[PGT] Canucks vs Predators Oct 31

Jess

4 hours ago, AmyTheGma said:

Nice win even when we didn’t necessarily play our best hockey.  I think all that needs to be said of our stars has been said as the team definitely star powered their way to victory tonight.  It seems on most nights this year our star players have been better than the opponents star players.  

I think another big difference this year has been the pro scouting team.  Every player they identified and picked up have been making our team better.

Pius Suter doesn’t have a tonne of points, but he has been spectacular in his overall play.  He made a number of key defensive plays that save goals in this game I thought.  I think his purpose is also being capable of filling in for JT or Petey if god forbid one of them get injured.  To get all that for the price tag is smart management.

Sam Lafferty has filled in for Blueger seamlessly and provides that roughness that we were definitely missing.  He has actually been able to do so while putting up respectable number of points also.  Perfect depth player.  He may be the one to sit when Blueger comes back, but very valuable player.  Nobody is going to miss that 5th.

Friedman has been a blessing and really came out of nowhere to be a staple in our top 4.  He has been spectacular in my opinion.  For league minimum basically.  

Desmith was another solid add that addressed an area of need all the while clearing some cap space and giving Pearson a fresh start.  That goes a long way in showing the team is a great destination for players to sign.

Blueger we have yet to see, but if the pre season is any indication, he is going to be another hit in the pro scouting department.

Last bit certainly not least, Hronek has been nothing short of perfect.  A lot of people thought he wasn’t really the type of player that was ideal for Hughes, but look at those numbers.  Wow!!

That is basically a 100% success rate in my eyes.  It makes me feel more confident that they will be able to navigate the tough years with the OEL penalty.  Much more so than if Bennington was in charge of getting us through it.

I guess you could add Toc to the list too.  Perfect couch for this team right now.  He pushes all the right buttons to get the most out of the players.  We may even convince Petey to stay if things keep going the way they are.

You really nailed a thing here, that hasn't been mentioned enough...the pro scouting... its lightyears better than what we use to see under Benning.

Have to say its hard to find a miss in all the players brought in... Maybe Beau hasn't quite lived up[ to expectation this season, but in general I struggle to find a miss, which is quite astonishing to be honest.... Onwards and upwards.... 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah it will be tricky I don't think they'll do a mini rebuild in 25-26 though. That's when we'll be going broke for it. Hopefully the cap keeps going up and we get some elc help. Boeser and hopefully Garland off the books by then ... as long as Allvin keeps making solid signings we should be able to navigate. Hopefully Miller is still firing on all cylinders at that point too.

Yes I definitely think they will go for it 25-26 btu after that, we will see some of the roster turn over...

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

You really nailed a thing here, that hasn't been mentioned enough...the pro scouting... its lightyears better than what we use to see under Benning.

Have to say its hard to find a miss in all the players brought in... Maybe Beau hasn't quite lived up[ to expectation this season, but in general I struggle to find a miss, which is quite astonishing to be honest.... Onwards and upwards.... 

Beau was included as the Islanders needed the cap space for Bo. He was a MUST in the trade for $ reasons, but also will offer trade value this spring. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, spook007 said:

yea that might be one for sure, you could argue Studnika maybe as well, although he is still serviceable. Maybe also that defence men last year that we still ended up getting Bloom out of.  Still very much improved though.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

Good point. I admit I was thinking the same thing. On reflection, I think Petey was more at fault for the breakdown than Myers, but I still think Myers could have made that play.

I agree that Petey was more at fault than Myers, but my initial thought was that it looked like a lack of confidence by Myers and tried to play it safe. If that was Hughes or Hronek you know they would’ve stepped up and made a play and turn it into a scoring chance. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

I’m a big optimist when it comes to our Canucks but I never thought we would have a start like this! What I also like is they are aware of their shortcomings and want to get better. That’s a sign of an up and coming team. 

😀

I'm really hoping the trajectory is good enough that Petey signs a long term home town discount to keep the crew here.

So far, I would say Hughes is one of the best contracts in the NHL.

Miller contract at this point is very good. He shored up his 2 way play and is putting up points. RT fixed him. We dont know what the latter stages of the contract will look like but at this point, its very good.

Demko's contract is unbeatable

Brock is finally living up to his contract. 91 pt /82 pace

Kuz and Mik are good. Both around the 65 pt /82 pace and I actually see this going up and improving.

If we can find a taker for Garland and Beau and re-sign Brock to a cheaper deal (the dude owes us for many years of over payment), we're in a good spot.

It's a lot easier to trade from a position of strength and everyone's improved play is helping.

Personally, I wouldnt mind Myers coming back at a short term cheap deal like 3 x 3.5m if he takes it.  The heat he gets is because he's paid like a top 4 but playing like a 5-6D

Nice that our GM has the luxury of time to find a better deal to create cap space. 

