[PGT] Canucks vs Predators Oct 31

Jess

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Tocchet is an excellent coach. Honest, forthright, disciplined, and fair.

You can tell he's had some hard-ass coaches and he feels that they crossed lines. He seems to have taken on some of those traits, but knows to walk a line between "player coach" and "tyrant".

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

Good win but bad win as well, we still have a lot of work to do, too many time looking lost in our D zone, yep it's still early and time to correct it but the better teams in the league will light us up if we don't clean that up. 

Sloppy sometimes positionally, we need work as well, but again there's time for that but looking not too bad at this point. 

Rumour has it JR and AL are working the phones hard to get us some other players who can help and add some bigger skilled grit so we won't get beat down against the bigger teams who would happily take advantage of that weakness.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Fantomex said:

You can tell he's had some hard-ass coaches and he feels that they crossed lines. He seems to have taken on some of those traits, but knows to walk a line between "player coach" and "tyrant".

Yeah his comment regarding Keenan was bang on. 

Glad he's experienced the a hole coaches to know that throwing Miller back on in the 3rd will make him not only a better player but a guy that will continue to play hard for RT and the team. 

Here's the truth, a coach needs to be a bit of a hard ass but loveable at the same time. Guys need to respect and listen to him but also love him and play for him. I believe that's what's happening now on this team. 

Bruce was a nice guy but too nice. 

I believe as much as the players liked him, they took advantage of him. This resulted in lack of accountability and ultimately did the team a disservice. 

This is so much better than the Canucks country club we watched for many years. This current atmosphere is where the best players thrive and get excited to come to the rink. RT has helped change the culture for the better

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I love how Tocchet is teaching them to win

Player's always talk the talk of winning, and then sign to play on a team that is already winning (with winning ways)

He is teaching them to do it here and be accountable while being fair

Tocchet’s stern words after the game made it clear that winning a game isn’t the be-all and end-all. Winning one game is all well and good, but what he wants is for them to play in such a way that they will keep winning all season long.

Edited by Ballisticsports
  • ThereItIs 3

46 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Along with the coaching, I Never realized how big of an impact the changes on D would be starting with Hronek to Cole and Soucy. 

So much stability now. Far cry from the days of Dermott, OEL Poolman and co. 

Speaking of defenses, I had a lightbulb moment yesterday. Myers is at his best when the game gets physical. We saw it in the playoffs in the bubble and see glimpses every now and then. Myers has size and speed and when the intensity picks up, he plays better. If RT continues to make the team play with intensity and push the pace, Myers will look better and better. 

Campbell makes 5m (cap wise) which is the same as Demko lol. 

Demko has 3 seasons including this year at 5m.

We need to take a run while Hughes is contract is still low too... 

25-26 will be our last chance before a mini rebuild. That's the last year Demko, Hughes, Miller will be under controlled cap. My guess is Petey will be making a lot and Hronek will get a significant raise. 

Well need to figure out what to do with guys like Brock, Mik, Kuz 

By then Hogz, Podz, Lekkermaki, Willander andaube some others should be contributing... 

Yeah it will be tricky I don't think they'll do a mini rebuild in 25-26 though. That's when we'll be going broke for it. Hopefully the cap keeps going up and we get some elc help. Boeser and hopefully Garland off the books by then ... as long as Allvin keeps making solid signings we should be able to navigate. Hopefully Miller is still firing on all cylinders at that point too.

36 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

Remember the postings when our not best ahl players lost 10-0 in 1st pre-season game

Love the turn around  🙂

I was very concerned after that game, not because of the score but because of the lack of pushback, especially from players trying to make the team. It seemed to me nothing had changed despite Tochett saying the team was soft. I thought we were in for another rough season. I am quite excited with what I'm seeing now, the team has come a long way in a short time. I guess, after over a decade of disappointment it'll take a while for doubts to disappear. In the meantime, go Canucks.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Solid captain choice. 

Loved how he is now using RT terminology like the need to play "predictable". 

Captain bought in and the team bought in. 

Very fortunate that we are finding success early this year. Much easier for players to buy in when our stars are leading the league in numerous stats and team is winning. 

I must admit, I was extremely skeptical about Hughes becoming the captain. I truly dislike his nickname, to me it comes across as soft which has been a major problem for this team for a long, long time. Even though my opinion of his nickname hasn't change I do think he is doing an excellent job as captain and was, in fact, the right choice.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Good. The more under the radar the team is, the easier to take teams off guard.

I am confident in saying that teams don’t prepare for an opponent by visiting NHL.com but I agree with your sentiment.

6 hours ago, Canuck You said:

Unbelievable, Toronto lost and the NHL.com headline is 'Nylander sets Toronto season-opening point record'.

