Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

On 11/3/2023 at 3:44 PM, Rekker said:

Gotta say. Looks like some fine young talent brewing, but damn, are we not ripe with young prospects with impossible to spell and remember names. Lol. No Smiths, no Jones, give me an Edwards, something. Holy crap.

You'll know how to spell 'em once they're engraved on The Cup.

GCG!!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, filthy animal said:

We turned Burrows and Hansen to a 1st and 2nd round prospect. At that time, were you or were you not doing cartwheels when that deal happened? of course you were.

If we traded Pearson for a 1st round prospect, there would be a 50 page thread of hype instantly

Nah I wasn't doing cartwheels. Both were hung on to for too long because they hid behind their NTC's and those prospects weren't great at all. If we actually got a first and second rounder they would have been good deals. I didn't hate them but they weren't great. Still doesn't change that all those NTC buried us in the ground.

Pearson should never have been re-signed in the first place and should have been traded for a second in 2020. I'm happy we got anything but overjoyed with CD.

Almost forgot to add. What a whiny little bitch Dahlen was lol.

37 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Anthony... Would you please stop hijacking these threads... I dont have access to watch games and often not even radio.  I rely heavily on this site for one stop canuck news.  But when I come to a thread that should be about a certain player... It ends up being about Benning some how.  

Why not start a separate thread that's specific to your arguments? 

Would be much appreciated.

Quote and re-quote this until the pain stops.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Anthony... Would you please stop hijacking these threads... I dont have access to watch games and often not even radio.  I rely heavily on this site for one stop canuck news.  But when I come to a thread that should be about a certain player... It ends up being about Benning some how.  

Why not start a separate thread that's specific to your arguments? 

Would be much appreciated.

Put the filthy animal back in the cage, the guy has been calling me out out of absolutely nowhere. Maybe read back and see where it stems from instead of point a finger. If someone says something I’ll fire right back. 

10 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Put the filthy animal back in the cage, the guy has been calling me out out of absolutely nowhere. Maybe read back and see where it stems from instead of point a finger. If someone says something I’ll fire right back. 

As a father of sons, I'll say that sometimes who started it is not the most important thing.

As a hockey fan who likes to read info somewhat related to the thread title, I'll say that threads that go far off topic can truly be a pain.

One of you two guys should just start another thread.  A Benning thread would get more traffic anyway.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Satchmo said:

As a father of sons, I'll say that sometimes who started it is not the most important thing.

As a hockey fan who likes to read info somewhat related to the thread title, I'll say that threads that go far off topic can truly be a pain.

One of you two guys should just start another thread.  A Benning thread would get more traffic anyway.

As a father of children and often coach for hockey and soccer, I’ve found that ignoring who started it is the best path for enabling bullies and perpetuating the misery of victims. I have found that giving victims tools to handle bullying is as essential as allowing bullies no rewards for their bad behaviour. 

Just responding to your diversion of the thread just to show how it happens.

The main reason Benning comes up almost everywhere is because his incompetence as a gm affected nearly every aspect of the Canucks  As the many land mines Benning left for his successors are disarmed, Benning will fade into history. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Nah I wasn't doing cartwheels. Both were hung on to for too long because they hid behind their NTC's and those prospects weren't great at all. If we actually got a first and second rounder they would have been good deals. I didn't hate them but they weren't great. Still doesn't change that all those NTC buried us in the ground.

Pearson should never have been re-signed in the first place and should have been traded for a second in 2020. I'm happy we got anything but overjoyed with CD.

Almost forgot to add. What a whiny little bitch Dahlen was lol.

Considering what we did get for Burrows and Hansen at that point in their careers. It was great value. Both of them would play 1 more season and their careers were done. 

Pearson was re-signed because we needed to find ways to create some cap space when the cap was frozen with no idea when it would begin to rise again and how quickly/much it would rise. We had upcoming deals on much more important pieces. Pearson served as a placeholder

• Like 1

Just now, AnthonyG said:

Considering what we did get for Burrows and Hansen at that point in their careers. It was great value. Both of them would play 1 more season and their careers were done. 

Pearson was re-signed because we needed to find ways to create some cap space when the cap was frozen with no idea when it would begin to rise again and how quickly/much it would rise. We had upcoming deals on much more important pieces. Pearson served as a placeholder

Should have been traded way earlier when they had peak value. NTC's screwed that. 

Signing players to $3.25 million dollar contracts is a very poor way to create cap space. Screwed us for the following two years and we were lucky to get out from it this year.

