Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

31 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

The thing about long term contracts, they look bad right now but with a couple years inflation and the player getting better, they look amazing.

Look at JT Miller?

Even Bo Horvat at 8.5 for 7 years would be amazing right now.

Debrusk contract is going to pay divedends in 2 or 3 years, maybe even this year.

I did not like the EP40 amount, but realist in me knows he will earn it over the term. Canucks need some long term core, fill the blanks with UFA's and ELC's.

If you look at the Panthers, they have at least 4 signed for the next 6 years, and have cap space. Toronto, the opposite, 4 or 5 overpaid long term contracts.

Edmonton will be in the problem too, as they did not sign Drycycle and MdWhiner for long enough contracts and will have to pay soon

But still, Miller, DeBrusk and Hronek are going to be deep in their 30s when their contracts are up.  So I don't know how many more contracts you want like that, might be risky.  

26 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

But still, Miller, DeBrusk and Hronek are going to be deep in their 30s when their contracts are up.  So I don't know how many more contracts you want like that, might be risky.  

We lost Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli, and a few others I blacked out when their contracts expired too soon, all deserved raises and we couldnt.

If we continue to have record high seasons for all these guys, we cant keep them on short term contracts.

Can we keep Boeser if he scores 50 next year and 106 points? oh, Lek is goinna fill that slot on elc... ok gotcha.

We just saw what happens when Zaderov has a great half season on a good team. Is he worth his new contract? time will tell. But better to sign someone you know like Boeser before he out earns his affordabilty. Sign him now for a 0.9 pts per game value or lose him next year at a 1.4 pts per game value.

Just sayin.

53 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

We lost Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli, and a few others I blacked out when their contracts expired too soon, all deserved raises and we couldnt.

If we continue to have record high seasons for all these guys, we cant keep them on short term contracts.

Can we keep Boeser if he scores 50 next year and 106 points? oh, Lek is goinna fill that slot on elc... ok gotcha.

We just saw what happens when Zaderov has a great half season on a good team. Is he worth his new contract? time will tell. But better to sign someone you know like Boeser before he out earns his affordabilty. Sign him now for a 0.9 pts per game value or lose him next year at a 1.4 pts per game value.

Just sayin.

Incompetence really, not to be mean but Benning spent $11 million on the 4th line.  If he was shrewd  like Alvin we could have kept Toffoli and Tanev. Any you're absolutely dead on with the short term contracts like Petey's bridge deal. We could have locked him up long term when he was scoring 60 points

Edited by Pure961089
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Incompetence really, not to be mean but Benning spent $11 million on the 4th line.  If he was screwed like Alvin we could have kept Toffoli and Tanev. Any you're absolutely dead on with the short term contracts like Petey's bridge deal. We could have locked him up long term when he was scoring 60 points

right. Jack Hughes deal looks better every year. But Pettersson deal will look great in 3 years when we see what Edmonton is gonna do with Mcdavid and Drysitel. Long term contracts on skilled players like Boeser are worth it. I wish we still had Horvat on his new contract, 8.5 doesnt seem like much, but I do like our new captain Hughes.

34 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

Right but ELC in minors doesnt affect NHL ELC terms. So for example, Podz is at risk for waivers because he already played X number of games 2 years ago.

Silvos is a good example. The reason why we could extend him so cheap is because of # of games played regular season.

Of course I am not an expert, but if we play Lek for 40 games this year he gets a big contract a year earlier. (2027 I think at the end of his ELC)

Silvos was on a similar ELC and they got him signed Cheap for 2 more years because of limited NHL games.

So it's the waiver eligibility then? I'm not concerned about that, to be honest. 160 NHL games, or 4 years until waivers apply to him. If he's good enough to play 160 by the end of his ELC, then we don't really need him to be exempt. If he's earned a good payday, there are plenty of expiring contracts between then and now, and we can move someone if we need to. The cap may well be around $100m for the 27-28 season as well, with OEL's dead cap back down to $2.1m.

13 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

right. Jack Hughes deal looks better every year. But Pettersson deal will look great in 3 years when we see what Edmonton is gonna do with Mcdavid and Drysitel. Long term contracts on skilled players like Boeser are worth it. I wish we still had Horvat on his new contract, 8.5 doesnt seem like much, but I do like our new captain Hughes.

As much as I like Bo. $8.5 Million and he hasn't even cracked 70 points. $8 million for Miller is an absolute steal. Not to mention J.T. Miller has 30 points in 30 playoff games for Vancouver. It's pretty clear Miller makes Boeser a better player. Not so sure about Horvat's line mates. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

So it's the waiver eligibility then? I'm not concerned about that, to be honest. 160 NHL games, or 4 years until waivers apply to him. If he's good enough to play 160 by the end of his ELC, then we don't really need him to be exempt. If he's earned a good payday, there are plenty of expiring contracts between then and now, and we can move someone if we need to. The cap may well be around $100m for the 27-28 season as well, with OEL's dead cap back down to $2.1m.

