[PGT] Canucks vs Predators Oct 31

Jess

5 hours ago, Cromeslab said:

Wtf is.this Vegas has to be the favorite

Have been talking to the wife ... does this mean I could take 100-200k and put it against the Canucks winning and earn 8.9% if they don't win the cup?   Not sure how these things work..

Believe they must have a lot of math folks figuring out the best odds, not the real odds, but the best odds to make sure the house wins, and to pull in the max number of bets in their favour.

Of course Vegas has the best odds, Dallas for sure too (when was the last time a team that hasn't had to learn how to win and lose in the playoffs, just come in and won a cup?  Maybe the Bubble is a multiplier ... this for sure is a better team then that one was) but they don't want to use the real odds because too many folks would consider placing bets on them and the house wouldn't make money ... GIC's are at a 20 or so year high right now, think I'd rather put money into a one year at 6.5%, then make that bet (also can't stomach making money of our team winning or in this case losing a cup) .  

And well GIC's .. it's really just saving money because of inflation right now and earning a little bit.   Like always.   Parts for combines, that would cost 5-6k three years ago, are now selling for 9k.   A ton of companies have taken advantage of the supply chain issues during covid, which have long been solved.  

• Cheers 1

Boeser and Kuzmenko were absolutely possessed last night. Their efforts to get the puck back were above and beyond, its great to see skill guys/top 6 not named Pettersson and Miller going hard after the puck in every zone.

Myers imposed his will on anyone who touched the puck last night, he had a solid game all around. Broke up plenty of plays, made several solid pinches that led to extended zone time.

Our structure in the dzone was a difference maker and Demko played well.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

1. Looked like Myers could've played it and felt that way, however it was far from a sure thing and he was the last man back. Sure, he could've pinched and risked it all, but we could be talking about a 2 on 0 that resulted in a goal if he gambles and doesn't succeed. 

Agreed with the rest of your points 🙂

Agree 100%...

Love @JamesBs takes on the games, as he knows, but also felt that if Myers pinches on that play, and doesn't get the puck, they are going 2 on 0, if not 3 on 0...

Myers staying back, and hooking the player gave Preds a penalty shot, but probably saved a goal.

JamesB is always right on point, and have great summarises.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, WillisD said:

The orca should have been ditched years ago. I remember how disappointed a bunch of us fans were when they brought it in. Fugly 

It felt very forced, made zero sense aside from Orca entertainment trying to brand themselves forcefully, to the team (which made zero sense), it was very American re-branding, nobody was complaining about our current uniforms,  fans that is, heck I see them all over the place when I go to games in OTT and MTL even now, sure some orcas too, but not as many as you'd think, and it's young fans wearing them just as often as an older fan.    

Messier coming at least he didn't disgrace the skate  - yipppie!  Keenan coming !  WTF?!!  The first orca versions, were and still are considered some of the worst uniforms in hockey history, and the worst we've ever had by a country mile.   At least we weren't the only one doing that back then but holy cow they were ugly.  And what was the purpose of purple?   Nothing to do with our history, a complete and utter fail, and felt bad for the guys having to wear it.   Got used to it.   And was actually excited about the changes until I saw what they were.   They pumped it up.    Buffalo-slug and Fisherman friend.   It was gaudy for a time then.    Teams were trying to make money on merchandising.  And that's WHY we re-branded.  Fighting for dollars.    Seattle the planned destination.   Easier to do with an Orca than a Skate that is identified by a whole bunch of Seattle hockey fans as Vancouver and BC already right? 

Linden just never looked right.   The Sedin era teams asked / begged to wear the Skate, but were denied (Bieksa).  Miller loves it, same with EP.    Feel that a lot of  fans that would seriously miss the orca, would mostly be composed of folks who grew up with it .   Which I totally get, growing up with the flying V and the Skate, we were the first to do the all-black, and wouldn't want fans to have to go through what we did back then.    But at least it's not something unfamiliar and brand new.  

As an aside, by the late 90's a ton of teams jersey re-branded dark or close black .. Buffalo and Dallas lol.  Copy-cats.    Canucks uniforms and colours just worked, despite the pasta. 

