Tom Willander | D

Fanuck

16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would go:

Pettersson    Willander 

They need to prepare these guys for when they play together in Vancouver. 

🥹

Both are very responsible defensively, would be in Sweden's best interest to split them up to cover for smaller offense guys like ASP. Would be a fun pairing to watch though so hope you are right.    

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just took a look at Willander’s stats and his team leading +12 is so impressive. 

The average play on his team is +4, and the next closest player to him is +8. 

Lane Hutson has put insane offensive numbers, but he’s rocking a -2. Although he is their top defencemand so he’s likely had some tougher matchups than Willander. 

I know that +/- only tells part of the story and that it’s not a perfect stat, but it is still indicative of one’s overall game.

Having a smooth skating, RHD with a solid D game, high hockey IQ, who oozes leadership and who can chip in some points is so exciting to me. 

• ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, Willander the Great said:

Lane Hutson has put insane offensive numbers, but he’s rocking a -2. Although he is their top defencemand so he’s likely had some tougher matchups than Willander. 

is this the case?  Hutson has had tougher match ups?  When Willander makes it to this level, I won't expect him to be a major offensive contributor but eventually be our best shut down defenseman a la Tanev with more offensive instinct and a little more aggressive on the puck.

Edited by Hogs and Podz
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

is this the case?  Hutson has had tougher match ups?  When Willander makes it to this level, I won't expect him to be a major offensive contributor but eventually be our best shut down defenseman a la Tanev with more offensive instinct and a little more aggressive on the puck.

Yeah to tell the truth, I’m just assuming that with Lane Hutson being their number 1 d man that he’s seen a bit tougher match ups. But I could very well be wrong about that. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

You nailed it, and this is what fans need to remember. Willander wasn't drafted to challenge Quinn Hughes point totals, he was drafted because we need guys who know how to suppress opposition chances. Even with our strong start point wise, I still view this as our biggest weakness. We still rely on Demko and DeSmith too much to come up with big saves, far too often during games. We need to reduce high percentage chances in our own zone by at least 25% to really be successful in the playoffs, and that's what this kid was drafted to do.

It's kind of a given that any team wanting success for a chance at Lord Stanley requires goaltending of the highest magnitude. Canuck teams have always relied on such; King Richard, Captain Kirk and Bobby Luuuuuuuuuoooooo. 

Not to bring up any bad memories, but during the WCE era, had we a high end goalie, that Marcus Naslund captained team would've gone further. Unfortunately that whole 'Goalie Graveyard' era was a major part of the non success our team experienced during those times.

Flash forward to now and it still looks like we greatly depend on stellar goaltending. Love Demmer. He's the one filling the role we need to run for Lord Stanley. But regarding Petey?

I don't know his thoughts and such regarding this contract year. One can only speculate. Dude is definitely a special player for us, and one we've been needing since the Sedin twin prime years. Taking one for the team contractually might very well be a scenario he considers. I don't think however that he's gonna shirk on that regard in keeping with his worth to this franchise and any other team joining for him.

Could the Twins be a factor in Petey putting team first over mega bucks? Maybe a little. but I'm guessing, not a lot. Who knows. Let's just get 'er done!

Willander looked pretty good in that college game I watched a while ago on..TSN.My guess is he'll be in Boston for another year, which ain't a bad thing. Growth in the college ranks can be just as good as the AHL. Nothing but good will come to that for Willander. It's a no brainer that a player of this ilk is overdue for our roster.

Go Canuck Go!!!!!

EDIT: Regarding the underlined bolded part. Apologies. I prolly meant to post that in another thread. Major brainfart. I'm old. I do things like this more often these days. Cheers.

Edited by Sativika
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 12/17/2023 at 8:57 AM, Willander the Great said:

I just took a look at Willander’s stats and his team leading +12 is so impressive. 

The average play on his team is +4, and the next closest player to him is +8. 

I know that +/- only tells part of the story and that it’s not a perfect stat, but it is still indicative of one’s overall game.

Having a smooth skating, RHD with a solid D game, high hockey IQ, who oozes leadership and who can chip in some points is so exciting to me. 

Hutson is an offensive D who probably struggled with the defensive game.  At the moment, he and Greene are the only

players on the BU team with a minus (Lane -3 and Greene -5), while Willander has the best rating at +13.

Having a peak at Lane's draft year, it is surprising to see that he is surrounded by players that ended up being

in the 1st round; at least 3 in the top 6.  It's hard to understand why a player with such impressive offensive #s

could be drafted #62 overall; just 4 picks before the 3rd round.

