Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

7 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

just because you dont like their politics, they are still likely ranked second, then the SHL then the AHL

Ok, thanks.

I speculated that their war in Ukraine, sanctions, etc, may be impacting the KHL negatively.

SHL>AHL eh?  That's interesting too.

Cheers!

30 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Ok, thanks.

I speculated that their war in Ukraine, sanctions, etc, may be impacting the KHL negatively.

Cheers!

there has been a few people that ran from russia and the KHL, but it was like half a dozen. money talks and the KHL pays well, its why you see so many players from russia return back home... a player like Trymakin who might have been a top 4or 5th defenceman in the NHL is like a top player in the KHL and the KHL pays big to entice them to come home. the average salary in the KHL is 425K US but the top players are in the millions.

Top 10 Best Ice Hockey Leagues (thehockeywriters.com) this article has AHL ranked 8th in the world...it makes sense that the big hockey markets top league is ranked higher, they all pay better than the AHL, and the ahl isn't allowed underagers and many top ranked prospects might not play more than a handful of games in the AHL, choosing the NCAA and a education over a slightly better league or jumping straight to the NHL.

while this conversion tool doesn't tell half the story, using it and checking past season stats gives you a little idea...

NHLe Calculator - Frozen Tools (dobbersports.com)

Edited by Dankmemes187
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Ok, thanks.

Cheers!

The top ten would go:

1 - NHL
2 - KHL
3 - SHL
4 - AHL
5 - SM-Liiga
6 - Swiss NL
7 - Czech Extraliga
8 - VHL (Russia2)

9 - DEL (Germany)
10 - HockeyAllsvenskan

In my mind the order of the top 4 isn't really up for dispute. 5/6 is where it starts to get close/tricky then a slight dip. 7-9 are all razor close and then another bit of a dropoff before 10.

If you read a list which has AHL ahead of SHL and/or KHL (there are some out there), it's because of a methodological flaw.

• Thanks 1

The SHL is a bit over the AHL but probably under the KHL. If Kuzmenko put up over a PPG in the K and ends up just under a PPG, then Lekker is probably scoring at a 0.5 PPG clip for the NHL right now.

Obviously long way to go but he's surely going to blow up the AHL when he arrives. The big difference will be physicality though but good to have him already playing against big strong older men.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, MatchesMalone said:

The top ten would go:

1 - NHL
2 - KHL
3 - SHL
4 - AHL
5 - SM-Liiga
6 - Swiss NL
7 - Czech Extraliga
8 - VHL (Russia2)

9 - DEL (Germany)
10 - HockeyAllsvenskan

In my mind the order of the top 4 isn't really up for dispute. 5/6 is where it starts to get close/tricky then a slight dip. 7-9 are all razor close and then another bit of a dropoff before 10.

If you read a list which has AHL ahead of SHL and/or KHL (there are some out there), it's because of a methodological flaw.

Do you watch any or a lot of non-NHL hockey?

Not being a smart ass, though I often am, I am just leading up to my question.

Would you put these leagues in the same order by 'the eye test'?

12 minutes ago, MatchesMalone said:

No, I was just shooting off the top of my head.

15 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

there has been a few people that ran from russia and the KHL, but it was like half a dozen. money talks and the KHL pays well, its why you see so many players from russia return back home... a player like Trymakin who might have been a top 4or 5th defenceman in the NHL is like a top player in the KHL and the KHL pays big to entice them to come home. the average salary in the KHL is 425K US but the top players are in the millions.

Top 10 Best Ice Hockey Leagues (thehockeywriters.com) this article has AHL ranked 8th in the world...it makes sense that the big hockey markets top league is ranked higher, they all pay better than the AHL, and the ahl isn't allowed underagers and many top ranked prospects might not play more than a handful of games in the AHL, choosing the NCAA and a education over a slightly better league or jumping straight to the NHL.

while this conversion tool doesn't tell half the story, using it and checking past season stats gives you a little idea...

NHLe Calculator - Frozen Tools (dobbersports.com)

Interesting list but there's no way a junior league is better than a lot of those secondary hockey countries top leagues. Slovakia, IceHL, and ECHL would rank ahead of any junior league. There's a good argument to be made that USports should rank ahead of OHL, and of recent years it wouldn't be easy to convince me that the OHL is better than the Dub.

I also can't buy that the AHL isn't in the top 5, albeit toward the back end of the top 5.

1 hour ago, Dankmemes187 said:

not sure... he was listed as C/W in his draft report...

Cheers amigo.
I just seem to remember, there were a lot of talk about whether he coukd be a C in the NHL, which Benning and co saw him as, when he first arrived. 
Obviously the rest is history...

My thought were more towards if Petey could make the transision, maybe JL could as well....

If Petey doesn't want to sign or want ridiculous money, could JL potentially be next in line? I don't think so, and certainly hope Petey signs long term with Canucks, but there are no guarentees in this game, so who knows....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The SHL is a bit over the AHL but probably under the KHL. If Kuzmenko put up over a PPG in the K and ends up just under a PPG, then Lekker is probably scoring at a 0.5 PPG clip for the NHL right now.

Obviously long way to go but he's surely going to blow up the AHL when he arrives. The big difference will be physicality though but good to have him already playing against big strong older men.

if he continues like this, it could maybe be argued that he should start in the NHL like Petey did?

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Goal_thecup said:

Do you watch any or a lot of non-NHL hockey?