Didn't take long for me to miss the skate.   And also preferred the home white's which would love to see again. The thing about the blacks, and this goes back to the 80's, some of the TV's just didn't have a very good picture and the numbers didn't pop as well as they did with the home uni's.   Part of the reason I prefer the whites, but don't have to worry about that anymore lol.  No longer watching with rabbit ears on a 20inch screen.   Aside from that god awful TD logo, it looks great!

Will say they have fixed it (orca) and am not in favour of bringing the skate back, because why do that to 25ish years of new fans.   Since they went back to the original colours, and thanks to the Sedins and Naslund etc, they've made a lot of fans.  

Would like to see the skate more often (and it's still the favourite Canucks uniform, if they are polled anyways) also would like to see them in the V a couple times now and again as well.     If they brought it back permanently, i'd be absolutely stoked though.   Keep fin, and honour the Orca every 5-6 games a year instead turfing it entirely.    Think the clean break made it really tough for some fans.   And our best playoffs still were wearing those uniforms.    From 1989-when we changed to the Orca, we mostly either had a fantastic series (89 - which folks still talk about, and is a footnote and discussed every single time a writer relives that great CAL team winning the cup, Vernon won game seven for them)  or won a round or both (WNP series was epic too, St. Louis .. and of course 94).   Folks still talk about Luongo versus Turco, me too, because it was epic.    We had some epic series with the Orca too. 

It's good for business (merchandising).   And good for the fans too.   Just a little every now and then.    If the players start making a fuss and want to switch, then i'd back it up, and of course i'd be happy, but also wouldn't want to "kill the orca" either like some extremists post at times either.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Look around. There's a whole tourist industry centered around whale watching. Even on the Ferries the Captain will point them out to the passengers.

Orcas are part of BC's culture. You are attaching too much to he who shall not be named and the previous owner. The Canucks were at the bottom of merchandizing in the league. And outside of Vancouver, our jerseys have been the source of snickers prior to the Orca. When the team went back to the original Blue/Green/White and orca its even better.

I remember reading in the unveiling of the jerseys. This was not "forced". It was a plan along the with the move to GM Place. And it was in place just prior to the nameless one being signed. My only two issues are that the orca should be done by a first nations artist so it looks better. And try to make one in black.

I have too many memories of lousy teams prior to Pat Quinn taking over to ever like the skate. I never liked it in the 80's, and I still don't like it now.

• ThereItIs 1

The first 10 minutes of last nights game wasn't very good for most of the Canucks. Play was scrambled, missing passes, poor coverage, hell, even Petey looked disinterested. It was like a light switch was turned up for the rest of the game. Sitting Miller might just have been the moment of the year for this team. It seemed they rallied behind him, and picked up the intensity. The third period was textbook hockey, with Demko shutting down anything that Nashville could muster.

Alf, I owe you an apology, Hronek is good at hockey, and is the perfect partner for Hughes. Now if only the Eastern market could witness what's going on out here, a few of our stars might get some recognition.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I was pretty worked up over the atrocious performance...by the Hanson brother reffing crew. But one thing is certain, we've never really got many breaks in that regard but this team gets fired up and can win rather than wilt. They're learning not to rely on calls going their way. The passion that fuels JT and has been heavily criticized is also the one that has a very strong "screw you" factor that drives him. I'm glad Tocchet gave him a cooling off period because he was rightfully pissed off and needed to refocus. I have a feeling they have a good relationship already established that's based on respect. I think JT responds well to Tocchet and understands that he played a fiery game too.

I'm so glad Petey is doing what he does and starting to love the game again. That's a big key to our success...him being motivated. Not that he ever really takes a night off but, when the team's off, it puts a lot of extra pressure on him that he really seems to absorb.

What a great October...especially in comparison to last year. Feels good, but they can't get complacent or settle in. I have a feeling they understand that part well.

I really like Hronek, he's standing out in a good way for me. Lafferty too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WillisD said:

The orca should have been ditched years ago. I remember how disappointed a bunch of us fans were when they brought it in. Fugly 

The Orca Winfrey jokes, falling through the ice, yeah, it wasn't the best and at first, Fin sucked, but then it was good, and the people were happy.

The end.