My guess is that there are a couple of reasons for his low pick at the draft. 

1. His small stature - 5.9 @ 148lb (that's awful small for a dman).'

2. He is an offensive dman that struggles with the defensive aspect of the game.

At face value, Lane's #s appear to be better than Quinn's, but a closer look shows that Hughes was just 16 when

played on the US Team and the best offensive player on his college team was William Lockwood.

There's a reason why Quinn was picked in the top 10 in his draft and Lane was in the bottom of the 2nd in

his draft.

If all things go as we are hoping, Willander is going to be a great addition to our team and he'll be

signed for a good many years to come.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

This is so nice.

Willander is even better than Hronek.  He will be a top pairing Dman in the NHL.  Most likely he will be with Hughes in 2-3 years and Hronek will anchor our second pairing.  

Imagine Hughes and Willander on the ice at the same time.  The skating.  The outlet passes.  Oh my...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Willander is even better than Hronek.  He will be a top pairing Dman in the NHL.  Most likely he will be with Hughes in 2-3 years and Hronek will anchor our second pairing.  

Imagine Hughes and Willander on the ice at the same time.  The skating.  The outlet passes.  Oh my...

If he is anywhere near as good as Hronek we are one blessed franchise! We need to have him on his ELC during the tough OEL years. I'd like to see him go back to college next season. Then have him come out and  step right into a top 4 role. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

If he is anywhere near as good as Hronek we are one blessed franchise! We need to have him on his ELC during the tough OEL years. I'd like to see him go back to college next season. Then have him come out and  step right into a top 4 role. 

I agree.  One more year of college and then he can jump right into the NHL.  Maybe 3rd pairing to start but he will definitely be on the 2nd pairing at some point in his first season.  Then the following year he will be Quinn's partner.  For the next decade.  They could be the best 1-2 punch in the NHL...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  One more year of college and then he can jump right into the NHL.  Maybe 3rd pairing to start but he will definitely be on the 2nd pairing at some point in his first season.  Then the following year he will be Quinn's partner.  For the next decade.  They could be the best 1-2 punch in the NHL...

Next year in college and then onto our playoff roster right after his season ends in spring of 2025?  

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Definitely has that potential. Not sure if he has as much offensive upside as Hronek, but he is an awesome prospect. Would really complement someone like Hughes.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Definitely has that potential. Not sure if he has as much offensive upside as Hronek, but he is an awesome prospect. Would really complement someone like Hughes.

Hronek didn't really do much offensively until he was paired with Hughes.  Willander will be the same.  You put him with Hughes and he will get lots of assists, similar to Hronek.  Willander has an all world break out pass, and he skates like Bobby Orr.  He could be a Cale Makar light...

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hronek didn't really do much offensively until he was paired with Hughes.  Willander will be the same.  You put him with Hughes and he will get lots of assists, similar to Hronek.  Willander has an all world break out pass, and he skates like Bobby Orr.  He could be a Cale Makar light...

What I like about the new management is their willingness to let players develop. Their assessment of players as been upper end. Where Willander plays next year will be well thought out. 

• Cheers 4

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Very true....

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hronek has always been more of an offensive dman than defensive.  He had great production while playing in

Detroit, but he struggled with his defensive game during his first few seasons.  He has a great physical presence

on the ice and can play a huge number of minutes.  Ideally, Willander can play his defensive game alongside

Quinn, which gives the team a better option with Hronek moving to the 2nd pairing.  I would hope that by that

time, the Nucks will have a more defensive 2nd LD to balance the pairing.  Unfortunately, it will be a while

before Willander is playing 1st pairing minutes in the NHL. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think Willander was one of those "plan for the future" type picks that every good team needs. Willander will be a #1 RD.

It probably confused some when they passed on Benson, Yager and a couple of the big wingers (Wood and Honzek). High end RDs don't grow on trees and they're very expensive to try and acquire. 

Hughes - Willander will one day be considered one of the best D duos in NHL history. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Had to post again. All game I was thinking, how did this guy switch to D like 2-3 years ago and be this competent in his own end already?

He looked so mature making the right plays throughout the game. One minor mistake in 60 mins. Threw a hard and perfect outlet pass that left the commentators and myself in just jaw dropping awe. A really solid performance. 

Guy must take easily to coaching which makes me excited for him to get time with Foote and Gonchar and the development staff once he's here. 

I heard he is playing on the left side. Is that true?  Apparently Sweden only took two LD to the tournament and one of them is D-Petey.