Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

Have we seen anything like this?  With the Canucks were conditioned to not get our hopes up but our prospects are unreal atm.   I do remember when we all got excited about Jonathan Dahlen and Adam Gaudette.  So I'm trying not to get too excited, but this hardly ever happens for the Canucks. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Have we seen anything like this?  With the Canucks were conditioned to not get our hopes up but our prospects are unreal atm.   I do remember when we all got excited about Jonathan Dahlen and Adam Gaudette.  So I'm trying not to get too excited, but this hardly ever happens for the Canucks. 

Not that I could remember since we drafted the sedins. Now in the cap era when you can't simply sign all the good players. Drafting and developing your own prospects is ever so important. It's crazy how Canucks is just catching up on it now. Better late than never I guess. 

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

SHL is a good league and for him to be producing there at his age is a great sign.  With the big shooters like him the question probably comes back to if he can skate at the NHL level.  Gaudette had some great tools but my opinion is he wasn’t quite there from a skating side which limited what he could do.  Dahlen similar not quite explosive enough.  Lekkerimaki just has that X factor snipe ability that at minimum he can be a complimentary scoring winger power play guy.  Will be exciting to see how the rest of his season goes.

1 hour ago, flat land fish said:

SHL is a good league and for him to be producing there at his age is a great sign.  With the big shooters like him the question probably comes back to if he can skate at the NHL level.  Gaudette had some great tools but my opinion is he wasn’t quite there from a skating side which limited what he could do.  Dahlen similar not quite explosive enough.  Lekkerimaki just has that X factor snipe ability that at minimum he can be a complimentary scoring winger power play guy.  Will be exciting to see how the rest of his season goes.

I love his skating for today's game. Not elite speed but he's quick, shifty, deceptive. He loves to use the 10-2 thing, but skill coaches have been getting so much better at integrating it into real-game situations than the days of a Jeremy Bracco or even early Jeff Skinner. His two most effective uses of ten two are  1. off the puck offensively, he supports play effectively without having to turn his body too much and can stay close and on top of the play, and 2. Although I haven't seen him do it as much in pro yet, when playing against his peers he does that Lucas Raymond-type thing where if he finds a moment of space up the middle lane, he can dart seamlessly in any direction with some force. Of course he'll need to continue to add muscle and power to improve his first step to be upper end at the NHL level.

Even I was not expecting this kind of production in the SHL this quickly though. He's doing "Cy Young" numbers but I do think his playmaking will come across a little better on the small ice and faster pace of the NHL.

Edited by MatchesMalone
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Willander the Great said:

I was thinking the exact same thing about Naslund! He reminds so much of him. This kid is looking special. 

Naslund had 22 goals in 39 games in the SEL at 19 years old.  Lekkerimaki has 7 goals in 12 games.  So he is on a pace for around 25 goals this year.  Petey had 24 goals as a 19 year old.  

I would say Lekkerimaki is on track to be a top 6 forward in the NHL, maybe a 30-goal scorer.  He could be in the NHL next season, which would be perfect timing as we have to make a decision on Boeser in the summer...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, flat land fish said:

Is Lekkerimäki's skating that poor? 

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Naslund had 22 goals in 39 games in the SEL at 19 years old.  Lekkerimaki has 7 goals in 12 games.  So he is on a pace for around 25 goals this year.  Petey had 24 goals as a 19 year old.  

I would say Lekkerimaki is on track to be a top 6 forward in the NHL, maybe a 30-goal scorer.  He could be in the NHL next season, which would be perfect timing as we have to make a decision on Boeser in the summer...

If Brock wants to remain in Van, he's probably have to take a discount. No way he's getting more than 6M. Maybe 5M? 

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Probably too early to tell whether Lekkerimäki is going to be a top six. But the offensive trend for him is encouraging. I get the sense that Lekkerimäki may need some AHL development time. Petey was so good that he didn't even need the A. So we'll see I guess. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

If Brock wants to remain in Van, he's probably have to take a discount. No way he's getting more than 6M. Maybe 5M? 

If he's getting 30+ goals this year, then he will definitely want $7 million on an 8 year deal.  We can't afford both him and Kuzmenko.  If Lekkerimaki is the real deal and gets 25 goals this year and comes over to the NHL next year then it makes it alot easier to trade Boeser.  I like the chemistry that Petey has with Kuzmenko and Mikheyev completes that line.  Lekkerimaki with Miller would be dynamic.  Just need a left winger similar to Mikheyev to complete that line, or a power forward.  Maybe Podkolzin is that guy.  If not, we'd have to trade for someone...

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Probably too early to tell whether Lekkerimäki is going to be a top six. But the offensive trend for him is encouraging. I get the sense that Lekkerimäki may need some AHL development time. Petey was so good that he didn't even need the A. So we'll see I guess. 

Both Petey and Naslund made the jump at 20 years old.  There is no reason to think Lekkerimaki needs an additional year if he is at 25 goals this year.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Both Petey and Naslund made the jump at 20 years old.  There is no reason to think Lekkerimaki needs an additional year if he is at 25 goals this year.  

The SHL is the third best league outside the KHL and NHL, so yeah if he can cut the mustard there, as long as he can transition well to a more intense faster smaller arena and way more games, he wil do fine

• Cheers 1

if he keeps up the scoring pace he would translate to a third liner/ second liner and score about 40 points over 82 gp, but it doesnt take much swing in either direction for them to be a 50 point player or a 30 point player

it really is amazing this time last year eveyone was calling him a bust in his d1 year... really?

Edited by Dankmemes187
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pete is an exceptional player who started putting up points as soon as he joined the NHL. 

Naslund struggled for a couple of years before finally joining the Pens full time at 22yrs.  

Lekker might need a few games in the AHL to adjust to the small rink.  The speed and physicality

in the NHL can be quite a learning curve in itself.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Pete is an exceptional player who started putting up points as soon as he joined the NHL. 

Naslund struggled for a couple of years before finally joining the Pens full time at 22yrs.  

Lekker might need a few games in the AHL to adjust to the small rink.  The speed and physicality

in the NHL can be quite a learning curve in itself.

The Sedins also struggled a little when they came over, albeit they were only 18 and away from home for the first time.

It's not unusual for Euro's to have an adjustment period when coming to North America. The speed of the game, the smaller rink, 

more skilled players. I'm OK if he needs a year in the AHL. If he doesn't then even better. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 10/21/2023 at 9:16 AM, 204CanucksFan said:

Wow, kid is playing great. Nice to see. We throw away so many picks that we rarely see players turn out. The thing is you don't need a lot of players to work out. Even one, like if Lekkerimaki makes it is huge. That allows you to play a guy a mil or so on an ELC and then bring in another high end player making 5 or 6 million and dropping a 6 million (Boeser cough  cough) dollar player you don't want. It's like getting two upgraded players you desire for the price of one. It's a crucial aspect in a league with such parity.

Edited by Gawdzukes

Great to see J.L absolutely on fire this season.  I'm happy to eat crow in that i thought he was a sure fire bust after all his struggles last year. 

Hope his form continues, and he stays injury and sickness free. 

We do need to get him over to the NA next year for sure. He will need to round out his overall game if he's going to make it stick in the NHL.