Tom Willander | D

Fanuck

3 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Thought he had a solid game today. Good skater, closes gaps quick, lays the body efficiently, doesn’t get beat wide, and made some solid outlet passes. Clearly gets put out there to play no nonsense hockey and I thought he did a solid job of it. Not much to complain about. 

I thought he was ok, but didn't do a whole lot.  Hrs still a pretty young player on a team of veteran players, so it stands to reason that he won't get a lot of ice time or responsibility.  Next year will be his big year at this tourney.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not doing anything different.  When the team of players play poorly, I say so.  When I feel the team should move in another direction, I say so.  

I don't ridicule people for having different opinions, nor do I try to shout those people down when they do.

For some of you, the move to this platform has changed how you post and how you treat other posters, of which you are one.  You used to have good points and could weigh people's opinions.......now you just whine incessantly when other people have opinions that differ from yours

incessantly? 😂

I watch your posts for things that won't happen. Like your take on Boeser. It pleases me that you're low on Willander, means he'll win a Norris. 

• Haha 3
  • ThereItIs 1

14 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Wolanin is 28yrs now and has had many chances at the NHL; just can't seem to make it stick.

Maybe Woo will get his turn, as he continues to improve his game.  He's yet to get a

chance in the NHL, so perhaps he will get a call-up in the future.

I think D-Petey might play another year in Sweden, if he can make the jump to the SweHL;

if not, I hope he joins the Abby C's.

I wouldn't be surprised if Willander stay with his college team and like Brock, make his

move to Vancouver (Abby or Van ist TBA).

So yeah, we'll probably have to wait another couple of seasons to see those to join the big

club.  I think it's probable that both players will have NHL careers.

I was disappointed when D-Petey did not stick in the SHL. I can understand why they lent him out as TOI has more value than sitting in the bench. I can see him playing another year in Sweden in the SHL. A kid that big playing on the Canucks would be a sight to see. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Another game, another solid performance by Willander. He's playing his part and doing it really well. Great decision making, puck control and we got to see some flashes of his elusive skating. 

Would you say he looks more confident and comfortable on the left side compared to the last game?

On 12/26/2023 at 3:37 PM, stawns said:

Wasn't overly impressed with his game today, but he wasn't bad either.......just invisible 

He's not a very flashy player. He's just a reliable two way defenseman (currently a stay at home type). Not really known for offense (though he admits he'll work on this area and that there's room to grow here), but his defensive game doesn't have any question marks. He's not a 'sexy' pick like Hughes. In many respects, he'll be like Woo, except Woo probably has a slight physical edge. Woo needs to make the NHL at some point though. Meanwhile, Willander looks like he'll be the fail safe in case Woo doesn't make it.

This looks pretty damn good though for what he's done.

image.png

Edited by PureQuickness
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Fair enough... That's really impressive to me.  Being able to adjust so quickly and be effective.  How was his TOI and +/- in comparison to other d on the team?

dEP and Letterkenny looked like NHL players. Villanger not there yet, although he was safe and did his job. But no big hits, no risks

14 minutes ago, Tusk said:

dEP and Letterkenny looked like NHL players. Villanger not there yet, although he was safe and did his job. But no big hits, no risks

Willander gets around so effortlessly. He's strong. The smarts seem to be there as he's not chasing play. Quite the contrast from Juolevi at the World Juniors and live when I saw him play in Penticton. Juolevi looked and played like a pale slug when I watched him. Willander is young and for a player who just switched to D a few years back, looks to have some tools. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Willander gets around so effortlessly. He's strong. The smarts seem to be there as he's not chasing play. Quite the contrast from Juolevi at the World Juniors and live when I saw him play in Penticton. Juolevi looked and played like a pale slug when I watched him. Willander is young and for a player who just switched to D a few years back, looks to have some tools. 

Maybe at a junior level. But he aint no Hughes.

I think dEP showed alot more size and confidence on the puck the whole game. Letterkenny was passing too much.

Against Canada, we will see the best of everyone and I predict Letterkenny gets at least 2 goals, and villinger gets at least a -2.

9 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Weak.... its almost like the only time Villanger even did something and someone hypes it as the best play of the day

I'm not sure what you expect from Will. He was never drafted to be flashy, that's not his game, at least not yet. He's a good skating steady righty. Like a Cernak. Does Cernak stand out as flashy?

• Cheers 1