Tocchet's take on Miller in the post-game was refreshing to hear. It's a clear example of how he's able to tailor his coaching for each individual player on the team. 

He was being a hard ass with Miller when he noticed his emotions were getting the better of him during the game, but also knows to throw him back out for the third after sitting him down. His post-game comments really do show how he recognizes Miller's fault, but at the end of day, understands that Miller's passion is necessary for the rest of the team's benefit which is more on the quiet side. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

Yeah I think if he had zero hesitation and stepped up as soon as Petey muffed the pass then he was probably the first to the puck and could’ve made a play but I don’t blame him for the hesitation. A 2-0 (it could’ve even been a 3-0) would’ve had us on the Misplays reels for a while. 

I’m not sure what others have been seeing but I think the past three games has been the best three game stretch Myers has played as a Canuck. I could hear a couple guys sitting behind me going off on Myers for that play, and just about everything he did all game really, and didn’t think it was deserved is all. 

(section 316, row 13 seats 108–112ish, if you’re reading this: your seat neighbours don’t want to hear your nasally voice whine about Myers for 2.5 hours as he actually plays a pretty solid game right in front of your eyes)

The thing is, is that Myers backing off DID create a 3 on 1.  He just handed them that for free.  He froze when he should have stepped up.  That is Tocchet's system. Always aggressive on the puck.  Its difficult to criticize him too much, the game moves so fast, he had to make a judgment call in one second. But from my angle, on the couch 🤨, it seemed like he had enough time to get to the puck first and at least simply knock it back deep.

The problem with Myers is that when he's good, uses his size to his advantage, he can be very good.  But when he's bad, makes a brain fart decision, he's awful, and it usually ends up with the puck in the net.

35 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Vancouver is the only team to have 3 players in the top 20 of the scoring race:

[1. J Hughes 18p]

2. E Pettersson 16p

9. JT Miller 13p

19. Q Hughes 11p

Ja mon, weebee jamm'n' mon

I have all three in my hockey pool. The joy of being in a pool with Flames and Jets fans. They ignore Canucks  lol

Edit: I also have Demko  😂

Edited by Shift-4
  • ThereItIs 2

On another ok note, The Toronto Maple Leafs are holding down the 2nd (and last) Wild Card position in the East.

Whaa haa haa ha ha ha ha ha!

Oh, and Edmonton, Calgary, and San Jose are in the bottom of the Pacific Division, the Western Conference, and the Entire NHL.

Hee hee.

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I must admit, I was extremely skeptical about Hughes becoming the captain. I truly dislike his nickname, to me it comes across as soft which has been a major problem for this team for a long, long time. Even though my opinion of his nickname hasn't change I do think he is doing an excellent job as captain and was, in fact, the right choice.

It didn't surprise me when Tocc chose Quinn as captain. Just reading about his childhood and family

dynamics tells me that this is a hockey family, that will be considered a dynasty one day.  Both parents

were hockey players and the dad had years of experience as a coach, scout, trainer in various leagues.

Quinn and his brothers spent a lot of time hanging around NHL players and facilities throughout their

childhood and their mother taught them to skate at a very early age.  She also coached them hockey

throughout their childhood.  Hockey isn't just a game, it's in their bloodline.

Quinn's approach to hockey is more methodical than emotional.  He probably knows the game as well as

some coaches and more than anyone, he understands the term 'we are as good as our weakest link.'  He

always addresses any criticism about the team's game, as 'we' and I expect his approach in the locker room

lacks judgment or arrogance.  He's a young captain, but I suspect his hockey knowledge is miles beyond

his years. He oozes professionalism.

https://www.iihf.com/en/news/25014/a_hughes_family

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

30 minutes ago, kilgore said:

The thing is, is that Myers backing off DID create a 3 on 1.  He just handed them that for free.  He froze when he should have stepped up.  That is Tocchet's system. Always aggressive on the puck.  Its difficult to criticize him too much, the game moves so fast, he had to make a judgment call in one second. But from my angle, on the couch 🤨, it seemed like he had enough time to get to the puck first and at least simply knock it back deep.

The problem with Myers is that when he's good, uses his size to his advantage, he can be very good.  But when he's bad, makes a brain fart decision, he's awful, and it usually ends up with the puck in the net.

Maybe.  Have also watched him use his gigantic stick a half dozen times and save a sure goal (deflecting off it).    Maybe we should just leave him alone for awhile and see how he adjusts.   So far he's been good the past few games.   At least he's no longer been asked to defend as much against the McDavid's and McKinnon's of the league too.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I must admit, I was extremely skeptical about Hughes becoming the captain. I truly dislike his nickname, to me it comes across as soft which has been a major problem for this team for a long, long time. Even though my opinion of his nickname hasn't change I do think he is doing an excellent job as captain and was, in fact, the right choice.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hughes' nickname is a non-factor. 

I'm pretty sure nicknames don't matter when it comes to on ice performance.

• Vintage 1