Not being a smart ass, though I often am, I am just leading up to my question.

Would you put these leagues in the same order by 'the eye test'?

No, I was just shooting off the top of my head.

I do. Some more than others. The quality of the KHL is pretty clear with a small amount of viewing. (I didn't include here but I al The thing that stands out pretty quickly is the pace and level of physicality compared to the more European leagues. They've been using the small ice for a couple years now. SHL is tougher to compare with the eye test because of the wide ice.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Dankmemes187 said:

not sure... he was listed as C/W in his draft report...

For sure there was uncertainty when Petey arrived. He had played almost all of his last season a Vaxjo on the wing. Benning and Green were going to "try" Petey at centre to see if he could handle the rigours of being a fulltime NHL centre. He could and he did.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Cheers amigo. 
Yes seemed to remember the yalk about whether he was too skinny to play C in the NHL. 

He was a little skinny and soft on faceoffs we even sheltered him with Jt for a bit 

then jt would do faceoffs and petey would play down low like a C  sometimes 

he always had the mind of a C tho

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, he also played RW at the junior nationals.

They didn’t deploy him right was weird political Swedish thing that team management imo 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Kuz Missile would be great if he could play without the puck. Boeser plays a lot heavier game. IMHAO we will keep Boeser and Lekkerimaki will push Kuz Missile out. 

which game was it that Brock played heavy? I've never seen him out muscle anyone anywhere except the beach. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

The top ten would go:

1 - NHL
2 - KHL
3 - SHL
4 - AHL
5 - SM-Liiga
6 - Swiss NL
7 - Czech Extraliga
8 - VHL (Russia2)

9 - DEL (Germany)
10 - HockeyAllsvenskan

Interesting. I have it a bit different based on recent years. I have Czech XL, Swiss NL above the AHL in a tier with the SHL all very close. But thats just my opinion not based on anything more than watching. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

I do. Some more than others. The quality of the KHL is pretty clear with a small amount of viewing. (I didn't include here but I al The thing that stands out pretty quickly is the pace and level of physicality compared to the more European leagues. They've been using the small ice for a couple years now. SHL is tougher to compare with the eye test because of the wide ice.

Watching the game on a smaller ice surface seems like a faster game IMO.  Kinda like driving down the highway at 120 in a big caddie or doing the same speed in a small compact. It's the same speed.... but looks/feels completely different. The biggest difference I notice is the space and time to make plays. It seems faster because players are on top of you quicker because there's less space, players need to be able to process the game quicker. The amount of space behind the net and angles also play into it.

JMO though.           

8 hours ago, R3aL said:

He was a little skinny and soft on faceoffs we even sheltered him with Jt for a bit 

then jt would do faceoffs and petey would play down low like a C  sometimes 

he always had the mind of a C tho

They didn’t deploy him right was weird political Swedish thing that team management imo 

Aye spot on @R3aL...

That how I remembered it as well. 
Miller 'protected' him somewhat to start with, with Bo centering the other line. 

On 10/30/2023 at 8:19 AM, Bob Long said:

I think Brock would have to score 40-50 goals this year and next to get 8 mil, no? 

I don't think he's getting there as much as I love the player. 30 goals, maybe, assuming he keeps at his pace. But he's definitely scoring 20-25 this year, I think

On 10/30/2023 at 12:06 PM, Rusty Shackleford said:

Boeser and Kuz will follow Captain Q and take deals to stay in Van.  5.5m each, Canucks get depth scoring Boes stays with his BFF's Petey and Huggy, and Kuz stays with his BFF Mik.  Everyone's happy! 😃

I wish man. But I don't think Brock takes anything less than 6M. 

Kuzmenko probably the same. if Allvin can get both of them to sign for 5.5. Give him GMOTY. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I wish man. But I don't think Brock takes anything less than 6M. 

Kuzmenko probably the same. if Allvin can get both of them to sign for 5.5. Give him GMOTY. 

Kuzmenko already makes $5.5 million, so he'd have to resign for the same money he's making now. 

IF his points production goes up I don't see it happening. However, he may experience the dreaded sophomore slump,

which could give us some negotiating leverage.

2 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Kuzmenko already makes $5.5 million, so he'd have to resign for the same money he's making now. 

IF his points production goes up I don't see it happening. However, he may experience the dreaded sophomore slump,

which could give us some negotiating leverage.

I know it's a business at the end of the day. But if these guys wanna stick together and play together, something's gotta give. I think the winning helps. If we were at the Benning era, not sure anyone would be willing to give any sort of "discount" to consistently lose. But might be that the organization is turning a corner, and maybe, just maybe some players might be willing to give discounts to the team to stay together. It happened with the 2011 team didn't it? 

Brock is younger, though than Kuzmenko, but it kinda feels like Kuzmenko is more dynamic but older. What is Kuz on pace for? 

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I know it's a business at the end of the day. But if these guys wanna stick together and play together, something's gotta give. I think the winning helps. If we were at the Benning era, not sure anyone would be willing to give any sort of "discount" to consistently lose. But might be that the organization is turning a corner, and maybe, just maybe some players might be willing to give discounts to the team to stay together. It happened with the 2011 team didn't it? 

Brock is younger, though than Kuzmenko, but it kinda feels like Kuzmenko is more dynamic but older. What is Kuz on pace for? 

More empty seats across the NHL not just Winnipeg. Fans are finding it harder to buy tickets. Many NHL clubs are factoring CAP increases that might not be realized.