Do we know who needs to clear waivers?  Hoglander can't be send down, Podkolzin would be snapped up, Karlsson, Bains?  They're 23/24 years old. We can't really afford to lose these kids for nothing but that's the business I guess.

Edited by Pure961089

3 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Do we know who needs to clear waivers?  Hoglander can't be send down, Podkolzin would be snapped up, Karlsson, Bains?  They're 23/24 years old. We can't really afford to lose these kids for nothing but that's the business I guess.

I would say if Lekkerimäki makes the team, that probably means either Sprong or DiGi get sent down through waivers.

If I'm reading Puckpedia right, Bains is exempt until the end of this season due to his 3 year window being up, and he's only played 8 games out of his 80 game requirement. Karlsson also has his 3 year window expiring, only playing 4 games out of his 60 required. Capfriendly made it easier, lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

This is a nice piece of work done by Daniel Gee showing Lekkerimaki's dynamic rushes.  I just think he would be the last Thanos gem for the Canucks. 

Here is shows his defensive game.  He feels like a David Pastrnak tier of talent. He was on a bubble team that didn't have much going for it expect him. 

Here he is creating space for himself using his lateral movement and fantastic skating.

Edited by Pure961089
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 2

11 hours ago, EastCoastExpress said:

I have been an enthusiastic Canucks fan for 40 years. I really understand how pumped you are for another Hughes or Petterson or Boeser or Bure rookie year.... But Sedins were pushed too quickly and the media and fans were all over them for the first 3 years. Was horrible!

Sedin Sisters. Canucks fans calling them Sisters.

With signing Boeser, Demko and Hughes long term extensions (the rest of our current CORE) , we need our CORE 2.0 players to be starting on ELC's for those years and as the Cap goes up we get to keep everyone.

First, you can”t put your eggs in a basket with Hughes.

We don’t know anything what he choose.

If we really want to be sure winning with Hughes we have to throw everything in that makes us better.

Second, AHL is great for bottom six or those only filling a part in top six.

Lekkerimäki is a top six player already wich means AHL makes him worse.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

This is a nice piece of work done by Daniel Gee showing Lekkerimaki's dynamic rushes.  I just think he would be the last Thanos gem for the Canucks. 

Here is shows his defensive game.  He feels like a David Pastrnak tier of talent. He was on a bubble team that didn't have much going for it expect him. 

Here he is creating space for himself using his lateral movement and fantastic skating.

Plenty of great moves there and the little bit we saw late last year in Abby. There's plenty to learn at the NHL level and he'll have the right coach for it.

Looking forward to see how Tocchet teaches him how to throw the big body checks and take them too. Anything to get or retain the puck.

Get into scuffles around the opponent's net..

8 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

First, you can”t put your eggs in a basket with Hughes.

We don’t know anything what he choose.

If we really want to be sure winning with Hughes we have to throw everything in that makes us better.

Second, AHL is great for bottom six or those only filling a part in top six.

Lekkerimäki is a top six player already wich means AHL makes him worse.

Lekky will only be in Abby until he has adjusted to the smaller ice and physical game of

NA hockey.  I fully expect he'll join the big club before Christmas.

16 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

I would say if Lekkerimäki makes the team, that probably means either Sprong or DiGi get sent down through waivers.

If I'm reading Puckpedia right, Bains is exempt until the end of this season due to his 3 year window being up, and he's only played 8 games out of his 80 game requirement. Karlsson also has his 3 year window expiring, only playing 4 games out of his 60 required. Capfriendly made it easier, lol.

I'm still puzzled to why the Caps would buy Capfriendly just to shut it down.  Doesn't seem friendly at all.  Asked search why and it gave no good excuses at all.  Just terrible optics for the Washington Capitals.  Did Capfriendly expose the organizations incompetence on the regular?

Screenshot_20240811-142752~2.png

Edited by Pure961089
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Plenty of great moves there and the little bit we saw late last year in Abby. There's plenty to learn at the NHL level and he'll have the right coach for it.

Looking forward to see how Tocchet teaches him how to throw the big body checks and take them too. Anything to get or retain the puck.

Get into scuffles around the opponent's net..

I think he will be great one day, but those are not NHL defenseman he is scooting around.... thats an instant turnover and 5 on 4 against.

Ive actually watched some sprong and Hienen replays in actual NHL levels and saw just as much or more... and then there is Sherwood on top of that.

I dont see room for Lek to get into the lineup, or even Podz, for that matter.

18 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Yeah Puckpedia doesnt know all the cap rules it seams, and they dont track the daily cap hit, which is huge if you are not in LTIR.

Because the cap is actually calculated per game... if not using LTIR, the cap per game is accrued and available at TDL.....

