Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

On 3/25/2024 at 1:08 PM, Mackcanuck said:

It seems odd to me that Swe would have a 'try-out' for their WC squad?  Any players eligible would either come from the NHL non-PO teams and/or the other Euro pro non playoff teams, just like us I would've thought?  A try-out for this team seems like a different way of doing things at the end of a long season,  no?

2 hours ago, Sativika said:

Last year's Worlds had Adam Fantilli in the line up. Didn't he have to try out for the Canadian team too?!?!?!???!?!? 

I don’t think any of Canada’s players “try out” for the WC club. It’s all invitation. A lot of guys say no, and the club’s management has to go down the list to fill the roster. Fantilli would have been invited to play. 
The Euro teams are different. To the vast majority of their players being on a WC team is the pinnacle of achievement. So a young guy like Lekkerimaki would need to try out, because there would be a lot of professional players trying to make the club too. 

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

I don’t think any of Canada’s players “try out” for the WC club. It’s all invitation. A lot of guys say no, and the club’s management has to go down the list to fill the roster. Fantilli would have been invited to play. 
The Euro teams are different. To the vast majority of their players being on a WC team is the pinnacle of achievement. So a young guy like Lekkerimaki would need to try out, because there would be a lot of professional players trying to make the club too. 

Thanks for that, Alflives. I seem to recall Fantilli and Bedard were both invited, but Bedard opted not to, where as Fantilli had a desire to, yes?!?!??

So once the Canadian roster is chosen from the invites that want to participate, are they pretty much a lock?  Don't they like over pick and then weed 'em out till they get their twenty whatever players?

I know. Lotsa questions of this subject matter. I think Lekker trying out for his home Sweden is a boon for the Canucks. Especially if he succeeds and has a great tourney. I mean, I'm already stoked about this kid. An adjustment to the smaller N.A ice surface and he'll be golden.

1 hour ago, Sativika said:

Thanks for that, Alflives. I seem to recall Fantilli and Bedard were both invited, but Bedard opted not to, where as Fantilli had a desire to, yes?!?!??

So once the Canadian roster is chosen from the invites that want to participate, are they pretty much a lock?  Don't they like over pick and then weed 'em out till they get their twenty whatever players?

I know. Lotsa questions of this subject matter. I think Lekker trying out for his home Sweden is a boon for the Canucks. Especially if he succeeds and has a great tourney. I mean, I'm already stoked about this kid. An adjustment to the smaller N.A ice surface and he'll be golden.

Reality is, thats how we lost Bear. Now I am not comparing Lek to Ethan.... but Canucks are a different team this year. Its possible Lek is more valuable to the Canucks as a Lady in Waiting than Bear was when we were out of the playoffs...

Just my opinion. I think a playoff NHL debut for Lek would be totally awesome in the 3rd or 4th round beside Brock and Miller

14 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I thought he did ok actually for his first game.

It was probably an eye opener for him tho. It was a rough playoff style game all night.

As for his first game, he didn’t blow any assignments, if he was checking a forward, he would stick with him and play him close, but not physical.

Offensively he tried to find open spots but not much room, he didn’t get many chances to shoot the puck. Made a few nice clean passes. His assist he got (which was taken away) was because he shoveled the puck along the boards to McDonaugh and he somehow flubbed it over to Sasson who then ripped the puck into the net. I don’t know why they took the assists away because both McD and Lek were in on the play. 

When he skated with the puck he looked timid, smaller ice and nasty game, he looked to make quick passes and keep the puck moving. Not a bad thing but I felt there was nerves from him to carry the puck.

Overall pretty good first game. He wasn’t afraid to go into the corners either. I’m always so nervous about that with lighter players from euro leagues whether they can handle that kind of game.