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

7 hours ago, Olli Juolevi said:

If I remember correctly, the pass to Myers from Petey was a bit of a muffin. This felt to me like one of those plays where Myers gets the criticism because we prefer criticizing him over Petey. With the other d man (I think it was Soucy) already pinched down, even a clean crisp pass to Myers was already putting him in a bit of a tight spot with two (maybe 3? Can’t remember) Nashville players between him and the net or any other Canuck. That the pass ended up being such a muffin was just a double suicide for Myers. 

Watching it live I felt it might’ve worked if Petey’s pass was clean enough for Myers to load up a one timer or quickly throw it to the corner, but aside from that I think Petey kind of screwed Myers there. 

Good point. I admit I was thinking the same thing. On reflection, I think Petey was more at fault for the breakdown than Myers, but I still think Myers could have made that play.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Agree 100%...

Love @JamesBs takes on the games, as he knows, but also felt that if Myers pinches on that play, and doesn't get the puck, they are going 2 on 0, if not 3 on 0...

Myers staying back, and hooking the player gave Preds a penalty shot, but probably saved a goal.

JamesB is always right on point, and have great summarises.

Thanks for the kind words. And I agree. Petey put Myers in a tough spot and maybe Myers played it as well as possible.

• Like 1

Just now, JamesB said:

Thanks for the kind words. And I agree. Petey put Myers in a tough spot and maybe Myers played it as well as possible.

Myers way over committed on the play near the blue line which created the mini breakaway.  Would have been good to make the puck carrier a shooter there and let the backcheck pick up the other guys.

6 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I was very concerned after that game, not because of the score but because of the lack of pushback, especially from players trying to make the team. It seemed to me nothing had changed despite Tochett saying the team was soft. I thought we were in for another rough season. I am quite excited with what I'm seeing now, the team has come a long way in a short time. I guess, after over a decade of disappointment it'll take a while for doubts to disappear. In the meantime, go Canucks.

Yes, I was disappointed with the opportunity that the prospects were given and the lack of push to make an impression, but at the same time knew that 5 ? of our best prospects were not in those games either and that was not our NHL lineup and these rookies hadn't played as a team  were against a veteran NHL line up that was familiar with each other, and glad that it worked out and people are enjoying the Canucks with more confidence now

58 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

EP surprised us how fast he adapted to NHL

EP surprised us with his skate in All Star game

EP surprised us with taking C responsibility and defense

EP  surprise with a Gordie Howe hattrick next game ?😉

Not a big fan of empty net hat tricks myself and rather see 3 put by a goalie, but it was fun regardless

You forgot 
EP stunned the world with his 100 MPH slapshot.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Are the refs less likely to give us power plays because of how good our PP is? I mean this is getting ridiculous. I was at the game and saw so many calls they refused to make. 

On another note we played well but sloppy, too many needless giveaways where there wasn’t immediate pressure on our players. We were the obviously more talented team though. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Strawbone said:

Really happy with that win. The pre-game recognition of Adam Johnson's death set a pretty somber tone for the evening, so I'll give the boys a pass on a bit of a slow and sloppy start. They closed the game out strong. This next game against the Sharks is one that any really good team should easily win, so I hope we buckle down and play with the same intensity against what is the lowliest of opponents.

I'm wondering if that's partly why the team was out of focus for parts of the game.

16 minutes ago, PAVEL_BURE10 said:

Everything going good so far but please change the god awful goal song 

No play it louder. 😄 Just because you hate it! 😄

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

You're not the only one mate.   I've been waiting for a team with a killer instinct since the early to mid 90's one, as in playoff mode teams.   Sure we have to make it first.   We've all got Stockholm syndrome, well anyone who's followed the team at all the entire last decade or so.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Are the refs less likely to give us power plays because of how good our PP is? I mean this is getting ridiculous. I was at the game and saw so many calls they refused to make. 

On another note we played well but sloppy, too many needless giveaways where there wasn’t immediate pressure on our players. We were the obviously more talented team though. 

Always nice to see a POV from folks at the game.   It's a level up from TV. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, high flying Vee said:

I think Tocc’s time working as part of the media has equipped him particularly well for coaching in this market. Rather than holding back when pushed for information, he tends to flood the questioner with honest dialogue rife with technical hockey jargon. 
Pretty refreshing for us fans ! 

Yes there is zero doubt, that working in the media make you better equipped to deal with the press.... Bruce was the same....

In saying that, when it all smells like roses, even I may look good infant of the press (not 🙂 )... but yes, Tocchet has been refreshing, and more importantly, so far the players seem to buy into it as well.... we are having a competitive team this season, and is great to see...