So if Demmers is out 10 games, that is (5,000,000/82=70,000, times 10 games not on roster 700,000 accrued cap space (less the callup's cap hit, per game so not much)

So where it really adds up is if Petey gets finger tendonitis and sits out 10 games, its like 1.5 million extra cap to add to the accrued poolman cap....

Then by the trade deadline, you can add a new guy with double the accrued cap space because his cap per games remaining in the season is less than half of new guy's AAV.

So CapFriendly did understand and eplain this but you had to have premium access for the Daily cap hit counts.

PuckPedia sucks.

Puck pedia thinks that Poolman's cap hit makes no difference in LTIR or just sitting there till trade deadline. So yeah fans think LTIR is $2.5 million which we just spend right away, but if we dont go into LTIR there are other ways to get almost double the cap for when we need it in the last few months.

12 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

I think he will be great one day, but those are not NHL defenseman he is scooting around.... thats an instant turnover and 5 on 4 against.

Ive actually watched some sprong and Hienen replays in actual NHL levels and saw just as much or more... and then there is Sherwood on top of that.

I dont see room for Lek to get into the lineup, or even Podz, for that matter.

Lek, I think will be first but (and this may be a wee bit unpopular), To me, Podkolzin looks to become pretty much a full time minor league player, who 

could be called up if there's a couple of injuries. It's just what I've see..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Lek, I think will be first but (and this may be a wee bit unpopular), To me, Podkolzin looks to become pretty much a full time minor league player, who 

could be called up if there's a couple of injuries. It's just what I've see..

Its def. unpopular, we all love Podz but he needs to play with skilled players to be effective. more ice time. Would be nice to see them try Podz with JT and Brock for 10 games before putting him on waivers. I dont like giving up on the young guys before they even get the ice time.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

As much as I like Bo. $8.5 Million and he hasn't even cracked 70 points. $8 million for Miller is an absolute steal. Not to mention J.T. Miller has 30 points in 30 playoff games for Vancouver. It's pretty clear Miller makes Boeser a better player. Not so sure about Horvat's line mates. 

Oh, for sure, I am just saying Bo's 8.5 is a steal for Iislanders, but Miller is really worth 10 and a bigger steal! I think even Boeser is going to be over 8, shouldnt be a shocker but will be worth it as he continues to grow into his 30s like Miller has.

Lek is not going to have room in the lineup till the cap constraints do not allow us to pick up UFAs like we just did. So after Boeser, Demko, Hughes we will be using hopefully more matured Lek, Pods, Bains, Ratu, Sasson, Bloom and hopefully a few others.

1 hour ago, EastCoastExpress said:

Its def. unpopular, we all love Podz but he needs to play with skilled players to be effective. more ice time. Would be nice to see them try Podz with JT and Brock for 10 games before putting him on waivers. I dont like giving up on the young guys before they even get the ice time.

No chance we can give him away on waivers.

Trade him for a player like Soderstrom instead of just giving him away.

At least we might be able to salvage something from him if it comes to that.

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No chance we can give him away on waivers.

Trade him for a player like Soderstrom instead of just giving him away.

At least we might be able to salvage something from him if it comes to that.

I think Podz clears waivers. Or gets 10 games with brock and JT and scores 6 goals, 5 helpers.... and then we move someone else

Actually, if he doesnt make the big team out of training camp, does he even get on waivers? Anyone know?

Edited by EastCoastExpress

5 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

I think Podz clears waivers. Or gets 10 games with brock and JT and scores 6 goals, 5 helpers.... and then we move someone else

Actually, if he doesnt make the big team out of training camp, does he even get on waivers? Anyone know?

There’s always a team that will take a chance on a 23 year old former top 10 pick.

We need to trade him for a D man if he’s not part of the plans.

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There’s always a team that will take a chance on a 23 year old former top 10 pick.

We need to trade him for a D man if he’s not part of the plans.

Canucks still need to be that team, willing to take a chance. If not this season then for sure when his RFA comes up in 2 years, when we have no cap room due to resign Demko.

Podz has more value than Soderstrom, for sure. Wolanin, Woo, Juuleson, D-Petey all way more advanced than Soderstrom. Quit reading the province man! Go watch some Abby games this fall!

I wish I could!

Soderstrom is a natural overly offensive D-man. His plus/minus tells you he plays like a forward, not a D-man. His whole career is filled with getting scored on more than scoring. you cant blame that on the goalies year after year, on all teams. Last year had 9 goals, but still a -8, which makes him responsible for 17 goals against!

2023-24 undefined flagArizona Coyotes NHL 3 0 0 0 0 -1              
  undefined flagTucson Roadrunners AHL 62 9 23 32 34 -8
Edited by EastCoastExpress

21 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Not a chance it would be Sprong, 100% Pizza Man though

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Not a chance it would be Sprong, 100% Pizza Man though

Yeah, I pretty much based that on forward contracts that can be fully buried in the minors, aside from Högs and Pods.

• Cheers 2