This is why it is sometimes better just to get the prospect into the NHL.  I don’t think Lekkerimäki’s game suits the AHL.  There are too many goons in that league looking to make a name for themselves.  Look what happened to Podkolzin.  I’d rather Lekkerimäki go to Europe and play in the WC and then come to training camp next year and hopefully make the Canucks right out of the gate on Petey’s wing…

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is why it is sometimes better just to get the prospect into the NHL.  I don’t think Lekkerimäki’s game suits the AHL.  There are too many goons in that league looking to make a name for themselves.  Look what happened to Podkolzin.  I’d rather Lekkerimäki go to Europe and play in the WC and then come to training camp next year and hopefully make the Canucks right out of the gate on Petey’s wing…

I don’t disagree. It’s a fair point. AHL is a great hockey league. But old school goonery is alive and well in it. 

There would be more room for Lek in the NHL…until the playoffs. Then it’s just as tight as the ahl. I was sheepishly hoping we would see Lek in the top 6 for a game or two with the big club. Could still be possible as we close the season out.

It’s actually bothered me for a while how “potatoes” the ahl is. But it’s their job to teach the basics. There isn’t much room for finesse in the league. Not the way we see it in the NHL.

I still think it’s a great league but it’s mostly for training the bottom 6 of your roster. And your bottom 4 D. At least in my opinion.

Goalies actually develop quite well in the ahl however. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I don’t disagree. It’s a fair point. AHL is a great hockey league. But old school goonery is alive and well in it. 

There would be more room for Lek in the NHL…until the playoffs. Then it’s just as tight as the ahl. I was sheepishly hoping we would see Lek in the top 6 for a game or two with the big club. Could still be possible as we close the season out.

It’s actually bothered me for a while how “potatoes” the ahl is. But it’s their job to teach the basics. There isn’t much room for finesse in the league. Not the way we see it in the NHL.

I still think it’s a great league but it’s mostly for training the bottom 6 of your roster. And your bottom 4 D. At least in my opinion.

Goalies actually develop quite well in the ahl however. 

Yes, I agree 100%.  Not alot of star players go to play in the AHL.  The ones that do are the late bloomers.  Most of the star players in the NHL come either straight from junior, straight from the NCAA or straight from Europe.  Goalies are an exception for sure, but they don’t have to worry too much about the goonery and the “potatoes” of the league.

I don’t mind D-Petey being down there as he is big and strong and it will help his physical game. However, I don’t want Lekkerimäki or even Willander anywhere near the AHL, at least not for any extended period of time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, I agree 100%.  Not alot of star players go to play in the AHL.  The ones that do are the late bloomers.  Most of the star players in the NHL come either straight from junior, straight from the NCAA or straight from Europe.  Goalies are an exception for sure, but they don’t have to worry too much about the goonery and the “potatoes” of the league.

I don’t mind D-Petey being down there as he is big and strong and it will help his physical game. However, I don’t want Lekkerimäki or even Willander anywhere near the AHL, at least not for any extended period of time.

Yup. The AHL is a goon league. Elite skill shouldn't be there. 

• Cheers 1

Love seeing DPetey being physically aggressive. Don't touch Lekker! It's a great part of his game and comes naturally to him.

Can't wait until they both are ready for the big club. 

And I agree with others. The Ahl is a very tough league with a ton of cheap shot idiots looking to hurt people. 

I'm always nervous about our prospects playing there. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

D Petey looked good last night. Wasn’t afraid at all. Love it. I think he’ll stay in the lineup moving forward.

Cicek bothers me greatly on the LD side. He’s always taking penalties. Take him out and keep Petey in.

He proved last night he belongs. Needs some polish but nice first game with lots of runway to build off of.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Wasn't Cijek playing as a forward until Woo ran into penalty trouble? We had 11 F and 7 D dressed

They have been using Kannock Leipert as a D-Man a lot this season much to my chagrin. Would prefer he be developed as a forward instead, even though he is not signed to an ELC and is on an AHL only contract.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

They have been using Kannock Leipert as a D-Man a lot this season much to my chagrin. Would prefer he be developed as a forward instead, even though he is not signed to an ELC and is on an AHL only contract.

Did he see any time as a forward with the Giants, or was he strictly Defense