[Fired] Dorion out as GM in Ottawa

Goalie29

Andlauer is a big believer in accountability and that’s why he let Dorion make the decisions during the off-season. But sources say Andlauer and Staios weren’t pleased with the way the situation involving suspended centre Shane Pinto was handled by the organization.

While Pinto was unsigned when the league banned him for 41 games for breaking the NHL’s rules around gambling, the Senators didn’t have the cap space to sign him and were going to have to sweeten a deal by giving up an asset to get a contract off the books.

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/senators-fire-gm-dorion-after-eight-seasons?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1698865710

Apparently, he wasn't fired, he resigned.  But I can't help but think it wasn't a voluntary resignation.

That should read "Former Canuck, Steve Staios is the interim GM."  😀

Edited by Goalie29

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

782671-img-2064-e1435360009376.jpg;w=720

I wonder if they've got someone in mind to replace him long term. One can point to 1st round pick being the last straw but I'd assume this was something that was probably being explored for a while. Do they bring in an interim guy or have they been interviewing on the down low?

I know someone who's available 

• Haha 2

I highly doubt the NHL will remove the 1st considering they withheld information themselves while bringing in Andlauer.

Ironic because the whole reason for the Dadonov situation was because of information being withheld. 

• Upvote 1

So, lemme get this straight. Ottawa loses a 1st round pick for some weirdness in a trade. The Blackhawks entire franchise covers up sexual assault and they get fined? The money they lost in that fine they made up the moment they won the Bedard draft lottery. Sorry, just had to get that out there. This league is really bush league at times. With that said, I think Dorion's time was numbered. He's made some really weird moves. I mean, the fact they signed UFAs before locking up his RFA Pinto was weird, not that it matters now with the gambling suspension. I am surprised Dorion lasted as long as he did.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Goal_thecup said:

Ottawa was the guilty party?

From the league:

Senators to forfeit 1st-round pick in 2024, 2025 or 2026 NHL Draft

Ottawa penalized for role in trades of Dadonov to Golden Knights, Ducks

ByNHL Public Relations
November 01, 2023
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

NEW YORK – TORONTO – The National Hockey League today announced that the Ottawa Senators will forfeit a first-round draft pick for their role in the July 2021 trade of Player Evgenii Dadonov from the Senators to the Vegas Golden Knights and the subsequent, invalidated March 2022 Dadonov trade between the Golden Knights and the Anaheim Ducks.

Ottawa will forfeit its first-round draft pick in one of the 2024, 2025 or 2026 Drafts. The determination as to which pick will be forfeited will be made by Ottawa within 24 hours of the conclusion of the Draft Lottery for that year. The League will have no further comment on the matter.

"The determination as to which pick will be forfeited will be made by Ottawa within 24 hours of the conclusion of the Draft Lottery for that year."

That sounds lie they can't actually choose to give up a pick till the year after they decide to give up a pick?

Must have meant within 24hrs of the beginning of the draft?

19 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I highly doubt the NHL will remove the 1st considering they withheld information themselves while bringing in Andlauer.

Ironic because the whole reason for the Dadonov situation was because of information being withheld. 

Doesn't the Agent get called first, and shouldn't the agent have said. "Uhh...you know he has a No Trade List right? "

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1