Tom Willander | D

Fanuck

10 hours ago, Rypien-Punch said:

I have not watched Willander play very much, but his playing style and size for some reason reminds me of an Aaron Ekblad type of defenseman. If he becomes that then we hit another home run 

Similar but Willander skates a lot better. Willander is actually quite like Hronek. A high end right shot D who plays a complete game. He will prove to be the best D from his draft, just like Quinn Hughes has proven to be the best from his. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 11/29/2023 at 3:40 AM, R3aL said:

I’m curious if team politics with him going to NCAA and not staying in Sweden will impact his deployment and minutes with the internationals  team 

If he plays good enough they don't have a choice.

Edited by MatchesMalone
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 12/2/2023 at 6:58 PM, Jim Tim said:

Thats our Swedish McAvoy 🥰

McAvoy is an overrated defensive liability in my opinion, he’s been sheltered by having great 2 way forwards deep defensive depth and vezina calibre goaltending his whole career and this year and last playoffs he’s been exposed yet here we are people still acting like he’s a true number one guy, I’m pretty sure every time I watch the bruins he’s the reason for atleast one goal against, I see willander being more of a Devon toews or a Slavin comparison, he seems very dialed in on his positioning and I’m loving it! 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 11/24/2023 at 1:41 PM, Bure_Pavel said:

I think he was more saying he thinks Tom will play a top 4 role for Sweden at the world juniors which is impressive for a 18 year old but not unheard of. 

Some other choices could be:

Mattias Hävelid RD

Elias Salomonsson RD

Calle Odelius LD On team last year

Axel Sandin Pellikka RD On team last year

Anton Johansson RD  (really good pick by the Red Wings)

Elias Pettersson LD On team last year

I wasnt too far off below are the Dmen for Sweden WJC:

Mattias Hävelid (SJS), Anton Johansson (DET), Jakob Norén, Elias Pettersson (VAN), Elias Salomonsson (WPG), Axel Sandin Pellikka (DET), Tom Willander (VAN)

Odelius appears to be injured

Sweden looking strong on the back end.

I would go:

Pettersson - ASP

Havelid - Willander

Johansson - Salomonsson

PK1

Pettersson - Willander

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Captain insano said:

McAvoy is an overrated defensive liability in my opinion, he’s been sheltered by having great 2 way forwards deep defensive depth and vezina calibre goaltending his whole career and this year and last playoffs he’s been exposed yet here we are people still acting like he’s a true number one guy, I’m pretty sure every time I watch the bruins he’s the reason for atleast one goal against, I see willander being more of a Devon toews or a Slavin comparison, he seems very dialed in on his positioning and I’m loving it! 

It was Craig Button, who compared Willander to McAvoy... 

Lets just hope he continues and becomes a stable top 4 D...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Captain insano said:

I believe that was a comparison Craig Button made, but yes I agree with you, I see a right handed Toews comparison. Similar size and profile, both very good skaters and underrated defensively, with some offensive prowess.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I wasnt too far off below are the Dmen for Sweden WJC:

Mattias Hävelid (SJS), Anton Johansson (DET), Jakob Norén, Elias Pettersson (VAN), Elias Salomonsson (WPG), Axel Sandin Pellikka (DET), Tom Willander (VAN)

Odelius appears to be injured

Sweden looking strong on the back end.

I would go:

Pettersson - ASP

Havelid - Willander

Johansson - Salomonsson

PK1

Pettersson - Willander

I would go:

Pettersson    Willander 

They need to prepare these guys for when they play together in Vancouver. 

🥹

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

It was Craig Button, who compared Willander to McAvoy... 

Lets just hope he continues and becomes a stable top 4 D...

That’s a good comparison. And I see a lot of Adam Fox in Butkawitz. Okay skater, okay defensively, but duper smart and super offensively. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 7:13 AM, Alflives said:

Similar but Willander skates a lot better. Willander is actually quite like Hronek. A high end right shot D who plays a complete game. He will prove to be the best D from his draft, just like Quinn Hughes has proven to be the best from his. 

He doesn't play like ekblad. Best comparison  would be slavin and that isn't bad at all

• Cheers 1