Tom Willander | D

Fanuck

1 hour ago, kettlevalley said:

Nice to see Willander had such a good season.  Wonder how much support he will have to repeat that season next year with exiting players from the program. 

Really awesome pick, I think this kid is on the Canucks at the end of next college season and probably stays there. If he spends time in Abbotsford, I don't think it will be more than a few months adjustment period.

The kid is going to be a top pairing RD for us, a few years down the road.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

So do we know for sure Willander will be going back to NCAA next season ?

From the reports I've read it seems pretty certain that he's going back for another season..

Which means he's not ready for the AHL yet.

This kid needs to be fully ripened before getting to Canucks. So if he's going back to college next season then he needs at least 1 full season o AHL. Call him up for a few games in his 2nd AHL season see how he does and if he's playing well cal him up again at end of the 2nd AHLseason. 

Seems like he's 3 seasons away from being an NHLer and 5 seasons from being a solid contributer with a top 4 role. 

31 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

So do we know for sure Willander will be going back to NCAA next season ?

From the reports I've read it seems pretty certain that he's going back for another season..

This kid needs to be fully ripened before getting to Canucks. So if he's going back to college next season then he needs at least 1 full season o AHL. Call him up for a few games in his 2nd AHL season see how he does and if he's playing well cal him up again at end of the 2nd AHLseason. 

Seems like he's 3 seasons away from being an NHLer and 5 seasons from being a solid contributer with a top 4 role. 

Considering the kid only turned 19 a couple months ago it makes good sense to stay another year in college. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Considering the kid only turned 19 a couple months ago it makes good sense to stay another year in college. 

Gives him a chance to physically mature more and he'd likely get a bigger role in Boston next season

It'd be good to let him stew and delay his ELC 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, WillisD said:

Alvin said a while back that he's returning for a second year and I wouldnt be surprised at a third too.

He's an exceptional player but not ready for the pros yet. 

No rush

A third year? You realize he was an 11th overall pick, right? Returning for a second year would be pretty normal. A third year would be highly irregular and concerning.

20 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't know if one means the other is true. He and the Canucks staff simply could have decided that the college schedule would be better suited for his development at the time.

Makar went back to UMass for two years after the draft before joining the Avs. Same story with Luke Hughes, Sanderson, Cam York, K'Andre Miller, Mattias Samuelsson.

Fox and Faber spent 3 years in college post draft.  McAvoy, Werenski, Hughes all did 2 years at college total but their first NCAA year was in their draft year while Willander was in Sweden his draft year. 

I'm fairly certain we'll see Willander in Canucks colors come next April. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

18 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Gives him a chance to physically mature more and he'd likely get a bigger role in Boston next season

I would expect a much bigger role on his college team next year.  

But I would really like to see him signed after next year.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

I would expect a much bigger role on his college team next year.  

But I would really like to see him signed after next year.  

2 years seems ideal to me, he'll get more benefit from Abby at that point.

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

2 years seems ideal to me, he'll get more benefit from Abby at that point.

I dont expect Willander sees much/any time in Abby.  

D Petey needs Abby.  But might just be what we really need in the end.  

1 minute ago, kettlevalley said:

I dont expect Willander sees much/any time in Abby.  

D Petey needs Abby.  But might just be what we really need in the end.  

it would be great if he could make the jump from college to the team, just not expecting it. A bit of abby time is fine too. 

Willander needs to be the guy for them next year.

With Lane gone he is going to be the teams #1 Dman in all situations.

It will be a big year for him and for his offensive development.

The progression makes a lot of sense for him and his timetable.

He has an awesome development track and opportunity in front of him.

At the end of the NCAA year next year they can evaluate if hes going to Abby for the playoffs / end of season or can make the jump up to play games for us.

But the year after is where I am expecting him to really push for a roster spot in camp.

So from today to that camp he would have:

1 Full NCAA season as the number 1 dman, power play 1 time with Hutson gone

Run of Potential Pro hockey at end of season with Abby or Canucks (meaningful games)

2 Full summers (off season training)

Before the camp I think he pushes for a spot.

And by this time Mynio and EP2 could be pushing too for spots on the left side.

Pretty exciting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Willander needs to be the guy for them next year.

With Lane gone he is going to be the teams #1 Dman in all situations.

It will be a big year for him and for his offensive development.

The progression makes a lot of sense for him and his timetable.

He has an awesome development track and opportunity in front of him.

At the end of the NCAA year next year they can evaluate if hes going to Abby for the playoffs / end of season or can make the jump up to play games for us.

But the year after is where I am expecting him to really push for a roster spot in camp.

So from today to that camp he would have:

1 Full NCAA season as the number 1 dman, power play 1 time with Hutson gone

Run of Potential Pro hockey at end of season with Abby or Canucks (meaningful games)

2 Full summers (off season training)

Before the camp I think he pushes for a spot.

And by this time Mynio and EP2 could be pushing too for spots on the left side.

Pretty exciting.

Maybe Willander can bring Aidan along too.  They did play some together early in the season and those were Aidan's best games.  

5 hours ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

I don't know if one means the other is true. He and the Canucks staff simply could have decided that the college schedule would be better suited for his development at the time.

Makar went back to UMass for two years after the draft before joining the Avs. Same story with Luke Hughes, Sanderson, Cam York, K'Andre Miller, Mattias Samuelsson.

Fox and Faber spent 3 years in college post draft.  McAvoy, Werenski, Hughes all did 2 years at college total but their first NCAA year was in their draft year while Willander was in Sweden his draft year. 

