WHL announces mandatory neck guard protection

Coconuts

What a GIANT overreaction! 
You had a dude who quite honestly was more suited/qualified to be serving snacks at the food stand of that English Hockey League opposed to actually being playing on the ice who clearly doesn't know how to throw a proper body check kick his leg up like he's Shawn Michaels throwing a Superkick.. I've watched A LOT of hockey.. This isn't a common occurrence. It's an Isolated incident.. No need to overreact and punish the kids that play the game the correct way!

When one fan died from pucks in the stands, netting went up across rinks like right away.

The NHL has been lucky the few bad skate cuts weren't fatal.

Thing is, there are minors involved in WHL hockey.  This death has shown that this is possible, with protective gear that is available.   This is a no brainer.

• Cheers 1

I know it was different circumstances, but I can do without seeing pools of blood and a player fighting for their life.  Yet there is a piece of protective equipment that can prevent these types of injuries available right now.  Pretty easy choice if you ask me.

• ThereItIs 1

I've been wearing a neck guard when playing for years. Only cumbersome part is at the end of the game my hair is all tangled in the velcro. Not sure why people make a big deal about not protecting a vital part of their body. Hasn't this been a thing that world Jr's have had in place for years as well.. why the rest of the hockey world so far behind the 8 ball?

On 11/2/2023 at 10:09 AM, Don Brodka Jr said:

What a GIANT overreaction! 
You had a dude who quite honestly was more suited/qualified to be serving snacks at the food stand of that English Hockey League opposed to actually being playing on the ice who clearly doesn't know how to throw a proper body check kick his leg up like he's Shawn Michaels throwing a Superkick.. I've watched A LOT of hockey.. This isn't a common occurrence. It's an Isolated incident.. No need to overreact and punish the kids that play the game the correct way!

Adam Johnson is NOT the first player to die of a skate injury to the neck.  A kid in New York died just last year because of it.  Think about that.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

Seems like a good idea, plus looking at the neck guards these days they look pretty non intrusive.

Goalies didn’t wear masks at one time. There was a belief the goalie wouldn’t be able to see the puck, especially when in his feet. 
Guys should be wearing a full body sleeve that covers their neck, wrists, and legs. And full visors too! 

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

Full disclosure: Oshie is the founder and owner of Warroad (the neck guard brand), but he has been promoting and even wearing it in-game before all of this.  He is also one of the more respected individuals in the league.

Good on him fot getting something like that going, they're needed 

On 11/2/2023 at 10:07 AM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Maybe they should start wearing chainmail...

71fziW-dyAL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I use a mesh glove like this ANY time I'm cutting ANYTHING at work. I've had my knife slip while cutting meat a few times, and felt the blade hit the glove, and anytime I do, I always say the same thing: "damn, that one would have been messy". 

Anyone who played hockey in the last 30 years likely had to wear them. As soon as we could not wear them, we all took them off. Not sure about mandating them but they have been available to all players to wear all along, so if they weren't wearing them I assume the players didn't want to. 

I think the puck does more damage than skates, maybe we should soften up the old rubber biscuit. 

10 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

I think the puck does more damage than skates,

Perhaps you could provide a link to a previous death of a player because they got hit by a puck?

I'll wait a bit, before disregarding your thoughts, as being completely wrong.

1 hour ago, 5forFighting said:

I heard that was just a completely ordinary play with life-ending consequences.  That type of shit should not be happening in the sport when they're wearing so much protective equipment.  

From January 1, 2024, players must wear cut-resistant neck protection / the rule book will be adjusted accordingly

In the German Ice Hockey League (PENNY DEL), all players must wear cut-proof neck protection from January 1, 2024. This is the unanimous result of the meeting of the sporting directors of all 14 clubs in agreement with the players' association (SVE) on November 6, 2023. The PENNY DEL rule book and guidelines will be adjusted accordingly.

The suppliers active in the league have promised to deliver the products on time. In addition, the PENNY DEL will also promptly provide its referees with appropriate protectors.

Gernot Tripcke, Managing Director of PENNY DEL, says: “Adam Johnson's tragic accident has deeply touched the entire ice hockey world. In order to ensure optimized protection, after in-depth discussions with clubs, players and suppliers, we wanted to take action as quickly and bindingly as possible.”

Florian Stenner, spokesman for the SVE players' association: “We as SVE support the unanimous decision of the PENNY DEL. In advance of the consultations, we obtained an opinion from players' circles and this showed that neck protection is important to the players. The fact that many players are already wearing appropriate protection underlines this once again.”

https://www.haie.de/news/penny-del-fuehrt-halsschutz-verpflichtend-ein/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-67340621

A coroner has called for neck guards in ice hockey to be compulsory following the death of a player whose neck was cut during a match.

Nottingham Panthers player Adam Johnson suffered the injury from a skate worn by Sheffield Steelers player Matt Petgrave on 28 October. 

