Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

25 minutes ago, The Duke said:

The one area Benning left us in a good position was his core that you mentioned.   With Boeser “back” the drafting flips back to a positive despite Virtanen / Juolevi, imo. 

Other poster also mentioning McWard and Hirose as if Stecher/Hutton are still a hopeful outcome for their careers.  

Anyways, I love what new management has done so far but for all his missteps, Benning had some flat out grand slams drafting Petey, Hughes and Demko while trading for Miller.

Boeser is a tier or two lower, but another big win. And the jury is still out on Hoglander, Podkolzin and Silovs (despite his slow start.)

Lekkerimaki at 15 OA looks like a solid pick after his start to this season - but until he’s in the NHL making something happen it’s all just opinion.

100% and I’m very pleased with what this current management group has done to add to this roster.

Benning was here to build and that was it, playoffs were only a bonus if it were possible. Which is why he did get extended… twice. Which if it wasnt for our star players aside from Demko, Hughes and Miller, massively under performing (BB6 understandably so) we would have been a playoff team in 2021-22. 2022-23 was pretty much all goaltending that let us down. I’d say Benning might have been let go last season, not the season prior if our star players performed from day 1.

The way I see it is Benning was here to do the grunt work, the Burke/early Nonis years… He built a very promising core very quickly and it just needed time to go through some growing pains, just like Colorado did with Landeskog and Mackinnon.

I view this regime as the Gillis era. Adding the final touches and building up a solid bottom 6 and secondary scoring and a little work on the top 4. My only hope is that PA does not go full Gillis/JR and mortgage the future. I want to see this group go forward and make smart trades without giving up tons of 1st and 2nd round picks a few years down the road. Gillis gave it everything to win a cup and came so close, but he sacrificed everything and set us soooo far behind… luckily JB drafted strong the first 5 years and hit several home runs, one in each area 1C 1D and 1G. PA and JR have my support, right now if you look at this team and compare it to the 2010-11 team construction, Benning was like Burke/Nonis and PA is like Gillis. This team is on the up while many teams at the top are on the down and the cap disaster in Edmonton is going to get very very ugly.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

100% and I’m very pleased with what this current management group has done to add to this roster.

Benning was here to build and that was it, playoffs were only a bonus if it were possible. Which is why he did get extended… twice. Which if it wasnt for our star players aside from Demko, Hughes and Miller, massively under performing (BB6 understandably so) we would have been a playoff team in 2021-22. 2022-23 was pretty much all goaltending that let us down. I’d say Benning might have been let go last season, not the season prior if our star players performed from day 1.

The way I see it is Benning was here to do the grunt work, the Burke/early Nonis years… He built a very promising core very quickly and it just needed time to go through some growing pains, just like Colorado did with Landeskog and Mackinnon.

I view this regime as the Gillis era. Adding the final touches and building up a solid bottom 6 and secondary scoring and a little work on the top 4. My only hope is that PA does not go full Gillis/JR and mortgage the future. I want to see this group go forward and make smart trades without giving up tons of 1st and 2nd round picks a few years down the road. Gillis gave it everything to win a cup and came so close, but he sacrificed everything and set us soooo far behind… luckily JB drafted strong the first 5 years and hit several home runs, one in each area 1C 1D and 1G. PA and JR have my support, right now if you look at this team and compare it to the 2010-11 team construction, Benning was like Burke/Nonis and PA is like Gillis. This team is on the up while many teams at the top are on the down and the cap disaster in Edmonton is going to get very very ugly.

Yeah, I’ve seen the Benning as Burke/Nonis and Allvin as Gillis parallel too. Obviously not the same as GMs but in that Benning left a lot of elite pieces but Allvin comes in to finesse the supporting cast in place and really work the cap. 

Either way - the result is a pretty fun team to watch and Allvin looks to have kept up with some decent drafting to boot.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Yeah, I’ve seen the Benning as Burke/Nonis and Allvin as Gillis parallel too. Obviously not the same as GMs but in that Benning left a lot of elite pieces but Allvin comes in to finesse the supporting cast in place and really work the cap. 

Either way - the result is a pretty fun team to watch and Allvin looks to have kept up with some decent drafting to boot.

And thats the one thing Gillis really lacked, drafting. Had he made changes to the scouting department or been able to identify talent on his own, we could have seamlessly transitioned from the Sedin era into the next era and continued pushing for playoffs. Or built primary scoring and had the twins as secondary scoring.

If we missed on any one of Demko, Hughes or Pettersson, this would be such a hard road ahead even for this team. The great thing is we have guys in place for many years and we can slowly develop players and bring them up at the right time

22 hours ago, filthy animal said:

I dunno if id call them minimal, people here were pretty stoked about goldobin, dahlen coming here. The kesler trade had the team hampered, but the package they received was decent. Could they have gotten a better deal? Sure but you can say that about a lot of trades. 

