[Proposal] St Louis Blues Defenceman

Nope, not Parayko.

To VAN:

Justin Faulk

To STL:

Tyler Myers

Nils Hoglander

Conditional 3rd Round Pick (higher of the Canucks/NJD 4th round pick -- becomes 3rd round pick if Canucks make the playoffs)

St Louis is primed to start rebuilding.  Faulk is signed for another 3 seasons after this one.  He's 31 years old.  Blues get Hoglander, who is showing that he is ready for the NHL now.  Blues also get a pick that could be upto a 3rd rounder if the Canucks make the playoffs.  They can also retain 50% on Myers at the TDL and flip him for another asset.

Vancouver gets a bonafide top 4 RHD.  At 6' 217lbs, another big body that can play next to 6'1 225lbs Ian Cole.  He's struggling like most of the Blues squad, so a perfect time to buy low.  Yes he has a NTC, but here's the key (notice who he was SIGNED BY):

image.thumb.png.7bdbfabf0413434de7745ca33059437b.png

New look Vancouver Canucks defence:

Hughes-Hronek

Cole-Faulk

Soucy-Friedman

Excellent!

Edited by HKSR
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Nope, not Parayko.

To VAN:

Justin Faulk

To STL:

Tyler Myers

Nils Hoglander

Conditional 3rd Round Pick (higher of the Canucks/NJD 4th round pick -- becomes 3rd round pick if Canucks make the playoffs)

St Louis is primed to start rebuilding.  Faulk is signed for another 3 seasons after this one.  He's 31 years old.  Blues get Hoglander, who is showing that he is ready for the NHL now.  Blues also get a pick that could be upto a 3rd rounder if the Canucks make the playoffs.  They can also retain 50% on Myers at the TDL and flip him for another asset.

Vancouver gets a bonafide top 4 RHD.  At 6' 217lbs, another big body that can play next to 6'1 225lbs Ian Cole.  He's struggling like most of the Blues squad, so a perfect time to buy low.  Yes he has a NTC, but here's the key (notice who he was SIGNED BY):

image.thumb.png.7bdbfabf0413434de7745ca33059437b.png

New look Vancouver Canucks defence:

Hughes-Hronek

Cole-Faulk

Soucy-Friedman

Excellent!

Personally, I'd rather give them a higher pick than Hoglander if we can avoid letting him go. Hoglander has been really awesome for us to start the year and has solid middle six potential, especially with his eye / hand abilities.

IF St Louis is looking to move Faulk and IF he's willing to waive his NTC to come to Canada, I'd rather do something like:

To Vancouver:

Faulk

To St Louis

Myers

McDonough (I don't see a position for him in Vancouver in the near future, expendable)

2024 3rd round pick

2025 2nd round pick

I think St Louis can do better than that though for a skilled RD on a reasonable contract next summer.

The other problem is, it only works if we can move Garland or Beauvillier to create additional cap space or some other move that would free up about 750k.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Personally, I'd rather give them a higher pick than Hoglander if we can avoid letting him go. Hoglander has been really awesome for us to start the year and has solid middle six potential, especially with his eye / hand abilities.

IF St Louis is looking to move Faulk and IF he's willing to waive his NTC to come to Canada, I'd rather do something like:

To Vancouver:

Faulk

To St Louis

Myers

McDonough (I don't see a position for him in Vancouver in the near future, expendable)

2024 3rd round pick

2025 2nd round pick

I think St Louis can do better than that though for a skilled RD on a reasonable contract next summer.

The other problem is, it only works if we can move Garland or Beauvillier to create additional cap space or some other move that would free up about 750k.

I'd rather give up picks too, but I think that tells us that Hoglander is more valuable.  He's clearly NHL ready now, 4 points in 8 games playing limited minutes.  Strong on the puck, and like you said, he's gonna be a very solid middle 6 guy with some top 6 potential.

I think St Louis would seriously consider this if Hoglander is included.  Without him, I doubt they'd care to discuss.

• Cheers 1

I'm still nervous that Hoglander might at some point break out and become a bonafide top 6 guy. I'd only consider this deal closer to the deadline if we felt we had a real chance to do some serious damage in the playoffs.

• ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm still nervous that Hoglander might at some point break out and become a bonafide top 6 guy. I'd only consider this deal closer to the deadline if we felt we had a real chance to do some serious damage in the playoffs.

And that's why he has a lot of value now.  He's clearly ready to be a middle 6 guy, but has a ton of upside.  If we can land a top tier RHD locked into a manageable cap hit for a few seasons, it'd be worth it.

3 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

The picks aren't even enough to dump Myers.  But let's say they are.  You're left with Hoglander for Faulk.  I don't see any scenario where St Louis sees that as an attractive swap 

I'm sure a rebuilding team could live with eating Myers for half a year and getting a young NHL ready forward with top six potential and the extra $6 million in cap space that'll come with the deal as well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

The picks aren't even enough to dump Myers.  But let's say they are.  You're left with Hoglander for Faulk.  I don't see any scenario where St Louis sees that as an attractive swap 

Faulk has 4 seasons on his current contract (including this year).  He has 1 point in 7 games to start the season.  The Blues are heading straight into rebuild territory.  Teams on the rebuild are not gonna want or need Faulk.  Contenders won't want him either because of the term.  It's teams on the upswing like the Canucks that would want guys like that.  It's not without risk.  Faulk could stumble for the next 4 years and never be the player he was.

Hoglander has become a solid middle 6 with a lot of potential to become a top 6 forward.  The Blues also get a 3rd or 4th round pick out of it, and also will be able to flip Myers at the TDL for another pick.  They also only owe $1M to Myers in real money instead of $26M to Faulk. 

There's a lot that makes sense here when you dig into it.

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

I'm sure a rebuilding team could live with eating Myers for half a year and getting a young NHL ready forward with top six potential and the extra $6 million in cap space that'll come with the deal as well. 

Exactly.  Thanks.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

This combines last season with the last 8 games.  So basically last season.

Looking at the charts, it looks like 21-22 was a decent year for underlying numbers.  His WAR percentile was around 50%.  Not great, but not as bad as it looks from the 3 year average.  I think that 20-21 year is making him look particularly bad.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Looking at the charts, it looks like 21-22 was a decent year for underlying numbers.  His WAR percentile was around 50%.  Not great, but not as bad as it looks from the 3 year average.  I think that 20-21 year is making him look particularly bad.

He was excellent in 2021-22, St Louis's best player until a dirty Kadri elbow knocked him out for year with a concussion. 

• Cheers 1

Depends what that team want to do. If they want to rebuild or even retool, there's certainly a deal around Myers + pick for Faulk. Works cap-wise, then they can move on from him next year if they want, and positionally too. 

6.5M for Faulk for the next 4 years is pretty brutal though, he's still a good top-4 strong RD but he's 31 now and only going to get worse, and doesn't put up points anymore. I think a 2nd rounder would do the job, if we're giving up a first you'd have to think they retain a bit and so do we to make it work. For example, both teams retain 2M on the deals and we throw them a first.

I'd like to think there's better defencemen out there to acquire with a 1st (Pesce? Hanifin?) but if not, I'd certainly consider it. I'd rather an LD though because Cole can play on the right and Willander will be coming in soon enough in a few years.

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Faulk

Soucy - Friedman