Tom Willander | D

Fanuck

On 12/30/2023 at 1:17 PM, Canucklehead44 said:

He skyrocketed after the WJC and I was terrified we would pick him. Goes to show how the WJC can really skew draft pick value. 

I was on the trade down boat - I had Chychrun, Sergachev and McAvoy ahead of Juolevi and thought with Tkachuk falling to 6 a team like Ottawa might have swapped with us to recoup a 2nd.

someone leaked a picture of the Canucks draft list and DeBrinct was very high (around mid first round) which makes sense given Brackett. 

There was a lot of controversy in the 2016 draft but if not for that controversy we would have picked Glass over EP40 in 2017

The WJC is the most telling competition that these guys will see all year.  Firstly, its high skill and second, it's against their peers.  The knock against it is that the sample size of games is small.

We are right to be encouraged by players who are doing well in this tournament but be have to consider their play in their regular leagues and also their maturity.  We need to consider the language skills of European players as well.  Willander chose to play at BU so English is not likely a concern for him

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Willander the Great said:

Another +3 today for Willander. So solid. 

With Pettersson logging big minutes, Lekkerimaki leading the tourney in goals and Willander leading the tourney in +/- I’m so pleased with these results. 

Now fingers crossed they can take out the Americans and win gold on their home soil. That would just make this tournament a perfect one. 

I'm definitely cheering for Sweden moving forward.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tonka023 said:

Anyone have a link to watch the gold medal game online?

google onhockey

But YouTube has some Russian ones too

Willander is shutting everything down on his side when hes on the ice 

19 hours ago, R3aL said:

I didn't see how Howard got behind willander there but I am kinda surprised damn

He had 3 guys break behind him in the 2nd period. I thought he was decent (steady) all tourney but chose the worst game to have his worst performance. 

3 hours ago, MikeyD said:

He had 3 guys break behind him in the 2nd period. I thought he was decent (steady) all tourney but chose the worst game to have his worst performance. 

First period he was really solid. I liked his clean simple game a lot anything near him he shut down or cut the angle off. 

second period I thought he had a couple shifts where their were multiple breakdowns by other Swedes and he was out of position too.

third period I thought all of Sweden just kinda fell apart.

• Vintage 1

On 1/5/2024 at 1:55 PM, R3aL said:

I think havelid should have had the last two goals bummer.

Yeah I don't wanna say Havelid lost them the game, but there was no way they were ever going to win this game without a goalie standing on his head. Remember the U18s gold medal game from 2022? Largely the same cores as those players are 19 now, and USA outshot them something like 52-23. On that occasion Havelid was lights out and they were able to hang in and get some quick strikes in transition from the Lekkerimaki line.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, MatchesMalone said:

Yeah I don't wanna say Havelid lost them the game, but there was no way they were ever going to win this game without a goalie standing on his head. Remember the U18s gold medal game from 2022? Largely the same cores as those players are 19 now, and USA outshot them something like 52-23. On that occasion Havelid was lights out and they were able to hang in and get some quick strikes in transition from the Lekkerimaki line.

100% they were no match with overall forward depth / skill.

The goaltending and defence had to keep the game close. I agree completely.

Still walk away from this tournament feeling good about all three canucks.

• Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...