Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

I'd just like to know who people think had the most impact on Lekkermaki being drafted and signed.  Would it be Gillis or Benning?

Tomas Gradin by far. 2nd most would be Patrik Allvin, who was GM at the time. Senior scouts like Rob Delorme and Todd Harvey would have done crossover. Recently hired Swedish scout Bobby Hagelin would have been consulted.

1 minute ago, MatchesMalone said:

Tomas Gradin by far. 2nd most would be Patrik Allvin, who was GM at the time. Senior scouts like Rob Delorme and Todd Harvey would have done crossover. Recently hired Swedish scout Bobby Hagelin would have been consulted.

Dont forget super scout Rachel Doerrie....🥸 

4 hours ago, Satchmo said:

I'd just like to know who people think had the most impact on Lekkermaki being drafted and signed.  Would it be Gillis or Benning?

I mean Lekkermaki was projected to be a top 10 pick going as high as 7 on some sites from what I recall. Him being available at our pick 15th overall was a steal. A lot of teams like to reach on centers or dmen passing over smaller wingers. I guess commend the scouting staff and Alvin for not doing the same and picking the best player available regardless of position.

• Vintage 1

18 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Nah I wasn't doing cartwheels. Both were hung on to for too long because they hid behind their NTC's and those prospects weren't great at all. If we actually got a first and second rounder they would have been good deals. I didn't hate them but they weren't great. Still doesn't change that all those NTC buried us in the ground.

Pearson should never have been re-signed in the first place and should have been traded for a second in 2020. I'm happy we got anything but overjoyed with CD.

Almost forgot to add. What a whiny little bitch Dahlen was lol.

Hate to burst your bubble but even when Burrows and Hansen were in their absolute prime, they were not gonna fetch a 1st round pick

Pearson resigning was on Benning

The puck just explodes off his stick. 

Watching the game vs Czechia, they had a 5 on 3 & they were setting up all the shots for ASP instead of JK. Finally Lekkerimaki got a chance to shoot one & he missed but it was a rocket. 

Then ASP finally scored & he picked up an assist on it. So atleast there's that.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

19 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

What I like most about Lekkerimaki's development is that he is no longer a powerplay merchant. In his draft and D+1 year, he pocketed most of his points 5v4. But you are seeing him find ways to look dangerous, generate chances, and drive offense 5v5. I was a little iffy at first about Lekkerimaki, but he is really taking this year by force.

To be fair, I would expect any prospect to have flaws that need work. As a result, I tend to not worry about prospects for a couple of years as they need that time to develop into what we want anyway. Of course, this evidently does not always happen so prospects like Juolevi (as an example) I would tend to start getting nervous in about the 3rd year after draft, although injuries are also a thing obviously that could quicken that nervousness.

Good article from The Province, Lekker is looking better and better...

Jonathan Lekkerimaki

The dangles. The wheels.

The deadly finish.

Put Jonathan Lekkerimaki up against his peers like we saw at the Five Nations tournament this past weekend and his star goes supernova.

Playing for Sweden at a warm-up tourney for next month’s World Juniors, the sharpshooting 19-year-old scored on a sensational solo effort against Slovakia on Saturday and tallied four points (1G, 3A) in three games as Sweden took home the title on Finnish soil.

Playing with former Djurgarden teammate Noah Ostlund, Lekkerimaki looked fast and dangerous throughout, wheeling and dealing and making things happen for his linemates.

Ostlund, taken by the Buffalo Sabres one pick after Lekkerimaki at No. 16 overall in 2022, finished the tournament with one goal and four assists.

Lekkerimaki will get his third crack at making an impact at the upcoming World Juniors, which start on Boxing Day and will be held on home turf for the Swedes.

The Canucks prospect hasn’t been very good at the showcase event, tallying just one goal and six assists in 14 games over the last two tournaments. But this time, the 5-foot-11, 172-pound right-shot winger is feeling his game and firing on all cylinders.

Lekkerimaki has eight goals in 13 SHL games this season (good for second in the league) and three assists.

Abbotsford Canucks centre Aatu Raty plays the puck in a game against the Tuscon Roadrunners in late February at the Abbotsford Centre.
Abbotsford Canucks centre Aatu Raty plays the puck in a game against the Tuscon Roadrunners in late February at the Abbotsford Centre.
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

On 11/11/2023 at 5:21 AM, filthy animal said:

Hate to burst your bubble but even when Burrows and Hansen were in their absolute prime, they were not gonna fetch a 1st round pick

Pearson resigning was on Benning

lol, you were the one that mentioned first and second round prospects. That I said would have been a deal  if they were actual picks and yeah they certainly would have gotten more if moved earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

Lekkerimaki still has a long way to go to be an impact player in the NHL, I think we have to be temper expectations for the mean time. He has been playing great and is showing off his high level of skill. Guys like Fagemo and Bemström both had similar production at the age of 19 years old in the SHL and both hit waivers this year. It is a tough transition to the NHL. Lekkerimaki may get there and be a top 6 guy in the show, but there is a good chance he struggles at least at first. I think he might end up being a Victor Olofsson type player in the NHL.

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Lekkerimaki still has a long way to go to be an impact player in the NHL, I think we have to be temper expectations for the mean time. He has been playing great and is showing off his high level of skill. Guys like Fagemo and Bemström both had similar production at the age of 19 years old in the SHL and both hit waivers this year. It is a tough transition to the NHL. Lekkerimaki may get there and be a top 6 guy in the show, but there is a good chance he struggles at least at first.  

Yup totally fair to say. He has a long way to go still. Maybe a year or two in the AHL then trying for the big club. The game in North America is faster and tougher, so we'll see how he fairs when he is tested in those environments. 

I'm happy that he's having more success this year compared to last. Injury and sickness suck and I'm glad he's found his game again. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 11/30/2023 at 12:42 PM, Bure_Pavel said:

Lekkerimaki still has a long way to go to be an impact player in the NHL, I think we have to be temper expectations for the mean time. He has been playing great and is showing off his high level of skill. Guys like Fagemo and Bemström both had similar production at the age of 19 years old in the SHL and both hit waivers this year. It is a tough transition to the NHL. Lekkerimaki may get there and be a top 6 guy in the show, but there is a good chance he struggles at least at first. I think he might end up being a Victor Olofsson type player in the NHL.

Definitely has work to do, but that shot is NHL quality now. He needs to develop the rest of his game so that he can be a 200 foot guy in the NHL.