Tom Willander | D

Fanuck

9 hours ago, Diamonds said:

But Craig sees 3 better defensemen in the Sweden for the World Juniors? Kind of a weirdly phrased comment.

I definitely expect Willander will be on the team though.

Sounds to me like he is just saying that he expects Willander to be one of Sweden's top 4 Dmen. He does NOT actually say that there are 3 better Dmen.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Diamonds said:

But Craig sees 3 better defensemen in the Sweden for the World Juniors? Kind of a weirdly phrased comment.

I definitely expect Willander will be on the team though.

Huh? 

Button says, "My comparable for him is Charlie McAvoy, his development at BU has been significant and strong. I don't see 4 better defenseman in Sweden for the world juniors than Tom."

They words being "I don't see..." 

Meaning, he's looked upon as perhaps Sweden's best D? Or, at the very least, top 2?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Huh? 

Button says, "My comparable for him is Charlie McAvoy, his development at BU has been significant and strong. I don't see 4 better defenseman in Sweden for the world juniors than Tom."

They words being "I don't see..." 

Meaning, he's looked upon as perhaps Sweden's best D? Or, at the very least, top 2?

Meaning he sees Tom as the #4 guy, at worst.-implies he sees 3 guys better than Tom, but not 4.

But English being an awkward language, it could actually mean he thinks Tom is the #1.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Meaning he sees Tom as the #4 guy, at worst.-implies he sees 3 guys better than Tom, but not 4.

But English being an awkward language, it could actually mean he thinks Tom is the #1.

Ya that just had me really confused, especially directly after saying that his comparable is McAvoy.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Sounds to me like he is just saying that he expects Willander to be one of Sweden's top 4 Dmen. He does NOT actually say that there are 3 better Dmen.

The tournament is being held in Sweden. Button said he doesn’t think there are 4 better Dmen in Sweden. He was referring to the ENTIRE tournament, not just the Swedish team.  

Willander will literally be Sweden’s best Dman at the tournament. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Well actually now that I am re-reading that… *in* not *on* kinda sounds like Button doesnt see 4 dmen period, that are better than Willander, no matter what country. Sounds like he is one of the best dmen in the tourney.

Exactly. For some, reading comprehension is challenging, to say the least. 

That's why I said the keywords are, "I don't see 4 better D men..." 

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

So why did he pick 4 and not, say, 3 or 5??  Very odd wording to me.  Lots of attempts to translate here, but I’m still not sure if anybody got it right!

Because when one is discussing the quality of a Dman, the terms we use are generally "top pairing" or "top 4". Hence the use of the number 4.

14 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm so over the moon about us having Willander. 

He's not a flashy 'elite' type player but he's one of those high end reliable two-way D that we've needed for so long. He's an exceptional skater, he's strong, he plays aggressive but not overly aggressive to the point of mistakes, he's focused defensively, and he has good puck skills+shooting ability. 

He's going to be really good. I'm really excited. Don't know if he's ready to jump in at the end of this year or whether going back for another year is best, but I think once he signs it won't take too long for him to be a regular in the NHL.

This is the exact kind of prospect we need coming for our window, so excited about him. 

Above the points you mention, he just oozes with maturity for a 18 year old. In addition, his decision to leave Sweden for the NCAA to simply get a feel for the smaller ice is very refreshing.

As you said...very excited to have him on the team. My guess is he'll be in competition for a spot next fall.....I'd even predict he wins one!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Because when one is discussing the quality of a Dman, the terms we use are generally "top pairing" or "top 4". Hence the use of the number 4.

That still doesn't make sense.  Just saying the he should be one of Sweden's top 4 in the tourney isn't that much of a compliment. Considering he rated Willander #45 in his under-24- top prospects list, I can't see which other 3 d men from Sweden he could possibly have ranked ahead of him (or even 2).   Saying he is likely to be Sweden's #1 dman in the tourney (or #2 at worst), would be a more fitting compliment, if that's what he was trying to do.

I think it's more likely that he was saying that Willander will be in the top 4 dmen in Sweden for the tourney.

Edited by CaptainCanuck12
  • Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

I can't see which other 3 d men from Sweden he could possibly have ranked ahead of him (or even 2). 

Hedman

Dahlin

Karlsson

maybe 

Gustaffsson

Edit------ oh is this only Junior Swedes better than him?

Well that does change things, doesn't it?

Edited by Gurn

18 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Above the points you mention, he just oozes with maturity for a 18 year old. In addition, his decision to leave Sweden for the NCAA to simply get a feel for the smaller ice is very refreshing.

As you said...very excited to have him on the team. My guess is he'll be in competition for a spot next fall.....I'd even predict he wins one!

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him sign at the end of his college season, play a few games in Vancouver late in the regular season and then, depending on how he looks and on injuries, maybe some playoff games. And then make the team next season.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

That still doesn't make sense.  Just saying the he should be one of Sweden's top 4 in the tourney isn't that much of a compliment. Considering her rated Willander #45 in his under-24- top prospects list, I can't see which other 3 d men from Sweden he could possibly have ranked ahead of him (or even 2).   Saying he is likely to be Sweden's #1 dman in the tourney (or #2 at worst), would be a more fitting compliment, if that's what he was trying to do.

I think it's more likely that he was saying that Willander will be in the top 4 dmen in Sweden for the tourney.

I think he was more saying he thinks Tom will play a top 4 role for Sweden at the world juniors which is impressive for a 18 year old but not unheard of. 

Some other choices could be:

Mattias Hävelid RD

Elias Salomonsson RD

Calle Odelius LD On team last year

Axel Sandin Pellikka RD On team last year

Anton Johansson RD  (really good pick by the Red Wings)

Elias Pettersson LD On team last year

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 11/24/2023 at 9:22 AM, AnthonyG said:

Well actually now that I am re-reading that… *in* not *on* kinda sounds like Button doesnt see 4 dmen period, that are better than Willander, no matter what country. Sounds like he is one of the best dmen in the tourney.

This is how I heard it.

he’s high on Willander

• Upvote 1