[PGT] Canucks vs Predators Oct 31

Jess

4 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

The first 10 minutes of last nights game wasn't very good for most of the Canucks. Play was scrambled, missing passes, poor coverage, hell, even Petey looked disinterested. It was like a light switch was turned up for the rest of the game. Sitting Miller might just have been the moment of the year for this team. It seemed they rallied behind him, and picked up the intensity. The third period was textbook hockey, with Demko shutting down anything that Nashville could muster.

Alf, I owe you an apology, Hronek is good at hockey, and is the perfect partner for Hughes. Now if only the Eastern market could witness what's going on out here, a few of our stars might get some recognition.

This part here. I agree, and it shows how much this team is coming together. It's so important for them to play for each other, not just themselves. It's really encouraging.

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Solid captain choice. 

Loved how he is now using RT terminology like the need to play "predictable". 

Captain bought in and the team bought in. 

Very fortunate that we are finding success early this year. Much easier for players to buy in when our stars are leading the league in numerous stats and team is winning. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, buddyguy said:

100%. It's a very nice surprise. He played 16-17 mins today and not once did I get nervous when he was out there. He's been steady out there since he arrived from PIT.

Loved that when he came in, he dropped his gloves right away against a bigger opponent to stick up for his teammates. Good team guy, decent skills, solid acquisition. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

MAGIC...... Man winning is fun... almost forgot, what it feels like to actually watch a proper hockey team...

Just love Tocchet.... He is exactly, what was needed... 

He doesn't let the dirty washing hang to smell.... Before any journalists get the opportunity to fabricate anything, he kills it instantly... His comments on Miller are spot on.

And yes, whisper it, but Myers has actually played like a top 4 Dman the last 3 games... hopefully it continues. We need him to, if this run is to continue...

I think Tocc’s time working as part of the media has equipped him particularly well for coaching in this market. Rather than holding back when pushed for information, he tends to flood the questioner with honest dialogue rife with technical hockey jargon. 
Pretty refreshing for us fans ! 

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Players probably got a bit over confident starting the game. They thought they can get away from their systems and still win...

They pulled out a win but not a formula for success if they do this too often.

We just don't have the level of talent to play ugly hockey and win on a regular basis.  

Gotta stick to the systems and play a defense first game every night out.  That's the recipe for success. 

I was streaming the game and could only watch the away feed. The Nashville announcers had a lot of praise for the Canucks, and were constantly bringing up how well they played defensively. I do realize they didn’t play their best systems game, but obviously the defensive acumen was still there.

• Upvote 2

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Nashville has been one of the top 5v5 teams in the league so far. Our first game against them was an off night for them, so we just took everything they could throw at us. Impressed at how well we were able to cope and deal while we weren't playing well at all, and a few weak ones from Lankinen doesn't hurt. That old mantra "good teams find a way to win" has its place and it works here and now.

Now we just need to crush San Jose on Thursday and we're going streaking. 

• Like 1

is it just me or is anyone else losing that impending doom feeling when we get a little lead?

last year was hard to swallow, we'd play great and get the lead and then we'd choke it away in 3 shifts. This year we seem to have gotten away from doing that, and I'm glad beyond measure. 

Keep up the good work boys. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Barn Burner said:

Oilers are doing what they do best - drilling for oil! 

I don't really care what they're doing wrong as long as they keep it up.

When was the last time Edmonton had a good goalie?

Campbell $6m 'til 2027; Skinner $2.6m 'til 2026; >$30m for McD, Drai, & Darnit!

Less than $400,000 cap; talk about poorly built.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

is it just me or is anyone else losing that impending doom feeling when we get a little lead?

last year was hard to swallow, we'd play great and get the lead and then we'd choke it away in 3 shifts. This year we seem to have gotten away from doing that, and I'm glad beyond measure. 

Along with the coaching, I Never realized how big of an impact the changes on D would be starting with Hronek to Cole and Soucy. 

So much stability now. Far cry from the days of Dermott, OEL Poolman and co. 

Speaking of defenses, I had a lightbulb moment yesterday. Myers is at his best when the game gets physical. We saw it in the playoffs in the bubble and see glimpses every now and then. Myers has size and speed and when the intensity picks up, he plays better. If RT continues to make the team play with intensity and push the pace, Myers will look better and better. 

20 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

I don't really care what they're doing wrong as long as they keep it up.

When was the last time Edmonton had a good goalie?

Campbell $6m 'til 2027; Skinner $2.6m 'til 2026; >$30m for McD, Drai, & Darnit!

Less than $400,000 cap; talk about poorly built.

Campbell makes 5m (cap wise) which is the same as Demko lol. 

Demko has 3 seasons including this year at 5m.

We need to take a run while Hughes is contract is still low too... 

25-26 will be our last chance before a mini rebuild. That's the last year Demko, Hughes, Miller will be under controlled cap. My guess is Petey will be making a lot and Hronek will get a significant raise. 

Well need to figure out what to do with guys like Brock, Mik, Kuz 

By then Hogz, Podz, Lekkermaki, Willander andaube some others should be contributing... 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

EP surprised us how fast he adapted to NHL

EP surprised us with his skate in All Star game

EP surprised us with taking C responsibility and defense

EP  surprise with a Gordie Howe hattrick next game ?😉

Not a big fan of empty net hat tricks myself and rather see 3 put by a goalie, but it was fun regardless

• Cheers 2

Really happy with that win. The pre-game recognition of Adam Johnson's death set a pretty somber tone for the evening, so I'll give the boys a pass on a bit of a slow and sloppy start. They closed the game out strong. This next game against the Sharks is one that any really good team should easily win, so I hope we buckle down and play with the same intensity against what is the lowliest of opponents.

18 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

Trends i had come to expect from this team that are drifting away include:

• lack of structure!   we get out of trouble in our end way better now
  • weak forechecking/board battles - way more effective now
  • slow starts - used to start games pinned in our end resulting in an early penalty or goal against
  • we no longer on our heals the shift after scoring
  • we no longer have a poor response the shift after giving up a goal
  • while the PK % isn't spectacular, it's way better to the eye

Overall we seem to play with speed, and the skill up and down the lineup is really showing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2