I get what your saying that ntcs did help in resigning players but they were also warranted since that team was made to win now, they were consistently top 10 in the standings in the few years gillis was there leading up to 2011. 

Goldobin and Dahlen were the best crap we could get ... anyone paying attention back then saw that Gillis' NTC land killed any chance of turning over the team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

If I had a complaint, it's that we don't have much access to any of this action except for the  odd time. Not asking for full game coverage,

just something a little more detailed. Chris really does his best to get what he can. Much appreciated...    😃

Sweden stream the swedish ganes for free so you should be able to watch them.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 11/3/2023 at 1:48 PM, AnthonyG said:

Bahahaha great logic

Benning built the core that is crystal clear, idk how you struggle to accept that and doubt it? Allvin added the support. you come across as valuing the support more than the core.

Lmao switch the timelines and tell me how your core would stack up against the rest of the league

Mikheyev+Kuzmenko+Lafferty+Soucy+DeSmith 

Congratulations!! Im so happy Allvin could find a couple guys in the top 6 and mostly bottom 6 additions!! His impact is so much greater than JB!! Realistically Mikheyev and Kuzmenko would not have signed here without any hopes of winning a cup, thanks to the core in place courtesy of JB.

JB = Burke+Nonis

PA = Gillis

Be thankful for JB, he found elite players that are the future and give us the best chance of winning a cup. Now PA and JR have the easy task of finding secondary scoring/role players. Not franchise players who change the game. Get your head on straight bud.

Any GM who stays with a team for almost a decade will have players they have found. The real question is, had another GM been in Benning's place, would there have been a more successful team within those same number of years?

It's fine to be thankful for what JB has brought, but it's also reasonable to think that other GMs could have done better. I'm sure there's even GMs that could have done worse.

At the end of the day, the core was unsuccessful until now. Because JB hasn't been GM for a couple of years now, that's going to be up to interpretation on if JB was a good GM or not, of which there are arguments for and against that. While we can't deny the core was brought in by JB, it did take a decade and he did make trades that also hampered us a lot.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

On 11/4/2023 at 9:59 AM, Gawdzukes said:

Goldobin and Dahlen were the best crap we could get ... anyone paying attention back then saw that Gillis' NTC land killed any chance of turning over the team.

We turned Burrows and Hansen to a 1st and 2nd round prospect. At that time, were you or were you not doing cartwheels when that deal happened? of course you were.

If we traded Pearson for a 1st round prospect, there would be a 50 page thread of hype instantly

On 11/3/2023 at 7:20 PM, AnthonyG said:

You want to know what mortgaging the future is? Trading a 1st and 2nd for your boy OEL and Garland, adding 12 million of garbage to our cap. Or how about trading more early round picks than the Burke Gillis and Nonis COMBINED

Get your facts straight fanboy. Gillis gave up very very little to acquire Erhoff, Lapierre and Higgins

Edited by filthy animal

1 minute ago, LillStrimma said:

You should post more insights from the scouting world. 

I will try to do that. Not that I have any actual inside information but with enough research and knowing where to look I can provide some useful/interesting information. In the past I've broke down the Ottawa Senators scouting staff pick by pick for over a decade to provide insight into which scouts were responsible for which picks; I'd love to try doing this for the Canucks as well eventually. I also do mock drafts every year where I try to predict draft picks based on the tendencies of each team's top couple scouts. I've also been trying for a while now to put together some kind of list or ranking of the best scouts from around the league.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MatchesMalone said:

I will try to do that. Not that I have any actual inside information but with enough research and knowing where to look I can provide some useful/interesting information. In the past I've broke down the Ottawa Senators scouting staff pick by pick for over a decade to provide insight into which scouts were responsible for which picks; I'd love to try doing this for the Canucks as well eventually. I also do mock drafts every year where I try to predict draft picks based on the tendencies of each team's top couple scouts. I've also been trying for a while now to put together some kind of list or ranking of the best scouts from around the league.

The hell you doing it for the Senators for! Lets see some Canucks content in here, wouldn't mind seeing your breakdowns

Edited by filthy animal

5 hours ago, filthy animal said:

You want to know what mortgaging the future is? Trading a 1st and 2nd for your boy OEL and Garland, adding 12 million of garbage to our cap. Or how about trading more early round picks than the Burke Gillis and Nonis COMBINED

Get your facts straight fanboy. Gillis gave up very very little to acquire Erhoff, Lapierre and Higgins

Hey bud, idk if you are aware, Benning BUILT the future.