[Fired] Dorion out as GM in Ottawa

Goalie29

12 minutes ago, Gurn said:

"The determination as to which pick will be forfeited will be made by Ottawa within 24 hours of the conclusion of the Draft Lottery for that year."

That sounds lie they can't actually choose to give up a pick till the year after they decide to give up a pick?

Must have meant within 24hrs of the beginning of the draft?

nah, it makes perfect sense. they have until 24 hours after the draft lottery is finished to decide if they're giving up that year's pick or not. gives them the ability to know their seeding before making the decision (for the first 2 years, anyway).

47 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

So, lemme get this straight. Ottawa loses a 1st round pick for some weirdness in a trade. The Blackhawks entire franchise covers up sexual assault and they get fined? The money they lost in that fine they made up the moment they won the Bedard draft lottery. Sorry, just had to get that out there. This league is really bush league at times. With that said, I think Dorion's time was numbered. He's made some really weird moves. I mean, the fact they signed UFAs before locking up his RFA Pinto was weird, not that it matters now with the gambling suspension. I am surprised Dorion lasted as long as he did.

They made that money back way before ever winning the Bedard sweepstakes. The million dollar fine is an absolute pittance compared to what was likely tens of millions that the Blackhawks made off their Stanley Cup runs. Getting Bedard was just the twist of the knife into the collective guts of hockey fans across the league. 

We’ve now seen the NHL come down harder on the Canucks for the Luongo contract, the Devils for the Kovy contract, the Yotes for private pre-draft workouts, and the Sens for this than they ever did for the Blackhawks covering up a sexual assault. It’s frustrating as hell. 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

27 minutes ago, tas said:

nah, it makes perfect sense. they have until 24 hours after the draft lottery is finished to decide if they're giving up that year's pick or not. gives them the ability to know their seeding before making the decision (for the first 2 years, anyway).

Then what happens to the player they picked?

does that guy have to wait until next year to get drafted, by any team?

That doesn't seem likely.

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

It means the 1st round has one less draft pick. So the year they forfeit there's 31 players taken in the 1st round. I think that's how it's worked in the past.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

We’ve now seen the NHL come down harder on the Canucks for the Luongo contract, the Devils for the Kovy contract, the Yotes for private pre-draft workouts, and the Sens for this than they ever did for the Blackhawks covering up a sexual assault. It’s frustrating as hell. 

This.... Not just frustrating but down right wrong.  Really makes me want to distance myself more then I already have with the NHL as a whole.  The NHL is not the only major sport that's shady at times...

But as a fan, and to the point here.  The Blackhawks 'penalty'... Which was way worse than the others, was equivalent to a slap on the wrist, which in turn was a hard slap across the face to all the other teams and their fans.... Us.Screw You Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

NHL

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It means the 1st round has one less draft pick. So the year they forfeit there's 31 players taken in the 1st round. I think that's how it's worked in the past.

But the wording says "24yrs after the draft" for that year.

If was for the next yrs draft, that would make sense, although disproportional to other  fines levied by the league

20 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

This.... Not just frustrating but down right wrong.  Really makes me want to distance myself more then I already have with the NHL as a whole.  The NHL is not the only major sport that's shady at times...

But as a fan, and to the point here.  The Blackhawks 'penalty'... Which was way worse than the others, was equivalent to a slap on the wrist, which in turn was a hard slap across the face to all the other teams and their fans.... Us.Screw You Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

NHL

I’m waiting to see what comes of the Hockey Canada sexual assault story. That might sway my allegiance. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

shedding no tears for Dorion but I'm a bit confused why things like NTCs aren't registered with the league office and public info for all teams.

One that still irks me is NJ got another draft pick (I'm just going from memory) for loss of their selected player, but we were not compensated when we lost Luc Bourdon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Goal_thecup said:

One that still irks me is NJ got another draft pick (I'm just going from memory) for loss of their selected player, but we were not compensated when we lost Luc Bourdon.

Honestly I'd rather have had Luc back and had hopefully a long happy life, and maybe he would have helped out against the Bruins.

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, Gurn said:

are you missing the word LOTTERY over and over again?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

I believe the rule behind that is cut and dry.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if a 1st round pick hasn't signed an ELC in 2 years, the franchise gets a compensatory pick for them.  Bourdon not only signed a contract but played some games for the Canucks, while the Rangers prospect, because he was playing in Russia, hadn't signed an ELC yet.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

Andlauer you're on fire today and you've earned the sympathy of every single fanbase in the NHL

Do not burn that goodwill by signing Peter Chiarelli

I like Ottawa so I'd hate for them to sign Chiapet or Benning.

• Cheers 1