Canucks prospects Lekkerimäki and Pettersson will suit up in the Five Nation’s Tournament this weekend

The Five Nation’s hockey tournament kicked off this morning in Chomutov, Czechia, and will run all weekend long.

As the tournament’s name suggests, it consists of five countries — Sweden, Finland, Czechia, Switzerland and Slovakia — and will see each team play each other once.

The Vancouver Canucks will be represented by two prospects, as Jonathan Lekkerimäki and Elias Pettersson are set to suit up for Team Sweden, who kicks things off on Thursday morning.

For Lekkerimäki, this will be his first appearance on the International stage since last winter’s World Junior Championships.

The 19-year-old sharpshooter is enjoying a stellar season in the SHL, following a disappointing draft plus-one year, riddled with injuries and inconsistent play. With eight goals, he currently sits second (tied) among SHL goalscorers, and his 11 points are already two over what he accomplished in 29 games at the Allsvenskan level last season. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Should have been traded way earlier when they had peak value. NTC's screwed that. 

Signing players to $3.25 million dollar contracts is a very poor way to create cap space. Screwed us for the following two years and we were lucky to get out from it this year.

100% this was part of the problem Gillis created. It left us with our hands tied for too long. He was too afraid to make changes after coming so close. Which is entirely understandable, who wants to fuck with what almost worked? But hindsight is 20/20 

Pearsons extension was 3 years which lined up with some important upcoming contract negotiations.

I dont see where his cap hit screwed us? Who did we lose? Who couldnt we afford? Add another mil or 2 for any other played and we might have missed out on Mikheyev and Kuzmenko. There was no certainty with the cap and we had to be cautious. Nothing long term and nothing of significant cap %

58 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Gunna be one helluva weapon on an ELC as we contend. This is the kinda players cup winners have had in their system that come up at the right time and fit under the cap with ease and help put a team over the top

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

100% this was part of the problem Gillis created. It left us with our hands tied for too long. He was too afraid to make changes after coming so close. Which is entirely understandable, who wants to fuck with what almost worked? But hindsight is 20/20 

Pearsons extension was 3 years which lined up with some important upcoming contract negotiations.

I dont see where his cap hit screwed us? Who did we lose? Who couldnt we afford? Add another mil or 2 for any other played and we might have missed out on Mikheyev and Kuzmenko. There was no certainty with the cap and we had to be cautious. Nothing long term and nothing of significant cap %

Yeah I agree on Gillis. He got scared to screw with a good thing. I would have been hesitant as well. Just too many NTC's froze everything in the end. 

I rather liked JB until the Pearson move. That sealed his demise for me. I was always able to understand his somewhat odd moves like signing 4th liners to big money for multiple years but when he signed Pearson it became abundantly clear he didn't understand how to properly build a team that complimented each other. The team needed a bonafide winger to play with Bo, not yet another spare 3 million dollar part for the coach to try to figure out.

As is it cost us our last $3.25 mil and it was a huge detriment to our ability to complete the team. People always argue it was a fair deal, which it may have been, but that's completely besides the point. It was a complete waste of money as he signed a similarly useless piece in Dickinson, and we saw that borne out the last two years here in Van as we were cap strapped from upgrading the team.

That money should have been earmarked for a winger upgrade and filled with ELC sub million dollar contracts. Same problem we now have with Garland. Look at how desperately our d needed an upgrade last year, everyone knew it but we were broke and had Pearson stinking it up instead. At that point in time we were a rubbish hockey club in the middle of a Covid induced Canadian division. No way we should have been spending money on middling wingers ... it served no purpose except to waste cap space.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I agree on Gillis. He got scared to screw with a good thing. I would have been hesitant as well. Just too many NTC's froze everything in the end. 

I rather liked JB until the Pearson move. That sealed his demise for me. I was always able to understand his somewhat odd moves like signing 4th liners to big money for multiple years but when he signed Pearson it became abundantly clear he didn't understand how to properly build a team that complimented each other. The team needed a bonafide winger to play with Bo, not yet another spare 3 million dollar part for the coach to try to figure out.

As is it cost us our last $3.25 mil and it was a huge detriment to our ability to complete the team. People always argue it was a fair deal, which it may have been, but that's completely besides the point. It was a complete waste of money as he signed a similarly useless piece in Dickinson, and we saw that borne out the last two years here in Van as we were cap strapped from upgrading the team.

That money should have been earmarked for a winger upgrade and filled with ELC sub million dollar contracts. Same problem we now have with Garland. Look at how desperately our d needed an upgrade last year, everyone knew it but we were broke and had Pearson stinking it up instead. At that point in time we were a rubbish hockey club in the middle of a Covid induced Canadian division. No way we should have been spending money on middling wingers ... it served no purpose except to waste cap space.

