Tom Willander | D

Fanuck

4 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

100% right. Now they have to be patient and let him get stronger and get more experience playing against men. As much as I'd like to see him in Vancouver, he should probably do two seasons at Boston. No need to throw a 19 year-old defenceman into the deep end of the pool just yet.

Agree fully. Trust PA/JR to do the right thing with the young ones. 
Pens used to let them mature until they were ready. Hopefully that continues here. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, JamesB said:

I think @aGENT is right about trade values. Part of it is supply and demand. Another factor is that a good 2nd pair RD typically plays more minutes than a good 1st line winger.

The two-year time horizon would be the natural expectation for a #11 pick picked in a good draft year, although it could easily turn out to be just one year or even three years.

As for Benson vs. Willander, I personally was surprised that Benson was there at 11 and I would have taken him. But Willander is a very good pick as well and I am happy with the pick and I would guess they have similar value in the trade market right now, although maybe Willander would be slightly favored.  And, with typical "endowment effect" bias, I now like Willander better.

I like Willander much better than I liked Juolevi, not just relative to where they were picked, but in absolute terms. One problem with Juolevi that bothered me from the beginning was that he did not have a "separating skill". He was on a great junior team and a great WJC team and that made him look (to Benning) like he was better than he really was. Willander's skating is a separating skill and he is strong in other dimensions as well.

After the draft I was so steamed we passed on puke boy. However I decided to give Juolevi a chance and watched some of the game tape provided by cdc fans. I was absolutely appalled at his defensive ability. He couldn't cover players in front of the net in any fashion. In fact he would wait until the opportune time where he could get lost in the play and then just simply abandon his mark and leave him wide open out front. I couldn't believe how awful he was at it.

16 hours ago, eeeeeeeeergh said:

i hope so, being wrong on this would make me incredibly happy

ill go ahead and shame myself publicly if we get a #1 D-man out of willander

Jeez, take it easy, I don’t know if I could handle seeing someone publicly shame themselves… what did you have in mind?

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, eeeeeeeeergh said:

i couldnt hide my anger during the draft

ive loved what jr/pa have done but this is the one decision i see as unforgiveable

bensons gonna be an elite 1st liner and we'll watch wondering what could have been

I actually made a case against Benson last draft and not because of anything more than his line mates.

Buffalo can insulate him based on having two former 1st overall players in Dahlin and Powers.  They have drafted in the top 10 almost exclusively for a decade and more and have the forwards to insulate him and develop him in a fashion that works. 

We though, we would almost have to put him on the starting line up because we need a win.  He's a local boy.  HUGE pressure and the sad fact is drafting him meant we'd be able to do neither because of the insane amount of redundant players we have.  meaning he'd be doing the benning special or the Vancouver special in which players we draft now ride the pine or get limited minutes.   Benson as a 3rd or 4th line player is not what he would need.  Not what he is.  

He may VERY well turn out to be a dynamo but also might be another Garland and we'd never have had the time or ability to help him become the player he could be.  That and the pressures of playing this Vancouver market where it's success or bust in the first 3 shifts would be mentally draining on the poor kid

• Like 2

On 10/16/2023 at 7:36 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Doesn't NCAA have like a 34 game schedule?

Could you imagine if he looks so good this year. He goes pro and gets games in with the big club at the end of the season.

All depends on how he looks in the NCAA…but if he dominates then why not. Could even have been the plan all along with him. Savvy piece of work if it does work out that way.

I really want to see him and Hughes together sooner rather than later (if it’s appropriate for his development of course)

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Could you imagine if he looks so good this year. He goes pro and gets games in with the big club at the end of the season.

All depends on how he looks in the NCAA…but if he dominates then why not. Could even have been the plan all along with him. Savvy piece of work if it does work out that way.

I really want to see him and Hughes together sooner rather than later (if it’s appropriate for his development of course)

Didn't his college coach say that he only expected to have TW for one year because he is expected to turn pro at the end of the year?

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Didn't his college coach say that he only expected to have TW for one year because he is expected to turn pro at the end of the year?

I don’t know. But makes a lot of sense that this is all pre planned out. I do remember it being brought up that they didn’t want him stuck in the SHL for 2-3 seasons. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yup. The coach was interviewed on a local sports’ show and said he (pretty much) expected Willander to be on the Canucks next season. A year in college hockey is an excellent way to adjust to our rinks and type of play. IMHAO Willander is on our club during the 2024 playoffs. 

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup. The coach was interviewed on a local sports’ show and said he (pretty much) expected Willander to be on the Canucks next season. A year in college hockey is an excellent way to adjust to our rinks and type of play. IMHAO Willander is on our club during the 2024 playoffs. 

Hughes was drafted in 2018, played 32 games with Michigan and had 33 points.  Then signed with the Canucks in the Spring of 2019 and played 5 games and had 3 points.  I can see the same thing happening with Willander.  If he has between 35-40 points this year he will most likely sign his ELC with Vancouver in March...