Tom Willander | D

Fanuck

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup, when he asks for more money we will have to trade him and start again.

How many D can we have (and be a winning club with a balanced roster) that make over 7 per? If Willander is on the club 2025/2026 then he’s on his elc until three years after that, no? 

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

How many D can we have (and be a winning club with a balanced roster) that make over 7 per? If Willander is on the club 2025/2026 then he’s on his elc until three years after that, no? 

So basically even if Hronek signs for 8 years, Wilander is ELC and controlled RFA that whole time or damn close to it.  

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'd expect him to get games in the 2024/25 season; depending on the NHL and NCAA schedule, it might be enough to burn the first year off his deal (Hughes and Boeser both did that). But that still lines us up to have his ELC expire when the OEL buyout penalty drops from 4.76 down to 2.1. Cap is expected to rise a solid 4 mil per year the next two years too, with smaller rises the following two years. We'd be looking at a cap a little under 100M in 27/28 when he needs a new contract. Giving him 8+ (if he is that good at the NHL level), shouldn't be an issue, even if Hronek is at ~7.5. 

We currently spend 35.8% of our cap on our 8 roster defencemen. With Hughes at (complete guess) 14 mil, Willander at 8 and Hronek at 7.5, that's 29.5% for the top 3 (with a 100m cap). It might be a little tight to fill out the bottom pair, you'd need to have a solid #6 on a near league mimimun deal like we do now with Juulsen. But it's definitely doable.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 1

On 3/29/2024 at 8:49 AM, Alflives said:

Willander is so good. He’s a lot like Hronek. 

Much different than Hronek imo. Right now his offensive game is prob his least developed part. 

I think going back to BU is the right move. With Lane Hutson moving on he'll get the opportunity to be the #1 OFD.

He does flash his offensive game, from what I've seen he likes to jump into holes in the Ozone & get involved, his shot and puck control is good, but alot times he's not out in the key moments or his teammates don't find him. Particularly when he's on with Hutson, Lane will puck-hog it & doesn't always find Tom when he is getting himself in a shooting area.

• Cheers 1

On 4/1/2024 at 3:04 PM, Bob Long said:

one more year marinating in college and then give him at shot at the following training camp to make the team. 

Yeah, if his development continues, he'll dominate college next year and then jump into 17min nights with the Canucks the year after.

• MillerTime 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, if his development continues, he'll dominate college next year and then jump into 17min nights with the Canucks the year after.

The exact route of guys like Owen Power and Jake Sanderson (who I've always maintained is Willander's closest comparable) - who immediately earned long-term deals at 8 million plus...

• Upvote 1

On 4/2/2024 at 9:04 AM, Bob Long said:

one more year marinating in college and then give him at shot at the following training camp to make the team. 

Also a year where he starts to get PP time; as Lane Hutson graduates? It seems inevitable!

Not that he will steal the PP from Quinn Hughes, or even Filip Hronek.  Some offensive reps regardless? Will absolutely be great for his development!

• ThereItIs 1

15 hours ago, HKSR said:

Lack of respect for Willander is evident already by the Toronto Sports Network:

https://www.tsn.ca/ncaa/ten-players-to-watch-in-the-ncaa-men-s-frozen-four-on-tsn-1.2102051

Not a single mention of him in the article. 

I think Canuck fans have to realize that Toronto media view the Canucks as competition. Their business plan is pretty obvious in all their major league sports. Drive the clicks to their franchises. Their worst dream is that the Laffers lose in the 1st Round and either the Canucks or Oilers go deep. To a degree they defer to the Oilers because they have won Cups. Vancouver has never won a CUP but made Finals 3X since 1982. The Laffers have never been close in that time frame. If the Canucks go deep it undermines the credibility of the Laffers but also the media that shamelessly promote them. 

The media in TO is already cacking as Bell considers off loading some of their broadcasting to Amazon. 😂

• ThereItIs 4

Based on the TSN article they focused on guys with high point totals and 2 draft eligible guys.  I'm ok with them not hyping Willander and him coming in as soon as next year's playoff run and being a key Canuck moving forward.

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

23 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I think Canuck fans have to realize that Toronto media view the Canucks as competition. Their business plan is pretty obvious in all their major league sports. Drive the clicks to their franchises. Their worst dream is that the Laffers lose in the 1st Round and either the Canucks or Oilers go deep. To a degree they defer to the Oilers because they have won Cups. Vancouver has never won a CUP but made Finals 3X since 1982. The Laffers have never been close in that time frame. If the Canucks go deep it undermines the credibility of the Laffers but also the media that shamelessly promote them. 

The media in TO is already cacking as Bell considers off loading some of their broadcasting to Amazon. 😂

Isn't the war room for game call reviews in TO?

With some calls taking forever to review and still get it wrong makes one wonder if reviews try hard to help not take away talk from TO team?

Ontario has 3x the population of Alberta who has 2 teams

TO does not want to share market or lose interest in it

I was a Leaf fan before the Canucks and they lost me (maybe they hold that grudge against us)?😜

On 4/11/2024 at 7:22 AM, Boudrias said:

Cmon, not you.