. Most of the buildings on the land are in various stages of disrepair or decay. 
Was there yesterday and can vouch for it being a ghost town. 

Free drugs isn’t a solution. Will alcoholics get free wine? Folks who like weed get free gummies or joints? Of course not. 

Get people off of drugs and then address their mental situation in a safe clinical environment rather than a disease ridden, shit stained area of town. 

You're never going to succeed in "[getting] people off drugs." You're not going to win the drug war. There are some people who will never get clean, and these people constitute a permanent market for illicit drugs. Take away the prospect of withdrawal and a lot of people will immediately stop causing destruction.

fwiw, alcoholics and people with cannabis use disorder should get free booze/herb depending on their financial situation imo.

e: there's also no quality of life inside a riverview-like institution. I don't want thousands of people living miserably just because the rest of society thinks they're undesirable. Only the criminally insane convicted of serious crimes should be locked up forever. A lot of people don't get how the humane perspective is to acknowledge people enjoy life more on the streets than confined in a facility like that one.

Edited by 112

On 10/31/2023 at 8:39 PM, AnthonyG said:

Oh look a troll! Bennings been gone 2 years and you still cant stop talking about him for no reason, sounds like a broken hearted jealous ex who hasnt moved on yet. How cute

It's actually scary how obsessed people are about Benning. I hate to make this political, but this is equivalent to people talking about Trudeau. I think there's parallels between the two - very unpopular people nowadays, but at some point, name dropping someone who is NOT related to an event is just asinine behaviour.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

It's actually scary how obsessed people are about Benning. I hate to make this political, but this is equivalent to people talking about Trudeau. I think there's parallels between the two - very unpopular people nowadays, but at some point, name dropping someone who is NOT related to an event is just asinine behaviour.

So you haven’t seen talk about Gillis? You know the guy who was before Benning even and he still get shit from posters.The sooner both Gillis and Benning get dropped as talking points this forum will be quite good.

But I don’t have any high hopes…

On 10/31/2023 at 8:39 PM, AnthonyG said:

Oh look a troll! Bennings been gone 2 years and you still cant stop talking about him for no reason, sounds like a broken hearted jealous ex who hasnt moved on yet. How cute

Benning has been gone for two years but his horrid choices are still impacting the club. He did bring us Hughes, Petey, Miller, Boeser, and Demko though. But he left us with OEL, Garland, and Myers’ contracts. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

So you haven’t seen talk about Gillis? You know the guy who was before Benning even and he still get shit from posters.The sooner both Gillis and Benning get dropped as talking points this forum will be quite good.

But I don’t have any high hopes…

December 5 2021 Jim Benning was fired as GM. It’s been less than 2 seasons and some of his mistakes will be affecting this team until 2029-2030. I would suggest accepting the GMJB talk for a while still especially as it unfortunately remains relevant to an extent 

Edited by RWJC
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, RWJC said:

December 5 2021 Jim Benning was fired as GM. It’s been less than 2 seasons and some of his mistakes will be affecting this team until 2029-2030. I would suggest accepting the GMJB talk for a while still especially as it unfortunately remains relevant to an extent 

Yes, as Gillis still hangaround with Hronek, Beau and Räty clinging to his legacy. 🤣