Tom Willander | D

Fanuck

1 hour ago, DeltaSwede said:

Willander is playing his off side again in this game but he's been fantastic so far. Playing simple, calm and showing finesse/skill when he's got the puck. I find him to be very mature in his game. My pulse goes down when he's got the puck on his stick because you know he'll make the right decision successfully 99% of the time. 

Might be coaching, pretty sure they're playing a zone defense on the PK, but I've caught him sort of losing track of his guy a couple times. Not sure if that's on him or him just following instructions. EP2.0 was doing the same.. may be zone. 

I think it's a vote of confidence from the Swedish coaches to play him on the left. Swedens got too many righties for the first time in their history. He's being trusted to be the one to play in that uncomfortable spot. From a Canucks perspective though, I'd have wanted him to be on his strong side and get the green light to be more offensive. On this team his role is more defensive. 

I'd put money on a lot of people saying that Willander would be the unsung hero of this Swedish team at the end of this tournament. 

Willander plays a very similar game to Hronek. An understated star. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Willander plays a very similar game to Hronek. An understated star. 

How do you figure? Willander is a much better skater and defensively focused while Hronek relies on being offensively smarter than everyone else out there. Pretty different styes I would say.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

How do you figure? Willander is a much better skater and defensively focused while Hronek relies on being offensively smarter than everyone else out there. Pretty different styes I would say.

Hronek is a far better player without the puck than you recognize. And he’s also a great skater and puck mover. Hronek is a top 10 D man in the NHL. Willander is very similar in his game. Smart defensively, and a fantastic puck mover. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

you are correct man.

He actually had over 19 mins Ice time and one of two guys who were plus 2. Which means he is doing the hard work, the 5 on 5 work and quietly being good and I have seen both Quinn and Heronik make bigger mistakes. However, this is the first big spotlight for him. I expect he will notch up as he gets team synergy and we will see some nice stuff, and maybe even some mistakes. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hronek is a far better player without the puck than you recognize. And he’s also a great skater and puck mover. Hronek is a top 10 D man in the NHL. Willander is very similar in his game. Smart defensively, and a fantastic puck mover. 

too early in the day for empties eh?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's kind of hard to tell when he and Quinn are out there together loading up a line since they usually have the puck. I have seen Hronek make a number of poor plays defensively, he's not flawless, although he is solid for the most part. Had a couple rough games during our win one lose one streak.

I think it's kind of tough to compare considering Willander's path to where he is has been quite different than Hronek's. From playing forward and converting to D 2 years ago, to shooting up the draft board, to now playing college on a stacked Boston U team vs the OHL, and then again being a Canuck vs a Redwing. Unlike Hronek, who spent 2 years in Grand Rapids and some time back in Czech, I think Willander will probably be close to jumping right onto the Canucks in another year's time.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's kind of hard to tell when he and Quinn are out there together loading up a line since they usually have the puck. I have seen Hronek make a number of poor plays defensively, he's not flawless, although he is solid for the most part. Had a couple rough games during our win one lose one streak.

I think it's kind of tough to compare considering Willander's path to where he is has been quite different than Hronek's. From playing forward and converting to D 2 years ago, to shooting up the draft board, to now playing college on a stacked Boston U team vs the OHL, and then again being a Canuck vs a Redwing. Unlike Hronek, who spent 2 years in Grand Rapids and some time back in Czech, I think Willander will probably be close to jumping right onto the Canucks in another year's time.

That is pretty optimistic. 

D-Petey looks ready. but more ready that Wolanin or Woo? These guys all got a long hard fight ahead. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

D-Petey looks ready. but more ready that Wolanin or Woo? These guys all got a long hard fight ahead. 

Yeah I suppose, it's another year and a half of hockey though for an 11th overall pick. This year he should be learning the ropes and getting acclimated, but next year he should be numeroo uno. Maybe he plays a year in Abbottsford but obviously we have big plans for him so he should be given every chance to make the team once he goes pro.

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Hronek is a top 10 D man, he's not understated, no? You're comparing apples and oranges. Just because players are effective in their positions as a D man, it doesn't mean the players will have identical or similar success levels.

4 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

If Hronek is a top 10 D man, he's not understated, no? You're comparing apples and oranges. Just because players are effective in their positions as a D man, it doesn't mean the players will have identical or similar success levels.

Hronek is clearly a top 10 D man in the nhl. Willander has very similar skills, skating, smarts, and compete. No reason why he couldn’t develop into as fabulous a player as Hronek. 

19 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Wolanin is 28yrs now and has had many chances at the NHL; just can't seem to make it stick.

Maybe Woo will get his turn, as he continues to improve his game.  He's yet to get a

chance in the NHL, so perhaps he will get a call-up in the future.

I think D-Petey might play another year in Sweden, if he can make the jump to the SweHL;

if not, I hope he joins the Abby C's.

I wouldn't be surprised if Willander stay with his college team and like Brock, make his

move to Vancouver (Abby or Van ist TBA).

So yeah, we'll probably have to wait another couple of seasons to see those to join the big

club.  I think it's probable that both players will have NHL careers.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Willander is playing his off side again in this game but he's been fantastic so far. Playing simple, calm and showing finesse/skill when he's got the puck. I find him to be very mature in his game. My pulse goes down when he's got the puck on his stick because you know he'll make the right decision successfully 99% of the time. 

Might be coaching, pretty sure they're playing a zone defense on the PK, but I've caught him sort of losing track of his guy a couple times. Not sure if that's on him or him just following instructions. EP2.0 was doing the same.. may be zone. 

I think it's a vote of confidence from the Swedish coaches to play him on the left. Swedens got too many righties for the first time in their history. He's being trusted to be the one to play in that uncomfortable spot. From a Canucks perspective though, I'd have wanted him to be on his strong side and get the green light to be more offensive. On this team his role is more defensive. 

I'd put money on a lot of people saying that Willander would be the unsung hero of this Swedish team at the end of this tournament. 

He definitely did not play "fantastic".  He didn't play good and he didn't play bad.......he wasn't noticeable either way, which isn't necessarily a bad thing 

1 hour ago, Tusk said:

I think suggesting D-Petey is ready is just as optimistic.   He couldn't get minutes in the SHL and went down to the Allsvenskan to get time.  Filip Johansson was a top d-man in the SHL hast season and isn't even the best D in Abbotsford. 

I love DPetey but it will be miraculous if he is in the NHL next year.  I will be thrilled if it happens though.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

so were you. 

I'm not doing anything different.  When the team of players play poorly, I say so.  When I feel the team should move in another direction, I say so.  

I don't ridicule people for having different opinions, nor do I try to shout those people down when they do.

For some of you, the move to this platform has changed how you post and how you treat other posters, of which you are one.  You used to have good points and could weigh people's opinions.......now you just whine incessantly when other people have opinions that differ from yours

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DixonWard said:

I think suggesting D-Petey is ready is just as optimistic.   He couldn't get minutes in the SHL and went down to the Allsvenskan to get time.  Filip Johansson was a top d-man in the SHL hast season and isn't even the best D in Abbotsford. 

I love DPetey but it will be miraculous if he is in the NHL next year.  I will be thrilled if it happens though.

I don't think he's NHL ready, but I'd live to see him in NA soon, he's a legit NHL prospect, imo