[PGT] Canucks vs Predators Oct 31

Jess

3 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Not meant as a slamming of JT here, as when he is locked in he’s such a force for our team, but you can really understand why he was never a reasonable choice to be the captain. But I agree with Tocchet that for a “quiet” team like this in terms of personalities, JT’s emotional nature is a net positive. Quinn looking more and more to be the perfect choice for captain. What a stone cold assassin this kid is.

Agree... also making Quinn Captain, stopped potential envy between Petey and Miller.... Smart move on many levels.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JamesB said:

Yes, I can see why Myers hesitated, especially as he has been criticized so much for bad pinches. But the difference between good pinches and bad pinches is literally small fractions of second in time or inches in distance. Those are tough judgments to make. But you almost never see Hughes or Hronek make a play that looks like that, and they make very few bad pinches. The ability to make the correct judgment in a split second in one of the things that separates top D-men from bottom pairing guys. That is just not a skill that Myers has and is maybe his biggest single problem (poor split second judgments). I did not really criticize him. I agree he is trying hard and, overall, he is helping the team.

I hear you, and I had the same feeling as you did on the play. 

Onwards and upwards! 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Not meant as a slamming of JT here, as when he is locked in he’s such a force for our team, but you can really understand why he was never a reasonable choice to be the captain. But I agree with Tocchet that for a “quiet” team like this in terms of personalities, JT’s emotional nature is a net positive. Quinn looking more and more to be the perfect choice for captain. What a stone cold assassin this kid is.

In a lot of ways, his demeanor is similar to Ryan Kesler. Just an overtly passionate and emotionally expressive player. Great to have, but not the right temperament as a captain.

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Maybe.  Have also watched him use his gigantic stick a half dozen times and save a sure goal (deflecting off it).    Maybe we should just leave him alone for awhile and see how he adjusts.   So far he's been good the past few games.   At least he's no longer been asked to defend as much against the McDavid's and McKinnon's of the league too.  

The coaches, maybe especially RT, are working with him and he is becoming a valuable piece of the puzzle.

Reining him in, practicing his staples so that he can just react, and hopefully training him to deliver the pain without taking penalties.

It is so nice to have fun again watching hockey. I am not sure yet if Tocchet is good enough to lead a team to a Stanley Cup but he sure is exactly what this team needed after all those years.

This game was sloppy at best but these were the games we always ended up losing last year. 

There are still a lot of questions left in this very young season:

I feel like Hroneks success is tied to Hughes. His positioning and defensive play is good but in my eyes he has been a rather bad passer. A lot of turnovers and he often sets up his teammates for trouble because of passes into the feet. Before the canucks pay him big in the offseason I really want a good look of Hronek without Hughes. 

Friedman was ok but he should not be a 6 with a contending team. 

The stars are producing but there is very little contribution from the bottom six. For playoff series there has to be a lot more depth scoring. 

I guess Bains could bring that after a trade makes room for him. 

But it's great that we can have fun in the meantime while looking for these answers. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

Beau was included as the Islanders needed the cap space for Bo. He was a MUST in the trade for $ reasons, but also will offer trade value this spring. 

True... not sure how much value he has in the spring, but off loading him in the offseason give us over $4M in cap space and that's more important.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AmyTheGma said:

yea that might be one for sure, you could argue Studnika maybe as well, although he is still serviceable. Maybe also that defence men last year that we still ended up getting Bloom out of.  Still very much improved though.

Yeah you probably could.

Studnicka is at minimum pay... he is fine as a 13th man at minimum pay. He will be in the AHL once Bluger is back again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vollmilch90 said:

I guess Bains could bring that after a trade makes room for him. 

After the TDL I can definitely see spots free up for Bains and Pods after we trade Joshua & Beauvillier (both UFA’s) at the deadline. Bains is cooking on the farm and I have hopes that pods will be knocking on the door close to seasons end to get a call up. 

I’m personally curious what it would take to get Tanev back here from Calgary. They will be a fire sale if they proceed the path they are on. Noah Hanifin will cost more to get but Tanev has history here and is a upgrade on RD. I hope it won’t cost more then a 3rd and 4th (as we don’t have a 2nd this year) and a 1st is too rich for a rental divisional rival or not. 

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, spook007 said:

True... not sure how much value he has in the spring, but off loading him in the offseason give us over $4M in cap space and that's more important.

Don't hold your breath.

We'd be lucky to get anything for Beau, Garland, or Myers at the trade deadline.

I'm already banking Beau and Myers will walk for nothing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Don't hold your breath.

We'd be lucky to get anything for Beau, Garland, or Myers at the trade deadline.

I'm already banking Beau and Myers will walk for nothing.

Tocchet likes Myers and he wants to stay. I think it is very realistic that Myers will return as the 3rd RHD with a significant pay cut that resembles his position 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AmyTheGma said:

yea that might be one for sure, you could argue Studnika maybe as well, although he is still serviceable. Maybe also that defence men last year that we still ended up getting Bloom out of.  Still very much improved though.

Yeah Stillman and Lazar were pretty much crap. Still very good. Can't wait for Blueger to get in there.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Vollmilch90 said:

Tocchet likes Myers and he wants to stay. I think it is very realistic that Myers will return as the 3rd RHD with a significant pay cut that resembles his position 

I think you are right. 

I have no issues with Myers at 2.5 million for one year, or 2 million per year for a 2 year deal. 

5 hours ago, Ballisticsports said:

EP surprised us how fast he adapted to NHL

EP surprised us with his skate in All Star game

EP surprised us with taking C responsibility and defense

EP  surprise with a Gordie Howe hattrick next game ?😉

Not a big fan of empty net hat tricks myself and rather see 3 put by a goalie, but it was fun regardless

Don't tell me that Sather didn't put Gretzky out in empty net situations.....