Coroner Tanyka Rawden has written a prevention of future deaths report.

The Sheffield coroner said she was concerned deaths may occur in the future if neck guards were not worn.

The incident has been described as a "freak accident" by the Panthers.

The UK's top ice hockey division - the Elite Ice Hockey League (EIHL) - announced last week it would not make the use of neck guards mandatory but would "strongly encourage" players and officials to wear them after Johnson's death.

While governing body the English Ice Hockey Association previously said neck guards would be mandatory from 2024 onwards, that decision does not impact the EIHL, which is not under its control.

In the prevention of future deaths report, she said: "In my opinion there is a risk that future deaths will occur unless action is taken. In the circumstances it is my statutory duty to report to you."

She said she was concerned that the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) recommended neck guards or protectors to be worn, but there was no requirement for ice hockey players over the age of 18 to wear equipment designed to protect the neck.

The coroner added: "In due course the inquest will consider whether the use of a neck guard or protector could have prevented Mr Johnson's death.

"At this stage in my investigation however, I am sufficiently concerned that deaths may occur in the future if neck guards or protectors are not worn.

"In my opinion action should be taken to prevent future deaths and I believe you have the power to take such action."

The report has been sent to Ice Hockey UK and English Ice Hockey Association Limited, which have 56 days to respond.

The inquest was opened and adjourned on Friday.

On Saturday, fans and mourners came together at the Motorpoint Arena in Nottingham to pay tribute to Johnson.

Every Panthers games since Johnson died has been postponed, and the club has announced two games this weekend - on 11 and 12 November - will also be rescheduled.

The EIHL and the Nottingham Panthers said in a joint statement: "The players and staff of the Nottingham Panthers are still coming to terms with what happened just over a week ago."

The Panthers added the club "would like to thank fans for their support at such a difficult time".

On Monday, a celebration of life event took place in his home town of Hibbing, Minnesota.

Omar Pacha, chief executive of The Panthers, spoke at the event and described Johnson as the "ultimate professional".

He said: "I'd often bump into Adam at the rink or at a game and every time I'd see him I would check 'How's everything Adam'.

"The response was always the same, 'All good Omar. Great group of guys and I'm really enjoying it here' and a big smile.

"And I will never, ever forget two words he would always finish every conversation with everyone at the area - 'Thank you'.

"Always humble, always polite, always grateful, that was our number 47."

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

I heard that was just a completely ordinary play with life-ending consequences.  That type of shit should not be happening in the sport when they're wearing so much protective equipment.  

@Gurn decided to leave after pudding with proof in it was delivered.

The truth is, there have been 100,000's of games happen. 1 thing happen and knee jerk is the reaction. 

The game is more safe than ever. Just leave it alone. Some people just LOVE mandating things onto others. And 

16 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

The truth is, there have been 100,000's of games happen. 1 thing happen and knee jerk is the reaction. 

The game is more safe than ever. Just leave it alone. Some people just LOVE mandating things onto others. And 

Do you know which NHL player died because of an in-game injury?  His death sparked a movement for leaguewide helmets and there is an annual trophy named after him.

People need to die for changes to happen.  It's a grim reality but that's what it takes.  I'm very surprised you're being this dismissive of everything.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Do you know which NHL player died because of an in-game injury?  His death sparked a movement for leaguewide helmets and there is an annual trophy named after him.

People need to die for changes to happen.  It's a grim reality but that's what it takes.  I'm very surprised you're being this dismissive of everything.

Not just hockey.  All kinds of jobs need extra safety precautions because something happened with horrific results.  If you don't want to wear the equipment required, don't sign the contract.  We'll likely see more innovation with neck protection that causes minimal issues for the players.

21 hours ago, 5forFighting said:

My apologies, when I said 'I'll wait" I did not literally mean I'd wait. I was more saying "Good luck" finding something. Seems my covid bout  still had me in a brain fog.

As to your linked story.- wow, that is both surprising and bizarre. Thanks for the link.

I'm not entirely sure why anyone would be against change if it's to protect people, change can be good. Once upon a time most people drove without seatbelts, things changed. 

Why wouldn't a death spark change? Why wouldn't teams, leagues, and so on want to protect their players? 

The argument that it doesn't happen very often is a poor one considering the solution is quite a simple one. If players don't like current neck guards I'm sure there'll be a market for any innovations that make them easier to adjust to.

League added helmets, more sophisticated protective gear, and visors as time has gone on, don't see why this would be much different.

I don't care who didn't use x for however long, good for you. If you wanna brag about not using a seatbelt too, go for it. Times change and leagues are implementing change regardless of what you think.

Edited by Coconuts

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The argument that it doesn't happen very often is a poor one considering the solution is quite a simple one.

A former Chief officer I worked with put this as

'It's not the chances of it happening, it is the consequences, if it does".

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1