Tom Willander | D

Fanuck

14 hours ago, Dizzle said:

we saw incredibly little of OJ at the pro level, but I remember him making some real nice break out passes (even by nhl standards) when he did play. 

OJ was nowhere near the skater Willander is. But ya, OJ was very good at reading the play and passing. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

I'm honestly tired of the rewriting of history of Juolevi. Some people now say that Juolevi was a terrible, unjustified pick at 5th, while conveniently ignoring the mock drafts that ALL had him top 10.

He skyrocketed after the WJC and I was terrified we would pick him. Goes to show how the WJC can really skew draft pick value. 

I was on the trade down boat - I had Chychrun, Sergachev and McAvoy ahead of Juolevi and thought with Tkachuk falling to 6 a team like Ottawa might have swapped with us to recoup a 2nd.

someone leaked a picture of the Canucks draft list and DeBrinct was very high (around mid first round) which makes sense given Brackett. 

There was a lot of controversy in the 2016 draft but if not for that controversy we would have picked Glass over EP40 in 2017

1 hour ago, Canucklehead44 said:

He skyrocketed after the WJC and I was terrified we would pick him. Goes to show how the WJC can really skew draft pick value. 

I was on the trade down boat - I had Chychrun, Sergachev and McAvoy ahead of Juolevi and thought with Tkachuk falling to 6 a team like Ottawa might have swapped with us to recoup a 2nd.

someone leaked a picture of the Canucks draft list and DeBrinct was very high (around mid first round) which makes sense given Brackett. 

There was a lot of controversy in the 2016 draft but if not for that controversy we would have picked Glass over EP40 in 2017

No, it's amazing how injuries can skew a persons perception of a career.  OJ was a top dman on the top team in the OHL before going to Europe to start his pro career where injuries derailed what would have likely been a solid career

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

No, it's amazing how injuries can skew a persons perception of a career.  OJ was a top dman on the top team in the OHL before going to Europe to start his pro career where injuries derailed what would have likely been a solid career

OJ did have injuries. But he lacked the internal toughness to play in the nhl. His head wasn’t in it. Really hopes for the guy, as we all did. But seeing him lying on the ice during that tough skate and then rolling over, while his teammates told him to get up was what cooked him for me. Lack of mental toughness. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OJ did have injuries. But he lacked the internal toughness to play in the nhl. His head wasn’t in it. Really hopes for the guy, as we all did. But seeing him lying on the ice during that tough skate and then rolling over, while his teammates told him to get up was what cooked him for me. Lack of mental toughness. 

Think of Covid. His lungs was probably more affected than anyone knew at the time.

Just a 5 percent decline of the oxygene coming to the muscles is enough to cause him choking the bag skate.

By the way, even the Sedins talked about not giving it all doing the bag skate so it’s just a fluff anyway and OJ took it seriously.

And the fans ate him alive, insane…

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, LillStrimma said:

Think of Covid. His lungs was probably more affected than anyone knew at the time.

Just a 5 percent decline of the oxygene coming to the muscles is enough to cause him choking the bag skate.

By the way, even the Sedins talked about not giving it all doing the bag skate so it’s just a fluff anyway and OJ took it seriously.

OJ was the slowest in that skate. He wasn’t sick. He was just lacking mental toughness. His behaviour was very strange. Almost like something a child would do to get attention. Like I said before, that was the moment that cooked him for old Alf. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OJ was the slowest in that skate. He wasn’t sick. He was just lacking mental toughness. His behaviour was very strange. Almost like something a child would do to get attention. Like I said before, that was the moment that cooked him for old Alf. 

I go for Covid as the allevols in the lungs get affected on some people. It fits what happened.

I just find it strange to get something out of a bag skate the Sedins said they cheated on themselves.

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's all bullshit and you know it.  Tye facts are that OJ had both knee and back surgeries before he came to play pro in North America.  Up until his back injury, his development was coming along nicely in Finland.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Canucklehead44 said:

Any chance you have a link or source for that leaked draft list? I'd like to check it out if possible.

4 hours ago, R3aL said:

Haha Willander thread is the OJ thread

we should make the Raty one the Cody Hodgson one 

and lekkeriakmakajajakaiaj the Jensen thread 

etc 

Hey! leave Jensen out of it!!!  He's going to be great... You'll see.  He's got Danish/Canadian blood... Due to genetics, they're considered 'late bloomers'.  So he'll be hitting his prime playing years in his 40's (coming soon!) He's not a scrub... Don't want no scrub.  Not like those other scrubs you mentioned.

Edited by Hogs and Podz
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Starting to get annoyed with the Swedish media. Before the tournament they were hyping ASP and he's been terrible. He's been one of the worst defenders on the team and they keep trying to say how he's growing into things. He's not. A tournament doesn't define a player but he's been bad in all facets. 

Willander with another high level shift. He's getting better and better. Willander and Lindstein have been the best pairing this tournament. 

I wouldn’t say that ASP has been “terrible”. But clearly, unless he has the puck on his stick he’s not impacting the game in an overly positive way. As for Willander, looks to me that he might now be part of the top PK D-pair. The kid just has an incredible all-around game. 

Another minus for E. Petterson as the Finns tie it up. Not a great game for him.

19 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Starting to get annoyed with the Swedish media. Before the tournament they were hyping ASP and he's been terrible. He's been one of the worst defenders on the team and they keep trying to say how he's growing into things. He's not. A tournament doesn't define a player but he's been bad in all facets. 

Willander with another high level shift. He's getting better and better. Willander and Lindstein have been the best pairing this tournament. 

personally I'm happy if the media isn't pumping Willanders tires. Just let him continue to have a strong showing and build confidence. Hopefully Sweden takes it all and he gets that experience too. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 12/30/2023 at 11:33 AM, PureQuickness said:

I'm honestly tired of the rewriting of history of Juolevi. Some people now say that Juolevi was a terrible, unjustified pick at 5th, while conveniently ignoring the mock drafts that ALL had him top 10.

He was a top 10 rated pick so I have no problem with his rating. Absolutely horrible pick with Tkachuk on the board though. With that said I went and watched a bunch of footage on him after the pick. I quickly quit due to 🤢 ... I honestly could not believe how bad he was at defence. This guy couldn't cover his man in front of the net or pick up his coverage in his own end if his life depended on it. He was actually one of those defenders who purposely doesn't cover the most dangerous man in front of the net. He would just wander off all the time and cover some other player in the corner and then look around at his partner when they got scored on as if, "why weren't you covering the guy I was just standing by and skated away from". Just freaking atrocious.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

ASP is Adam Boqvist 2.0. He may not even be a regular at the NHL level. He doesn’t know how to play defence. 

Meanwhile, Tom VVillander will become the next Hampus Lindholm who will partner Hughes for a decade or more. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Did Miller ever reveal what he said to him? I wonder if were they telling him to get up or just giving him encouragement.

19 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

I know all the fans were poking fun at him but I didn't see the big deal. For anyone that's ever done suicides or fitness training of that sort it's not easy. If you go balls out it can easily leave you feeling like passing out. It's also not a game situation so there really is no penalty or cause for concern about what you do while you're waiting for the next drill. Stand up, sit down, lay down, lean on the net. Whatever floats your boat. It's not like he sat out the next segment or anything. I used to do the same thing just to show I was putting in 110%. I also got more energy back for the next drill.

I would rather have a player putting it all on the line and being completely gassed rather than all the guys that finished after him and took it easy.

• Cheers 4