I'm fairly certain we'll see Willander in Canucks colors come next April. 

Good post.. I didn't think about him going straight to NHL after next season in ncaa 

I wouldn't rush him though. Let him over ripen. Give him some AHL time then bring him up.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Willander will play one more year in the NCAA and then turn pro. Most likely he will sign his contract next March/April and burn an ELC year, same as Hughes. 

I doubt he plays much in the AHL. His skating is elite and he is already good defensively. And he’s already playing on the smaller ice. I can see him on our 3rd pairing in 2025/2026. 

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Willander will play one more year in the NCAA and then turn pro. Most likely he will sign his contract next March/April and burn an ELC year, same as Hughes. 

I doubt he plays much in the AHL. His skating is elite and he is already good defensively. And he’s already playing on the smaller ice. I can see him on our 3rd pairing in 2025/2026. 

Yup. Willander will start playing on our D for an elc during the two most costly OElevator buyout years. Nice having management that knows what they’re doing, unlike Benning (the moran).

• Cheers 1

On 4/16/2024 at 9:44 AM, Coconuts said:

Agree with the top paragraph.

I used to think like that in regards to ELC's as a fantasy GM.

Then when I was lucky enough to get a very knowledgeable member as my AGM he pointed out that signing players to their ELC's in the first couple of years is good, especially if they are not playing in the NHL.

By the time they get there, their ELC will have run out in a year, maybe two and very probably they haven't made a huge impact, so you can sign them to a cheaper bridge deal, that takes you closer until you have to give them that longer, higher paying contract that takes them into their UFA years.

If they have proved they have earned it, playing that year maybe two longer on a bridge deal.

Good for the player in a way to, showing them you are committing to them early.

21 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

A third year? You realize he was an 11th overall pick, right? Returning for a second year would be pretty normal. A third year would be highly irregular and concerning.

Depends on the player. Some actually want to get their degree first. Then go for the hockey career. Players that leave University early after 2 seasons usually go back later and finish their degree. Demko spent 3 years in College before going pro.

30 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Depends on the player. Some actually want to get their degree first. Then go for the hockey career. Players that leave University early after 2 seasons usually go back later and finish their degree. Demko spent 3 years in College before going pro.

Goalies are obviously a whole different animal, but Demko wasn't picked 11th overall.

18 minutes ago, MatchesMalone said:

Goalies are obviously a whole different animal, but Demko wasn't picked 11th overall.

I don't want to rush, what is potentially one of the best defensive prospects we've had in a while.

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I don't want to rush, what is potentially one of the best defensive prospects we've had in a while.

You're being ridiculous. He'd already be good enough to play AHL next year if he wanted to. A second year of NCAA is probably preferable so he can play big minutes there, but a third year would be silly.

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Willander will start playing on our D for an elc during the two most costly OElevator buyout years. Nice having management that knows what they’re doing, unlike Benning (the moran).

Same with Lekkerimäki. I think he makes it next season out of training camp. D-Petey will play next season in Abby and then play in the NHL in 2025/2026. D-Petey and Willander will make an incredible defensive pairing. 

Höglander   Pettersson   Lekkerimäki

Pettersson   Willander 

The Swedes are coming. The Swedes are coming.  🤗

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Good post.. I didn't think about him going straight to NHL after next season in ncaa 

I wouldn't rush him though. Let him over ripen. Give him some AHL time then bring him up.  

I'd prefer to take that approach with most contracts tbh

5 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Agree with the top paragraph.

I used to think like that in regards to ELC's as a fantasy GM.

Then when I was lucky enough to get a very knowledgeable member as my AGM he pointed out that signing players to their ELC's in the first couple of years is good, especially if they are not playing in the NHL.

By the time they get there, their ELC will have run out in a year, maybe two and very probably they haven't made a huge impact, so you can sign them to a cheaper bridge deal, that takes you closer until you have to give them that longer, higher paying contract that takes them into their UFA years.

If they have proved they have earned it, playing that year maybe two longer on a bridge deal.

Good for the player in a way to, showing them you are committing to them early.

I get what you're saying, but I was thinking more about the OEL hit/Hughes expiry timeline

Having the first year of his ELC be 25-26 takes it through the worst two years of the OEL buyout and leaves him as a pending RFA with one buyout season remaining

He'd also be a pending RFA the same offseason Hughes is a pending UFA, whether that turns out to be a good thing or not is anyone's guess but it'd have him starting his second deal as Hughes begins what'd probably be his final deal

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Same with Lekkerimäki. I think he makes it next season out of training camp. D-Petey will play next season in Abby and then play in the NHL in 2025/2026. D-Petey and Willander will make an incredible defensive pairing. 

Höglander   Pettersson   Lekkerimäki

Pettersson   Willander 

The Swedes are coming. The Swedes are coming.  🤗

If we can keep Lindy it will be amazing.

Think of releasing Petey and Lekkerimäki with Lindy as the C.

On the PP with Willander and Hogz.

If so we can go with two amasing PP lines. 

• Tank 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

If we can keep Lindy it will be amazing.

Think of releasing Petey and Lekkerimäki with Lindy as the C.

On the PP with Willander and Hogz.

If so we can go with two amasing PP lines. 

I’d love to keep Lindholm. Hope we can re-sign him to a reasonable contract. He is the best 3C in the NHL and can easily play as a 2C. So much flexibility. 

Don’t forget about Victor Alriksson as well. He is going to be a beast at 6’6”. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2