Aidan McDonough | L

• -AJ- changed the title to Aidan McDonough | L

Looked really good so far, some goal scorer's goals and snipes. Top 6 material for Abby for sure but....does he push for an NHL spot or at least call up? He's competing with Hoglander and Podkolzin who are competing with Beauvillier and Garland but he has a real high offensive hockey IQ and a heck of a shot.

2 hours ago, sashimi said:

I'd rather have McDonough in the lineup over Garland tbh.

I know Garland is actually a pretty valuable player but I just feel like McDonough's size and style of play could really help.

Will be interesting if they can improve his speed and if he can play at a high work rate.  To make the NHL club I think he would probably need to start on line 3 and play second PP unit.  Will get opportunity to prove himself in ABbotsford who should have a really talented roster.

McDonough definitely has an NHL shot.  Looks like he may have improved his skating as well.  I'm not sure he is fit for the 3rd line however.  I'd like to see him skating with JT Miller.  Miller could turn McDonough into a 30 goal scorer.  Put Podkolzin on the opposite wing and away we go...

Kuzmenko      Pettersson   Lekkerimaki

McDonough    Miller           Podkolzin

Mikheyev        Raty             Klimovich

I'd love to see how this works out.  This could be the future top 9 of the Canucks...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

McDonough definitely has an NHL shot.  Looks like he may have improved his skating as well.  I'm not sure he is fit for the 3rd line however.  I'd like to see him skating with JT Miller.  Miller could turn McDonough into a 30 goal scorer.  Put Podkolzin on the opposite wing and away we go...

I'd love to see how this works out.  This could be the future top 9 of the Canucks...

I like the looks and weight of the second line. Meat and potatoes.

Defensive game might be a bit suspect 

• Cheers 1

This guy's has me thinking we should package someone with Garland and Beau and make some space have some cheaper contracts come up. Mc can shoot better than half our team right now imagine what he could be doing in a years time. They're gonna have to try to lock this kid up, nhl frame, nhl shot. Gets a little fast And a little stronger and he's a lock for LW#2.  Might make more sense to have Hoglander in 3lw if he can round out his checking game

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's funny, was just thinking along the same lines but in the context of training camp / early preseason and how to best showcase a few of our standout forwards. Miller and McDonough together was one combo. I suggested Raty with Klim prior to yesterday's Young Stars game as well - that's an excellent pairing of complementary skillsets. The third player on that line? Perhaps a healthy Pearson - someone who plays a simple game, is fairly strong on the boards and who will just shoot Raty's setups.

I think Bains getting to play with a creative centre and a quicker player like Mikheyev or Beauvilier would be very intriguing to watch too. Unfortunately, not sure if we have that creative centre unless you want to elevate Bains to play with Petey for a preseason game, and I'm not sure that's the best use of what I'm guessing will be a limited number of games that EP gets into. 

I strongly suspect McDonough in Abbotsford is the eventual result but I hope he gets into 3-4 preseason games so he can be evaluated against legit bottom-six NHLers.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

This guy's has me thinking we should package someone with Garland and Beau and make some space have some cheaper contracts come up. Mc can shoot better than half our team right now imagine what he could be doing in a years time. They're gonna have to try to lock this kid up, nhl frame, nhl shot. Gets a little fast And a little stronger and he's a lock for LW#2.  Might make more sense to have Hoglander in 3lw if he can round out his checking game

I’d probably package Höglander to make room for McDonough. Not sure there is room for both. We can move Mikheyev to the 3rd line to have a really strong checking 3rd line. Not sure Höglander is a 3rd liner either. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d probably package Höglander to make room for McDonough. Not sure there is room for both. We can move Mikheyev to the 3rd line to have a really strong checking 3rd line. Not sure Höglander is a 3rd liner either. 

I'm surprised how many people want to give up on Hoglander already. 

I'd much rather package a 3rd or 2nd to move Garland or retain 50% on Beau and move him. 

49 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

I'm surprised how many people want to give up on Hoglander already. 

I'd much rather package a 3rd or 2nd to move Garland or retain 50% on Beau and move him. 

McDonough looks like the real deal. He’s a big body. Lekkerimaki also looks like the real deal. Podkolzin I think will take the next step. So will Klimovich and Raty. Petey, Miller, Kuzmenko, Mikheyev. 

Not sure where Höglander is going to fit in. Same with Boeser. At the end of the day we have too many wingers. We need another centre IMO and some more help on defence. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

McDonough looks like the real deal. He’s a big body. Lekkerimaki also looks like the real deal. Podkolzin I think will take the next step. So will Klimovich and Raty. Petey, Miller, Kuzmenko, Mikheyev. 

Not sure where Höglander is going to fit in. Same with Boeser. At the end of the day we have too many wingers. We need another centre IMO and some more help on defence. 

Fair enough, but I'd at least like to see what he does at training camp, if he makes the team, and how he progresses from there. 

3 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Fair enough, but I'd at least like to see what he does at training camp, if he makes the team, and how he progresses from there. 

I’m pretty sure he’s sticking around this year. Might be best to get his trade value higher. I’m sure they will try and move Beauvillier to open up cap space. Long term I don’t think there is room for Höglander though. Unless he outplays Podkolzin which is always a possibility. 

It's going to be a battle, for sure. It's up to Podkolzin (RW) to make it absolutely impossible to send him down, though, if need be, he's still eligible. The "Hog" is (LW), so they're not in direct competition. It'll be an interesting training camp and pre-season, to say the least. 

C - Pettersson - Miller - Suter - Blueger - Joshua - Aman - Dries - Raty - Karlsson - Studnicka

LW - Beauvillier - Hoglander - Di Giuseppe - McDonough - Bains 

RW - Kuzmenko - Boeser - Podkolzin - Garland - Klimovich - Mikheyev (IR) 

Edit: Scratch that. Pearson was just traded. That does now open up the possibility of, most likely, McDonough, but Bains is in the mix, as well. 

Edited by Barn Burner

49 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hey don't get me wrong if all those players start turning out into NHL players then sure move him at any point. 

I do think you're giving the green light to so many of our prospects before we even know for sure if they'll make it. Klim, Raty and McD haven't shown much at all in the NHL yet and likely need more time in Abby. Lekkermaki had a bad year last year (injuries and illness) and is finally starting to look like the high draft pick again. Podz also had a down year like Hog last year. 

(side note on Kuz he is only signed for 2 years. If he really is a 40 goal scorer, then we may not be able to resign him and instead will need a cheaper option that can still help with offense). 

Not trying to be a downer, I'm glad McD and a few others looked great in the prospect games. I am just surprised how quick some want to toss out Hog when he actually had a solid NHL season already and has the skill set to make an impact if he keeps improving. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah hope we see some moves to get the most deserving on the team, having another cheap contract with McD helps a lot. 

• Cheers 1

Anyone thinking moving on from Hoglander now is a good idea didn't watch him in the A last season very much.  He absolutely deserves a good crack at the big show this year and McDonough needs a good year in the A to round out his game and work on his lower body strength and agility. Could both end up being key pieces of the Canucks or equally could both end up busts.  Lot of potential from both tho - they are trending up and up. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...