[PGT] Canucks vs Predators Oct 31

Jess

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I thought Quinn was going to be a very good captain, but he's been way better than I could've pictured him being.

48 minutes ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

What's great is that he's so cool and humble, a great interview and the media obviously love him. He was a great choice.

46 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Couldn't agree more. He's really elevated his game, his standards, and what he demands of himself. Great leader! 

100% in agreement, this kid is awesome and he's all grown up now, a bit of ice in the lad's veins now...no longer Huggy Bear, maybe "Cool As A Cucumber Bear" now haha

• Like 4

Its kinda unfair to rest or the league when Canucks young core is entering their prime and their goalie is going to get Vezina nods and the systems are working the team is pushing opponents over even when they play crappy that's a hallmark of a supernova in the making.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

100% in agreement, this kid is awesome and he's all grown up now, a bit of ice in the lad's veins now...no longer Huggy Bear, maybe "Cool As A Cucumber Bear" now haha

I remember in the playoffs with Vegas in  2020 (I think game one?) he was being knocked around & hit hard every chance they had. At one point the camera caught him on bench and he was nearly in tears. Can’t recall  who was sitting beside him trying to calm him down but he looked so  overwhelmed.

His talent was always there but it’s incredible to see how far and how fast he has matured into this phenomenal captain we see only three years later. So cool to watch his trajectory. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Good overall victory tonight especially the 2-3 periods - thought the team was a bit too loose in the first period though - not the strongest coverage on the 2nd goal  - felt the Preds also had several outnumbered rushes that could have resulted in goals.  The broadcaster was indicating the third man was probably in a bit deep - team made some adjustments during the break I guess.

Wow - Petey is something with that shot of his along with his hockey smarts and vision to use everyone around him. Overall solid comeback tonight - some minor lapses on D in the third but nothing major.  Hughes is just playing great -  organizing and controlling certain areas of play. I am always looking to see some additional scoring from other players beside the big three to compliment this core.

None the less very happy with the result - hopefully they can post a solid effort against SJ who will be desperate for a good show at home.

Edited by hockeyfan-observer
c

23 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

In a contract year I'd have hoped Petey would at least wait until next year to start breaking out as the most complete forward in the NHL. 

Maybe he decides to give the team a Jack Hughes / Nathan MacKinnon like discount? 🙏 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AatuD2 said:

1. Looked like Myers could've played it and felt that way, however it was far from a sure thing and he was the last man back. Sure, he could've pinched and risked it all, but we could be talking about a 2 on 0 that resulted in a goal if he gambles and doesn't succeed. 

Agreed with the rest of your points 🙂

Yes, I can see why Myers hesitated, especially as he has been criticized so much for bad pinches. But the difference between good pinches and bad pinches is literally small fractions of second in time or inches in distance. Those are tough judgments to make. But you almost never see Hughes or Hronek make a play that looks like that, and they make very few bad pinches. The ability to make the correct judgment in a split second in one of the things that separates top D-men from bottom pairing guys. That is just not a skill that Myers has and is maybe his biggest single problem (poor split second judgments). I did not really criticize him. I agree he is trying hard and, overall, he is helping the team.

• Cheers 1

I just realized i may be way off with my Hughes predictions... hronek is amazing, best defenceman hughes has ever played with, and Hughes shot is actually a threat now... he may figure it out this season... even if his shooting percentage starts dropping (i dont think it will drop below 8%, 9.1% now) i think if he's healthy he gets 95+ points and will be somewhere in the top 3 for norris voting (1-3). However, teams will adjust to his new strengths and he may struggle for a little while before he may explode again around game 25-30...

Hronek may explode too, picking up some goals soon, his shot is amazing too! i think when hughes starts facing more pressure, hughes figures a way to get hronek the puck and he will get his chance for 5-10 games before teams realize they cant lean against hughes too much or he will make you pay... if this happens we are going to be winning alot of games.

We are winning this year is because how much better the team defence is. all our pairings will have an identity... Cole defense first. hronek and hughes does it all, myers and soucy are intimidating, teams 3rd line scorers (usually undersized) are going to not like going to the corners when they are on the ice.

I dont think this is a fluke, I think Coach Boudreau was key to this blossoming of our stars, he let them be creative and they figured it out. well... at least how to score... and i want to say that Tocchet is a genius, I guarantee he was already working on his own developing tapes on how to get Miller and Petey to be more defensive aware, i think he calmed them down and said Defence is easy, you two are smarter than your opponents and need to be pouncing at the right moment when the PP is at its weakest.  He gave them confidence, and likely a assurance that if they play defence first but smart they will get more offenisive chances.  Now this season, that mentality is carrying across other areas of the ice, and those two are becoming legit two way forwards.  Petterson will win the selke this year, if not ill eat my shorts.

• Cheers 3

Did not play that well and still whoop them by 3. Shows what star power can do for a team. Quinn and Petey won us this game. Lots of good screens and gritty goals in this one from both teams which is what you like to see, but didn't like seeing Hughes and Hronek leave a wide-open screen on the Fabbro goal, that looked like Hronek's man.

Great job in front of their goalie though on all the traffic, crashes and screens, we need more of that going forward against the tougher teams but Nashville made it way too easy to get there.

Next game against the winless Sharks, really don't want to be the team that gives them their first win but honestly can't see it happening.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Total points by defencemen:

Quinn Hughes - 11

Adam Fox - 11

Moritz Seider - 10

Shea Theodore - 10

Cale Makar - 9

Filip Hronek - 8

Is Quinn Hughes the best defenceman in the NHL? 

IMG_0131.gif

Leads NHL in plus minus too. 

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I remember in the playoffs with Vegas in  2020 (I think game one?) he was being knocked around & hit hard every chance they had. At one point the camera caught him on bench and he was nearly in tears. Can’t recall  who was sitting beside him trying to calm him down but he looked so  overwhelmed.

His talent was always there but it’s incredible to see how far and how fast he has matured into this phenomenal captain we see only three years later. So cool to watch his trajectory. 

Brandon Sutter. After that point I didn't really complain about his contract or the trade anymore. He was a good vet presence in that series for Quinn.

• Thanks 3