All in all, I’d rather a 3.25mil 3year mistake, than a league max 9.25mil mistake 

IMG_1029.jpeg.1ac8425202c06ab21dee88371e458677.jpeg

All in all…. We did just end up with DeSmith who is a legit back up that only improved our chances of playoffs before the season started. Pearson played pretty damn good for what his cap hit was. He was also one of the first guys in on any liberties taken on anyone on the ice. He had like 3-4 tilts last year in under 15 games.

Also what ELC wingers did we have in the pipeline who were ready? No reason to rush anyone. We could finally develop players while we had placeholders to allow for it

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

All in all, I’d rather a 3.25mil 3year mistake, than a league max 9.25mil mistake 

IMG_1029.jpeg.1ac8425202c06ab21dee88371e458677.jpeg

All in all…. We did just end up with DeSmith who is a legit back up that only improved our chances of playoffs before the season started. Pearson played pretty damn good for what his cap hit was. He was also one of the first guys in on any liberties taken on anyone on the ice. He had like 3-4 tilts last year in under 15 games.

Also what ELC wingers did we have in the pipeline who were ready? No reason to rush anyone. We could finally develop players while we had placeholders to allow for it

Yup. It wasn't horrible and Pearson is a great dude but it could have been done better. If you look to defend it sure you can always find a justification as you've done here. In my mind we should have been proactively trying to get better with that cap space not making excuses for why it was "not that bad", in hindsight. I could clearly see that at the time. We could have had elc's had we not traded so many picks or just signed a 1 million dollar checker instead and used that money elsewhere like on defence. Pearson wasn't pivotal for anything. It's not like we had some perfect team and that cap couldn't have been better put to use.

Everyone sees it different. For me that was when I knew it wasn't going to end well. It reminds me of when your boss hires another worker to solve your workflow problems except the problem is in the process itself. You're like thanks I guess for the effort but it didn't accomplish anything really and you could have just addressed the actual  problem instead. He doubled down instead and wasted another 2.5+ and assets on Dickinson. Very poor team building.

And yeah, Nurse sucks. 100% agreement there. 

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Yup. It wasn't horrible and Pearson is a great dude but it could have been done better. If you look to defend it sure you can always find a justification as you've done here. In my mind we should have been proactively trying to get better with that cap space not making excuses for why it was "not that bad", in hindsight. I could clearly see that at the time. We could have had elc's had we not traded so many picks or just signed a 1 million dollar checker instead and used that money elsewhere like on defence. Pearson wasn't pivotal for anything. It's not like we had some perfect team and that cap couldn't have been better put to use.

Everyone sees it different. For me that was when I knew it wasn't going to end well. It reminds me of when your boss hires another worker to solve your workflow problems except the problem is in the process itself. You're like thanks I guess for the effort but it didn't accomplish anything really and you could have just addressed the actual  problem instead. He doubled down instead and wasted another 2.5+ and assets on Dickinson. Very poor team building.

And yeah, Nurse sucks. 100% agreement there. 

No GM is perfect, every team has bad contracts and guys that underperform. See Huberdone in CGY. I mean shit Gillis had Booth and Matthias which are the equivalent to Pearson and Eriksson in terms of cap hit%. Difference is Gillis had those terrible contracts while we were trying to compete/contend. Which sunk the Sedins hopes quite quickly. By the time we signed Eriksson, it was a moot point, we were rebuilding in the background and in the basement of the league. 

We should be thankful these players/contracts that didnt work out were in the early years, not during the prime of our star players careers. This jumbo jet just took off and it aint landing any time soon. So long as PA and JR continue to do their due diligence and find quality players in area's we need help or need to retool in, this window to win could last a decade. 

I'm thankful Gillis gave it everything to try and win a cup, we came up 1 win short, 2 presidents trophies, but at the cost of the future and his inability to identify talent and draft well, it set us so far back. JB hit several home runs after making changes to our scouting department that sped up the growing pains at the draft table and saved us probably another 3-5 more drafts to find that Pettersson or that Hughes or that Demko. JB came in to build, he got 2 contract extensions based off of draft results and the impact the players were having early on. It was the pains of youth that ultimately cost him his job. Petterssons brutal 2021-22 first half was a major learning lesson/growing pain, something all rebuilds go through. Pettersson learned how important it is to show up to camp early and be ready to go from the moment pre-season starts so he is completely dialed in by the time regular season starts. Everybody gained that mentality this off-season and the results are rackin up in the W column.

• Cheers 1